sky plus box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

sky plus box

Postby kelly » Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi All

My sister kindly gave me a sky + box which I have set up all tv channels work fine I also added channel 5 in others, as for radio channels radio 1 and 2 are fine BUT I cannot get radio 3 or radio 4 radio 5 or BBC radio 6, Is it an alignment problem or can I set these radio channels up manually in the other channel mode like we all have to for channel 5.
Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: sky plus box

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm

What screen message do you get on the radio stations you cannot receive?

All of these radio channels are on the same transponder/frequency so if you are getting radios 1 and 2 you should be getting the others.

If the box has been unused for a while and you have only just set it up it may be lacking a software update. Just leave it for a while (plugged in and either switched on or on stand-by) and it should update itself.

If you want to try adding them as other channels the details are:
Frequency: 11954
Polarity: Horizontal
Symbol Rate: 27500
Forward Error Correction 2/3
Let's go Brandon!

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Fri May 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Beachcomber many thanks for taking the time to reply,

The radio channels seem to download showing the time and programme that is on ( currently radio 4 is showing the six o clock news on display) but I cannot hear anything, I tried to download them manually but the same thing - no sound- very odd considering I have no problem with Radio 1 and 2..

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 20, 2011 6:22 pm

It may be that the audio PIDs have changed. For how long has the box been plugged it?
Let's go Brandon!

Sat Guy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sat Guy » Fri May 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Kelly

We had this problem previously and a full system re-set cured the problem, But can not promise that it will cure your problem,

You need to access the Installer set up menu by pressing the services button-401-select, then select number 8-full system re-set, Follow instructions on screen.

You will lose all recordings when you do this so please try what beachcomber has suggested first!

Sky plus boxes do suffer from the odd problem now and again, Software download is the first to attempt then a full re-set,

Please re-post your findings.

Kindest regards, Carl.

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

In answer to how long box has been plugged in.. since I brought it to Spain early this month. Is there a way I can change the PIDs or is this from Sky centre or where BBC transmit from.
I will try the system restore after I catch up on shadow line which I have recorded and I shall report back
assistance is much appreciated.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 pm

The PIDs are updated automatically on a Sky box. Three weeks should have been long enough for the box to detect any software or channel upgrades. It looks as though you are going to have to do the system reset as suggested by Sat Guy.

I assume you have done the simple rebooting procedure, ie switching off at the mains, waiting a while then plugging back in.

By the way, are you lacking sound on any other channels.
Let's go Brandon!

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Sat May 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi
The channels with no sound are only radio 3,4,5,6 and radio Scotland, All free to air TV channels are fine including channel 5.
I tried the system reset pressing services 4-0-1 select 8 then what happens is it says " houskeeping" and just switches off. I then switch box on but still no sound on those channels, or should I wait for the box to automatically switch on again ?

However now on radio 5 there is some sporadic broken commentry of the current programme every minute or so which leads me to think that my LNB may need moving ever so slightly. Could my dish,lnb be the problem ? On my Lidl silvercrest box I had no issues..

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't think the problem is with the dish or LNB. If it was the picture would be pixellating.
Let's go Brandon!

Sat Guy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sat Guy » Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Kelly

The factory reset completed as normal! it does just turn off, It then reformats the Hard Drive. it cures many different symptoms.

Its a hard one to work out, I would guess that its a box fault, But without looking at it its just a professional guess! even though your other box works fine does not mean the dish/Lnb are ok, As every box has a different tuner sensitivity. But again if normal TV reception is fine then the box is suspect.

BBC radio 1 and also BBC news are on the same transponder, if they work then replace the box, If these channels are important to you.

Kindest regards,

Carl.

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Sun May 22, 2011 11:15 am

Many thanks for the replies

What I did notice is if I leave radio 4 on after a short while I do get some transmission for a few seconds its choppy. As you said maybe this box is extra sensative to radios 4,5,and 6. I do like the recording features of the box so may try and see if occasional rebooting or changing LNB works.
I do connect to the TV not via one straight scart but via 2 scart boxes, as TV is wall mounted. But as I said before I have no problem with TV channels or radio 1 and 2.

Thanks Again

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi

Since doing the system reset 401 to correct my lack of sound on a few BBC radio channels I have now noticed that I have lost ability to record
I am seeing an error message CP-115 and a message saying sky+ playback and recording
are unavailable call 08705 800 800 for assistance, I know being outside of UK thats something
that cant be done.

Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I think you can only record on a Sky Plus box if you have a Sky package or pay a monthly contribution for the privilege. I don't have Sky Plus as I don't wish to contribute any more to Murdoch's coffers than I have to but maybe someone can confirm.
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Beachcomber wrote:I think you can only record on a Sky Plus box if you have a Sky package or pay a monthly contribution for the privilege.
That is also my understanding.
That is why I have a Humax HDR. :P :P
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Tue May 24, 2011 9:24 pm

When I first plugged the box in it recorded paused live TV with no problem,possibly as the software on it was from my sisters house in UK. Only after I performed the 401 reboot to try and correct my audio issue did it stop recording. So it seems if one has a sky plus box from the UK dont do a 401 reset as it will loose the recording facility.Maybe Sky can detect the box has been moved as in my sisters house she had the full sky package and now the box is only being used by a skinflint (me)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I think it would lose the recording facility eventually anyway.
Let's go Brandon!

Sat Guy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sat Guy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi

The recording facility is due to the card. NOT the receiver, By doing the re-set hasn't caused this, But i have come across some cards that have had the subscription turned off were able to record for a while, So a coincidence.

Sorry it never fixed your problem.

kindest regards.

Carl.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Kelly, I think you need to invest in a Freesat receiver with a hard drive.
Let's go Brandon!