HDMI Connection

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

HDMI Connection

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, my HDMI splitter has arrived and I am about to connect it. It will only be used for the Freesat box and and an LD DVD player/recorder.

Question: do I need to keep the Scart connection between the DVD and the TV (as well as HDMI) in order to play non HD DVDs?

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: HDMI Connection

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm

No, use HDMI.

You can't play HD through a Scart but it will happily play SD through HDMI.

Sid

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks (again) Sid.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:33 pm

The quality of The DVDs should be better through the HDMI cable too because it'll upscale them

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:42 pm

markwilding wrote:The quality of The DVDs should be better through the HDMI cable too because it'll upscale them
In theory that's right but the HDTV also upscales the picture from the Scart input.

Which is better depends on the TV and the DVD. Some TVs will upscale better than the DVD player - sometimes it's the other way round.

Upscaling DVD players are usually marketed to convince you that you will get HD quality from an SD DVD.

It's a con! All HD TVs upscale the SD picture otherwise you would get the picture in a very small box on the screen!

Sid