INSERTING NEW WHITE SKY CARD INTO DIFFERENT BOX

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
andygwen04
Andalucia.com Amigo

INSERTING NEW WHITE SKY CARD INTO DIFFERENT BOX

Postby andygwen04 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:50 pm

I have a twin LNB feeding two separate boxes, one downstairs (Amstrad paired with the new white card) and a newer Sky box upstairs using the old blue card.
The Amstrad box allowed me to watch Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3 pus all the normal "free" channels and the Sky box with the old blue card allowed me to watch the "free" channels only.
Unfortunately the Amstrad box with the white card is no longer working.
Question is can I put the white viewing card into the Sky box (even though it has previously been paired up with an Amstrad box), without having to call Sky using my mobile so they don't know I'm in Spain?

Second question is can I buy a Freesat box in the UK and simply connect it to my dish here in Spain?

Thanks
Andy

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: INSERTING NEW WHITE SKY CARD INTO DIFFERENT BOX

Postby gerryh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

andygwen04 wrote: Question is can I put the white viewing card into the Sky box (even though it has previously been paired up with an Amstrad box), without having to call Sky using my mobile so they don't know I'm in Spain?

Second question is can I buy a Freesat box in the UK and simply connect it to my dish here in Spain?

Thanks
Andy
The white cards do not get paired to the box. So you can use it in any box.
A Freesat box can be used anywhere with a satellite dish.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

andygwen04
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andygwen04 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Gerry, I presume I had to phone Sky just to activate the card.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:51 pm

As Gerry said, a card which is already working in one box can be used in another except for premium channels. Also, it wasn't the blue card that was enabling you to watch the free channels. These are free to air and can be received with no card at all.
Let's go Brandon!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Well our white card had to be paired up with the box. We had it delivered to our daughter in the UK & when she came out we had to ring sky , on the daughters mobile, & set it up using the info from the TV screen in conjunction with them .
Todos somos Lorca.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 am

Was this just for one of the multichannel packages or did it include premium sports and movie channels? I have a multichannel package and my card will work in any Sky box but I understand that this is not the case with movies and sports packages.
Let's go Brandon!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 am

Beachcomber wrote:Was this just for one of the multichannel packages or did it include premium sports and movie channels? I have a multichannel package and my card will work in any Sky box but I understand that this is not the case with movies and sports packages.
My card is just for free to air channels , purchased through sky.
Todos somos Lorca.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Free to air channels (ie all BBC and ITV channels and many more) do not require a card at all. Which channels can you receive with the card that you are unable to if you take it out?
Let's go Brandon!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Free to air channels (ie all BBC and ITV channels and many more) do not require a card at all. Which channels can you receive with the card that you are unable to if you take it out?
Channel Five, fiver, fiver+1 & a couple of others I can't remember. You can't get them through the sky box without a card.
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:00 pm

gus-lopez wrote: Channel Five, fiver, fiver+1 & a couple of others I can't remember. You can't get them through the sky box without a card.
These are the FTV ( free to view) channels which need a white card which replaced the blue card. Both purchased from SKY for 20GBP.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 am

Remember you don't need to buy a card if it's just Channel Five that you want, as it can be added as an additional channel.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 am

gus-lopez wrote:Well our white card had to be paired up with the box. We had it delivered to our daughter in the UK & when she came out we had to ring sky , on the daughters mobile, & set it up using the info from the TV screen in conjunction with them .
You have to phone Sky to get the card activated but it is not paired up with any particular box.
They want the details of the box it is, allegedly, being used in but it can be used in any box once it is activated.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 pm

SpanishBlue wrote:Remember you don't need to buy a card if it's just Channel Five that you want, as it can be added as an additional channel.
can you give me the details for me to add this channel please, as i assumed i could only get Channel Five if i bought a 20 quid card.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Details of how to do it here:

http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/addchannels.html

frequency details for Five are:

Frequency 10.773, Polarity Horizontal. Symbol rate 22.000, Forward Error Correction 5/6
Let's go Brandon!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Details of how to do it here:

http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/addchannels.html

frequency details for Five are:

Frequency 10.773, Polarity Horizontal. Symbol rate 22.000, Forward Error Correction 5/6
this doesnt work for me. it gives me the option to choose it so i press yellow and then select, to confirm, but i still dont get the channel. it says needs relevant sky card.

would this be because the blue sky card i entered into the box is now obsolete? its just that above it says you dont need to buy a card to get channel five so now i am a bit confused....

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:34 pm

On the odd occasion that I want to watch Five I do so on Freesat but I have just tried it on my Sky box and it works even if I take out the card as it is meant to. Try taking out the old card. It doesn't serve any purpose now.
Let's go Brandon!

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:37 am

karandjon wrote:
this doesnt work for me. it gives me the option to choose it so i press yellow and then select, to confirm, but i still dont get the channel. it says needs relevant sky card.
[/quote]

It sounds to me like you have probably added the channel correctly, but you are trying to access it by pressing 105 (which will give an error message).

You need to do the following to access Channel 5 once it has been added.....

Press "SERVICES"

Then press "7 - OTHER CHANNELS" (or possibly "6 - OTHER CHANNELS" if you have the old version).

Then highlight Channel 5 and press "SELECT"

You should now be watching Channel 5. :thumbup:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Beachcomber wrote:On the odd occasion that I want to watch Five I do so on Freesat but I have just tried it on my Sky box and it works even if I take out the card as it is meant to. Try taking out the old card. It doesn't serve any purpose now.
just tried mine On C5 + fiver , & as soon as you take the card out it goes to 'insert sky viewing card :
Todos somos Lorca.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't think it works with Fiver but, as Spanish Blue said, you have to access Five through 'Other Channels' once you have added it.
Let's go Brandon!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:49 pm

i never usually use the card these days, but as gus-lopez says, you need the old card in to add then channel...but as soon as you remove it and try accessing 'channel five' via 'o'ther channels', it is saying 'insert viewing card!' which is no good as if you leave the card in you keep getting the message in the midle of the screen saying 'replace this viewing card'