Win 7 annoyance, must be me doing something wrong.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Win 7 annoyance, must be me doing something wrong.

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 am

The new Win 7 set up is doing the main task it was bought for with no problem or hassles, well impressed really but I have a problem which makes me revert to my XP machine for mundane tasks and web browsing.

In a nutshell, You have say A.com open or another window, you then need to look at another site.

So, I'll click on the line that sends the running programme down to the toolbar at bottom of screen as I've done with all other Win systems..................problem is here the programme never shows up on toolbar...it vanishes.

Programme will still be running but there is no way to bring it back up as it's not showing anywhere :? , I find myself having to restart it from scratch.

I know it will be me and that I've not enabled something or other but it has me baffled at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thank you.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

elmolino

Re: Win 7 annoyance, must be me doing something wrong.

Postby elmolino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am

Devils Advocate wrote:The new Win 7 set up is doing the main task it was bought for with no problem or hassles, well impressed really but I have a problem which makes me revert to my XP machine for mundane tasks and web browsing.

In a nutshell, You have say A.com open or another window, you then need to look at another site.

So, I'll click on the line that sends the running programme down to the toolbar at bottom of screen as I've done with all other Win systems..................problem is here the programme never shows up on toolbar...it vanishes.

Programme will still be running but there is no way to bring it back up as it's not showing anywhere :? , I find myself having to restart it from scratch.

I know it will be me and that I've not enabled something or other but it has me baffled at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thank you.

You can jump to any program running in the background by holding down the ALT key and at the same time press the JUMP key.

You can change also your Taskbar settings to show icons.

1) Click on Controll panel.
2) Click on Taskbar.
3) Cusomize.
4) Always show Icons on Taskbar.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: So, I'll click on the line that sends the running programme down to the toolbar at bottom of screen as I've done with all other Win systems..................problem is here the programme never shows up on toolbar...it vanishes.

Thank you.
Can you see the "toolbar" ?
If you are referring to the bar that shows at the bottom of the screen it's called the taskbar in Win7.
If you can't see can you see it if you move mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen?

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes I meant Taskbar you are correct. I've done what previous poster suggested and thanks, although I could not find anything that said "show icons" I made some changes.

What it seems to do now is amalgamate the icons.ie one on top of the other :think: ......I don't suppose there is a facilty on Win7 to set it up like xp is there (desktop-wise).......had a trawl around and set it to "classic" but it's still not the way I'd like.

Thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
What it seems to do now is amalgamate the icons.ie one on top of the other :

Thanks
Control panel/Taskbar and start menu/Taskbar/ taskbar buttons change the "always combine, hide labels" to what you want.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Cheers Gerry, will try that later on this afternoon, just been summonsed to run an errand.

Thank you for that.

elmolino

Postby elmolino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:The new Win 7 set up is doing the main task it was bought for with no problem or hassles, well impressed really but I have a problem which makes me revert to my XP machine for mundane tasks and web browsing.
Not 100% sure what you want but you can config W7 exact the same as XP, maybe a quick visit to a computershop nearby will help. Below our WIN7 (test) computer using the task (quick) bar on the bottom of a screen. If you call us we can guide you thrue the settings, it is very easy.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:56 pm

elmolino wrote:[
Determined to plug your website by any means possible aren't you. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm

got to make a living Gerry... :lol:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm

You know its a pity that we dont have a SMITE option ... like some web sites - he'd be gone by now !

...and good riddance !

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Martin Page wrote:You know its a pity that we dont have a SMITE option ... like some web sites - he'd be gone by now !

...and good riddance !
It's more of a pity that unlike 99.99% of websites our admin doesn't lift a finger..

:crazy: