Printers and ink

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tjtops
Resident

Printers and ink

Postby tjtops » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 pm

What is the general feeling about the running costs of different printers...eg Canon, Epson, Lexmark, HP etc etc.?
I think I'm going to treat myself to a new all in one printer when I get back to UK, but I do know that some makes are notoriously expensive on ink cartridges...just a shame I can't remember which they are! :oops:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Printers and ink

Postby gerryh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Kodak claim, and some independent reviews seem to agree, that their printers are the cheapest to run.
Of course this applies to the manufactures own ink cartridges.
Using third party refills/ re manufactured can reduce the cost of ink cartridges.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:54 pm

If you want cheap compatible cartridges Epson are the easiest to obtain followed by Canon.

Don't go near HP or Lexmark.

Printer manufacturers make no profit on the printer - only on the ink.

With my last Epson printer I could buy cartridges from Epson for £66 or compatibles for less than £5

Sid

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Even with some of the large colour toner cartridges it is possible to buy refill kits. There are plenty available on line. The manufacturers are trying to eliminate this by putting chips on the cartridges but you can now get replacement chips!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm

probe wrote:Even with some of the large colour toner cartridges it is possible to buy refill kits. There are plenty available on line. The manufacturers are trying to eliminate this by putting chips on the cartridges but you can now get replacement chips!
Four or five years ago I couldn't use cheap compatib;e cartridges in my daughters Epsom printer. All that would happen was a message coming up saying it wasn't a genuine Epsom cartridge.

I was under the impression that the practice of "chipping" printers to stop the use of compatible cartridges had now been outlawed, but from what probe says it seems I may be wrong.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I always buy compatable ink for my Epson, usually from eBay.
I have bought from various firms and, touch wood, they have all been fine.

All the ones I've bought have the chips in anyway now.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Campo Steve wrote:I was under the impression that the practice of "chipping" printers to stop the use of compatible cartridges had now been outlawed, but from what probe says it seems I may be wrong.
Ahhhh - not sure. It seemed very easy to buy the chips and I just assumed all legal!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Campo Steve wrote: I was under the impression that the practice of "chipping" printers to stop the use of compatible cartridges had now been outlawed, but from what probe says it seems I may be wrong.
Lexmark tried to take a major ink supplier to court for patent infringement and initially won the case but it went to appeal and was thrown out.

Lexmark make nearly 80% of their profit from the sale of ink.

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

OK...thanks guys....(I'm STILL not getting topic notifications for some reason....grrrr....!!!)
I always use compatibles for my current Canon, but initially had a lot of trouble finding some that could cope with the extremes of temperature here...there was a good one available locally but the firm went bust!!! In the end, the best I've found are Tesco!!! (But not THAT cheap....)
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:37 pm

tjtops wrote:I always use compatibles for my current Canon, but initially had a lot of trouble finding some that could cope with the extremes of temperature here
Try http://www.inkredible.co.uk

I have a 5 cartridge Canon Pixma 4700. I buy 4 sets for £25 with free postage to Spain. No heat problems so far!

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 am

Epson Compatible Cartridges Currently Unavailable

Due to circumstances beyond our control we have made the difficult decision to temporarily cease trading in Epson compatible cartridges.
We are working on a swift resolution to this issue, however until further notice Epson Compatible cartridges will not be available from INKredible.co.uk or DGAP Ltd.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

They must have a problem!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 pm

El Cid wrote:
tjtops wrote:I always use compatibles for my current Canon, but initially had a lot of trouble finding some that could cope with the extremes of temperature here
Try http://www.inkredible.co.uk

I have a 5 cartridge Canon Pixma 4700. I buy 4 sets for £25 with free postage to Spain. No heat problems so far!

Sid
hi ya Sid, i have just looked in Wortens FUENGIROLA and saw a nice littler scanner/printer ,cannon mp250 €49 but as normal only had a black ink in stock, for €18 odd?? if they had had the colour in stock it would be €23 odd i just looked on this site you have posted and the prices are almost the same?? am i looking at it wrong?? and has anyone got this little printer?? i we do have a brother mfc 790cw which is wireless, but some how i have lost how to correct it to Fays computer in her room,i just can't work out how to send it?? so thought i would buy her a small one for her self, and save the nagging i'm getting, lol

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 pm

ken2 wrote:
hi ya Sid, i have just looked in Wortens FUENGIROLA and saw a nice littler scanner/printer ,cannon mp250 €49 but as normal only had a black ink in stock, for €18 odd?? if they had had the colour in stock it would be €23 odd i just looked on this site you have posted and the prices are almost the same?? am i looking at it wrong??

No, your looking at it right. Those cartridges are Canon ones. At the moment they don't seem to have the cheap compatibles for that printer. This sometimes happens with new models.

Have a look at the Epson range of all-in-one printers. The SX218 is a good choice - £46 from Amazon. Inkredible do cheap cartridges for £32 for 4 sets of 4.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Epson Compatible Cartridges Currently Unavailable

Due to circumstances beyond our control we have made the difficult decision to temporarily cease trading in Epson compatible cartridges.
We are working on a swift resolution to this issue, however until further notice Epson Compatible cartridges will not be available from INKredible.co.uk or DGAP Ltd.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

They must have a problem!morlandg
Resident

Private message

Cheers Sid, but if this still stands then the epson is not on,??? but will look at the model

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:49 pm

ken2 wrote:
Cheers Sid, but if this still stands then the epson is not on,??? but will look at the model
No it has changed back to normal. The prices I gave you were from their site this morning.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Oh cheers Sid, I'll go to look at Wortens see if they have the Epsom model,i don't think amazon deliver to Spain, do they,?? anyway i would prefer to collect it my self, been reading some time the printers are being sold without the blooming leads, (what a b-----------y liberty)

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:11 pm

ken2 wrote:Oh cheers Sid, I'll go to look at Wortens see if they have the Epsom model,i don't think amazon deliver to Spain, do they,?? anyway i would prefer to collect it my self, been reading some time the printers are being sold without the blooming leads, (what a b-----------y liberty)

That seems quite usual now. When I changed printers the old lead worked fine.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Ken2 - Amazon not only deliver to Spain, but for items over £25 it is free. I bought an Epsom wi-fi printer from them and it came via MRW - 'sort-of' as they had staff problems (they were Spanish - enough said :roll: ) so I picked it up from their local depot. Even with the hiccup it only took 5 days.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I bought some Epson compatible inks,the Epson level check says that they are genuine!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 pm

ken2 wrote: been reading some time the printers are being sold without the blooming leads, (what a b-----------y liberty)
All printers now use cheap standard USB leads. They should come with one but they are only a few Euros to buy.

I think you are thinking of the older printers with big plugs on and thick cables - they never included them.

Sid