Apologies fellas.WIN7 again.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Apologies fellas.WIN7 again.

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Just arrived back home and going through the advice I received earlier for the new desktop.....thanks for that :thumbup:

Anyhow, I looked at the operating system specs and notice it says Windows 7 32bit..........I'd asked for 64bit.

So I called the chaps where I got it from, (they actually built the components I specced up for very little money and it made life easier for warantee etc.), anyhow I asks why I'm running 32bit and not what I'd asked for and he said "well you only went for 4meg of RAM so 32 is perfect"...............he went on to say I'd paid for them both anyway so if I want to swap just go and pick up the disc or take box into them to upgrade FOC.

I explained it was a logistic nightmare now to detatch PC from its position and also getting to the shop. He then sucked in air and said that it's a tricky job to do at home.

Any BS here guys? Is it awkward to upgrade, is the 4 meg of RAM relevant, do I really need it (64bit) and what benefits would I gain please.

It's annoying as it's what I specced and I now need to prat about sorting it.

As I said earlier PC is running like a dream.....very quick.

Again thanks, someone will have a sensible answer to this.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

elmolino

Re: Apologies fellas.WIN7 again.

Postby elmolino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Just arrived back home and going through the advice I received earlier for the new desktop.....thanks for that :thumbup:

Anyhow, I looked at the operating system specs and notice it says Windows 7 32bit..........I'd asked for 64bit.

So I called the chaps where I got it from, (they actually built the components I specced up for very little money and it made life easier for warantee etc.), anyhow I asks why I'm running 32bit and not what I'd asked for and he said "well you only went for 4meg of RAM so 32 is perfect"...............he went on to say I'd paid for them both anyway so if I want to swap just go and pick up the disc or take box into them to upgrade FOC.

I explained it was a logistic nightmare now to detatch PC from its position and also getting to the shop. He then sucked in air and said that it's a tricky job to do at home.

Any BS here guys? Is it awkward to upgrade, is the 4 meg of RAM relevant, do I really need it (64bit) and what benefits would I gain please.

It's annoying as it's what I specced and I now need to prat about sorting it.

As I said earlier PC is running like a dream.....very quick.

Again thanks, someone will have a sensible answer to this.
I understand the answer from the shop, upgrading is a time consuming (and very boring) job and it can be done in a shop during opening hours without leaving the shop. So a win-win situation.

But in general, if computers works ............... dont change anything :) and I dont think you need a 64bit operating system for normal home use. A 4Meg RAM or more is very important for WIN7.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm

elmolino wrote: and I dont think you need a 64bit operating system for normal home use. A 4Meg RAM or more is very important for WIN7.
If you want more than 4gb you must have 64bit OS.

In fact W7 32 bit will only use 3.5gb of your 4gb.

If the program you are using for your racing is designed for 64bit that would make a difference - otherwise I would leave well alone.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Sid, you've got it in one. At present 32bit is all that is required, in fact 64bit throws up gremlins which need patches to solve I've just gleaned from a friend. Problem is a new version comes out later in the year which will demand 64bit I believe, hence my concern. The programme as it is runs full screen at very good/max fpm at present so just may well leave this for now. New programme will need another bit of ram but graphics card will be fine. Think I'll kill 2 birds with one stone when the time arrives.

PS Sid, would you believe I was watching a "live" race from Crystal Palace last night, featuring your old mates in the Coopers tussling with the MK1 Cortinas....awsome stuff :thumbup:

Was just wondering really if the guys were trying to waffle in the shop.

Many thanks.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:01 pm

When I put W7 on my laptop I installed the 32bit version as i didn't realise I could install the 64bit. When I looked at system details it says 4gb ram (3gb usable).
One day when I have the time I will install the 64bit I think. What gremlins does it cause??

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Murbisa, just to put your mind at rest the Gremlins I refer to are on a particular programme I am running on the machine. As far as I know it will not be an issue for you.apologies for any confusion :thumbup:

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Windows 32bit can only address 4GB of memory. That includes your RAM, VRAM (Memory on your graphics card), the cache on your harddrive(s) and so on.

If you asked them to install 64bit and they've essentially ignored your request then I'd be asking (make that demanding) them to put it right.

It's absolutely pointless these days using a 32bit operating system due to it's memory limits unless you're one of these weird people that insists on using the scanner you purchased in 1992 and can't find 64bit drivers for it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Griff, what about all the stuff I've loaded on to the machine now...a fortnight of grief and hassles it caused, would I be able to do the conversion and keep all that intact do you reckon......with a bit of help :think:

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks DA. I already have the 64 bit on my laptop in the UK and OH has it on his new one here and we have never had any problems. That's why I asked.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Griff, what about all the stuff I've loaded on to the machine now...a fortnight of grief and hassles it caused, would I be able to do the conversion and keep all that intact do you reckon......with a bit of help :think:
Unfortunately it's not like upgrading from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 32bit where you can get away with keeping all your programs in place. This requires a complete format and reinstall from scratch as you're swapping a 32bit operating system for a 64bit OS.

If 32bit isn't causing you any obvious problems and you have absolutely no intention of upgrading the system in the near future then leave it as it is. However if there's even the slighest chance you may want to add some more RAM or maybe you might one day upgrade the graphics card for one with more memory on it then I'd bite the bullet and get 64bit on now even if it does cause a few headaches.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Cheers Griff for that.I fall somewhere in the middle. Graphics card and the 4 gb of Ram are more than adaquate at present and machine flies. Problem arises when the programme is revamped later this year and I belive that 6-8gb Ram may be neccessary, although maybe not, nobody knows for sure.

So, PC could not be better at present but may fall short in a years time...............I guess that's what every pc i've ever owned has done though, thus is progress.

Think I'll hang fire for now but pick my 64bit disc up for the future.

Thanks for the advice

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 pm

In a year's time you'll be upgrading to Windows 8, so I wouldn't worry :wink:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.