Live Mail

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Live Mail

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:26 am

When sending emails I use Windows Live Mail. When it opens up it says it is Windows Live Mail 2011.

Normal emails send OK, even if I attach a piccture.

However, if It start by going to Windows Explorer, selecting a picture, right clicking and selecting Send To - Mail Recipient the problem starts.

First it automatically creates an album although I want to send them just as files. Then, when I click Send, the message just disappears. It doesn't send and is nowhere to be found.

I have only just noticed this happening. I thought of trying a syatem restore but I am only offered dates back to a critical update on 30/12/2010.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how can I stop it creating albums when I just want to send pics as individual files?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Live Mail

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:50 am

Try doing it the other way round.

Create a new email in Live Mail and click on the paper clip to insert a file.

Select the file(s) you want. You then get the option to use an album or to send in the normal way as an attachment.

Sid

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:58 am

Have a look here, seems its a MS change.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mai ... 011-a.html

Do a search you will find more information.

You are not alone.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks guys. I had done a search but didn't find anything. Must have had a couple too many cervezas as NOW I find answers i.e. it is a feature of Live Mail 2011.

The workaround in Coneheads link seems to work i.e. include a text file in the selection and it stops the album being created. The .text file can subsequently deleted.

A bit of a pain but it works.

Cheers, and Happy New Year

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:18 am

Another option is to use Picasa and email direct from there. It also has the advantage that it automatically resizes the pictures.

If you don't already use Picasa it really is very good and worth a try.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I dislike the new WLM too when it comes to sending photos. It was so simple before.
However, I don't really follow the suggestion to create a dummy .txt file. It seems simple enough to right click the photo(s) you want to send, select "send to >> mail recipient", choose the size you want from the options that pop up and click "attach", then in the body of the new e-mail message that opens, click on the photo album, select "format" from the menu at the top of the window, then select the paperclip. Done.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:37 am

That doesn't seem to work for me. When I click on the body of the text where the pics are and click on paperclip, I just get the screen wanting me to sign on to Livemail, not something I want to do. If I right click I just get offered cut or copy.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Not sure how you can use Livemail without signing in. Why don't you want to do so?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I just want to use it the same way I used Outlook for many years. I sent a mail to someone and they got it. Why make it complicated? I can send regular emails, and ones with pictures attached via the mail programme without signing in, yet have to sign in if they are attached via the send to function in Windows Explorer. It doesn't make sense. There being a difference makes me wary. I don't know why, it just does.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 pm

I suppose it isn't too much hassle, but one extra thing I didn't have to do in the past, so I'll do it.

Still annoying that when sending multiple pictures via Windows Explorer it automatically sets up an album and there appears to be no way to stop that without having to intervene each time. To me that is a downside to Live Mail. It does do some good things though.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I agree - it's irritating when they change things just for the sake of it, but that I suppose is "progress". I also preferred the previous version, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Keeps the techies in jobs, and just sometimes they come up with really good new ideas.
I just experimented by signing out and now understand what you're saying. I've obviously been signed in since installing the new version, because I didn't even realise you could sign out, so trust me, nothing bad will happen by signing in!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 am

As you say, Miro, that's progress.

I suppose, like a lot of things, I will get used to it. If it had always been the case of having to sign in and they changed it not having to do so, I would find that strange.