Plug and NO play dongle

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
flan_taster
Resident

Plug and NO play dongle

Postby flan_taster » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Having a problem with my nice new Orange USB Dongle as it will not self install on my Netbook running Windows XP SP3 and hoping one of you techies can perhaps help.......
I had previously used a Vodafone dongle and it opened the Vodafone Mobile Connect programme and allowed connection to the internet on PAYG basis.

Am now using an Orange Espana dongle recently bought in Spain and am back in UK. It would not Plug and Play when I tried it and so am now trying to sort it before returning to Spain.

Firstly to be on the safe side, I uninstalled the previous Vodafone connect prog from Control Panel and checked the Modem box to remove any Vodafone modem.
Then when plugging in the Orange dongle the small window pops up to say : HUAWEI Modem then the next box pops up to say its a Vodafone Modem.

Meanwhile the Orange dongle is flashing away but not opening any Orange prog. Not self installing. The instructions say that if it does not open automatically then select the drive letter that the dongle is in and use X:\autoruncarddetector.exe but when I open My Computer it shows the Dongle in DEVICES with REMOVABLE STORAGE Drive E so when I try to run --- E:\autoruncarddetector.exe the next pop up box says PLEASE INSERT A DISK INTO DRIVE E ! Of course I don't have any disk ....it's all on the dongle !

In the Phone and Modem Options under Modems I keep getting Vodafone Mobile Broadband Huawei) and it says the device is working properly.

This happens each time I attempt a fresh Plug and Play.

The Vodafone USB was a HUAWEI K3765 and the ORANGE is a HUAWEI E1752C one.

Any ideas? Would it be possible to download the Orange prog from Orange Espana and would that try to connect ? Or do I need to delete things from secret places on my hard drive ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Plug and NO play dongle

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi flan_taster,
Sounds like it's a bit confused ......... :(

To keep it simple..............

Restore back to when the Vodafone dongle was ok................ie prior to you uninstalling it.

Next download ...........Revouninstaller......get the free version.............and install

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

Run Revouninstaller and select the 4th option(Advanced) and follow it thru, if it wants to Restart half way thru DON'T,
let it complete it will take out all the Vodafone registry entries............then reboot system and try your new Orange Dongle .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 am

Many thanks for your help !
Have done all that and tried but failed. It would not self install.
I have tried the dongle in my PC in UK and it opened the USB device but did not self install, just showed the Orange files :
and on clicking Setup the basic application ran loading the Orange stuff then the Huawei drivers.

So it appears that the dongle works but not on the machine I need it to work !! !

Help !

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:11 am

oh for the good old days when there was no internet, nor computers to get so frustrated with when they don´t work!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

I too am an orange 3g dongle user.

I am as unimpressed with the service as I was with Telefonica. Main issues being the number of dropouts, traffic shaping (when schools empty) and the wretched thing opening Orange home page everytime you make or remake a connection. My browsers are set for google to open as home page. Of course being Spain there is no one to write to only ring call centre bods who say Right When Tested,

back to your issue. It isn't something as simple as you used it on one PC or device and now you are trying to use it on a second (in its eyes). There is something clever enough within their system to prevent you doing this as I innocently found out. Really irritating as you are paying for the dongle and what you put it in where shouldn't matter but it does.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Its got me stumped. All I need is the initial programme software to load so that the Huawei E1752C Orange Espana drivers load and then hopefully it will ask for my PIN etc.
Meanwhile I signed a contract for this thing just before returning from Spain so that it would be active next visit. This could be a major mistake as I cannot see the Orange Spain people being of any help. Now the dongle has opened in 2 different PCs and not my own Netbook.
Will have to take it to a technical guy in UK to get a review.
It keeps wanting to open a Vodafone Huawei dongle - maybe Vodafone have some code to screw things up for Orange?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi flan_taster,
If you look in..............

Start ->Control Panel->System-> Hardware-> Device Manager

Do you see the old HUAWEI K3765(Vodafone) hardware :?:

You can search the Registry using regedit..........for any thing vodafone or Huawei K3765

If you find anything make a backup of the Registry before you delete :thumbup:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi flan_taster,
I take you have looked on the Orange site.............

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadba ... 752+dongle

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Very grateful Enrique. Did all you advised but seems like my registry is littered with Vodafone stuff and so will need to leave it to a local techie to get this sorted. Just seems beyond me to delete all the items and when I try some say I cannot. Many thanks for trying.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 pm

If you have uninstalled the Vodafone program then you can remove the Vodafone stuff left over in the registry with CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks Gerry. I use CCleaner and already tried to use the full delete thing. Maybe this is what has made things worse. I don't know - I have no idea. Anyway my puter techie in UK told me that Windows was corrupted (I basically have lost an important file or two) so it is best to start again and restore from new.
I suppose if I knew how to reinstall Windows from the "Data drive" without getting a techie I would have solved it.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I think I'm having the same issue. It's fine on 2 laptops but the 3rd (which is the one it's for) won't install. This has had a 3 dongle and a vodafone one in the past. The former seems to be giving the trouble , on install the orange device reinstalls drivers for a Motorola SM56 data modem for some reason even when that device has been uninstalled/deleted/removed. From what you are saying , do I need to remove all traces of that device from the hard drive? The error message I note mentions MFC42u.dll and after some googling I wonder if this file has anything to do with it?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Are the WINDOWS programmes different on each PC as a matter of interest. I had problems with Windows XP.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi pmb,
Just seen your post ........ :oops: well I was on the high seas :sick:

Can you post the full error message if you're still having a problem. :?:

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

The problem is when you use an Orange dongle on a machine that has previously had a Vodafone one (and maybe a 3 one as well) You need to remove all traces of that hardware and software for the Orange one to work. It's not as simple as just removing the program. There is a thread on forums.vodafone when an Orange employee asks this question. It talks about removing stuff using regedit , on three machines that never had another dongle there is no issue. Annoyingly , the dongle was bought by SHMBO for the laptop that it can't (atm) be installed on. Thanks for the responses....

edit: btw Flan_taster there is some later software on the Orange site that I think is worth installing.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi pmb,
If your old dongle software shows up in Add/Remove programs.............

Download Revo Uninstaller....................
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstall ... 87648.html

Install and run............select option 4 and let it run through, if it asks to restart halfway through DON'T, let it complete.

It takes stuff out of the Registry...saves you using regedit....... 8)

Reboot system on completion and run CCleaner..........link in Gerry's post

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:46 pm

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Mobile-B ... d-p/420649 is the link to these issues. Can't find Motorola nor SM56 when doing a search but it is Vista and I'm not too au fait with it. There don't appear to be any Vodafone entries in the registry. Doesn't matter what I do , the laptop over writes the Orange driver with the old one. Suppose I could look at the driver file in use and delete that. It seems to stop a new dialup connection for Orange being created , manually creating one using info from installs on other machines allows connection to the internet but not through the Orange software.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi pmb,
Did you try the solution from the link you posted . :?:

In Vista open Windows Explorer..........be in the top level ie C: and search for those .inf files.

Then follow through the instructions as per XP.