Expat Shield

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Expat Shield

Postby SpanishBlue » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Is anyone here using Expat Shield?

http://www.expatshield.com/

It's a FREE VPN allowing you to watch UK TV eg, as if you are based in the UK.

There is a 5 GB download limit per Month, and with some applications (like TV Ants), you can disconnect from the VPN as soon as you are watching your TV programme, to save on your 5 GB allowance.

I had a quick look at it recently, but I worry it may be riddled with adware & spyware (or worse) etc.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Expat Shield

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 pm

There is a discussion about Expat Shield here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... ?t=1380208

One person mentions easily removed pop-ups and another says it got a clean bill of health from his anti-virus program. The thread does wander off-topic from time to time (something to which we are not accustomed on ADC :mrgreen: )
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:59 pm

I've downloaded it and have had a go on it The pop ups are a little annoying but it does work.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:27 am

Apparently if you decline the option to install the 'optional' toolbar you don't get the pop-ups. Did you have this option during the installation?
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 am

Declined the option but still got the pops ups until I realised that my popup blocker was off..I'll see how it works now..anyway once your watching your chosen program it can be switched off..I'll keep an eye on things
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 am

You might find this informative.

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/23478- ... ly-blocked)?highlight=expat+shield

I've done a bit of research on the net today, and in general, most people give Expat Shield positive feedback.

Looks like it could be one of the more simple ways of watching UK TV abroad.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:12 pm

I've just tried downloading it, but Avast blocked it and said it found malware. Should I override this, or has it really found something?
AlisonB

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Was this when you were downloading the installation file or after you clicked on the .exe file to install? It may consider the toolbar option to be malware but you can disable this during installation.
Let's go Brandon!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:16 pm

It downloaded the zip file OK and I declined the toolbar. It seemed to be when it was installing that Avast flagged it up
AlisonB

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:19 pm

This is a program that is free so it finances itself through adverts. You have to decide if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
It clearly works and loads the programs you want to watch pretty quicky.The problem is that it also displays popups when you log on to a new web page and an advert appears at the top of the page.
I suggest you either disable it as an add on in IE and enable it when you want to use it,or in the task bar look for the icon and right click
then click disconnect
then click exit .........and only load the program when needed.
When Installing the program, as already mentioned, don't install the toolbar but allow it through your firewall or antivirus or else it won't work. Some of us on the forum have been reading about it on techy forums and viruses don't come up as a problem but you will have to put up with the ads.

Ashcroft
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ashcroft » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks a million SpanishBlue for suggesting Expatshield :clap:

I very rarely submit anything to this forum but am an avid reader because of contributors valuable tips and suggestions.

I downloaded Expatshield this evening and within minutes was watching The Apprentice on iplayer. With numerous failed attempts of getting a vpn to hide behind I was on the verge of paying for a service to provide me with one, so thanks again. Thanks also to the knowledgable peops who gave me the confidence to download it and get rid of those blasted pop-ups.

Chris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Can anyone confirm, please, if the Firefox pop-up blocker or the Adblock Plus add-on kills the popups and advertisements. I have downloaded the installation file but haven't installed it yet. :oops: By the way my download was a .exe not a zip file.
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 am

Ok I'm now testing it in Firefox with Adblock and it's completely killed the popups
BTW, if you're still using foxyproxy, you'll need to disable it when using Expat Shield.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:38 am

Same as mark - no ads or pop-ups.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 pm

This is a very good program,However there are still some issues that I haven't been able to resolve and some tips I would like to pass on.
In IE I haven't been able to totally kill the popups, although I have been able to stop the new window opening with that annoying advert.
In Firefox using Adblock it seems to be a clean load with no ads.

If you have Windows Media Center on your PC and download this addon 'Tunerfree MCE' from herehttp://www.milliesoft.co.uk/index.p ... &Itemid=11, you'll be able to to control what you are watching with you PC remote. EG navigating to your prefered program,pausing, volume control, downloading, record series all from the comfort of you armchair
Although people who have been using this program for a while don't report viruses, I would still be careful and and only use it while watching The Iplayer ITV player etc and switch it off as soon as you finish and definitely have it switched off when doing financial transactions online or giving personal info online. I'm not saying there is a problem but best be safe than sorry.
Pigs or Enrique might be able to confirm or tell us of other problems that may arise when using this type of programme

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm not too well versed in this sort of thing, so I ran it past a friend who is well connected ('scuse the pun) in matters of computers.

This is a bit late but he's only just finished a long test and this is what he says:

I ran this for two full days on the test box, its full of adware, port redirects and worse is designed to leave ports open which means it leaves backdoors on your PC. Anyone with a basic knowledge of Virtual Private Networking (VPN) could then potentially access the PC where this software is resident. I actually had three sniff attacks while testing it so overall I would not recommend using it.

I will next week, time permitting see if I can close all the weaknesses down (using something like bit defender and Mcafee) as it actually works quite well, (ignoring the cr@p Internet speeds here and the buffering)

Regards

So, if this helps, everyone is welcome to the knowledge. If you disagree, just don't argue with me as I don't know a bit from a byte and it will all go over my head!

ps I like the bit about cr@p internet speeds. He and I both have to use Iberbanda and it gets clogged up all too easily around here - too many users at peak times
nil illegitimum carborundum

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 pm

From the Expat Shield web page ---
Please note that Expat Shield secures your Internet session, not your computer. Expat Shield does not protect your computer from viruses or malware. We recommend getting anti-virus/anti-malware solutions from one of our reputable partners in order to also secure your computer.
Dave

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Somebody mentioned this thread and it's concerns on Expat Shield's FaceBook page.

http://www.facebook.com/expatshield

This was their reply.......

"We have over 8 million users in over 100 countries and have been providing VPN service for over 5 years. Competitors often like to write malicious things about us since we are the biggest player in the personal VPN market."

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Expat shield seems to have finished which is a pity.I'm afraid it's back to foxy proxy for the moment, which incidentally, was working a few minutes ago for me

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 am

I thought they were claiming it is a server problem. This may be an alternative. Not free, though:

http://adtelly.tv/
Let's go Brandon!