Movistar laptop connection

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Movistar laptop connection

Postby axarquian » Wed May 25, 2011 7:07 am

Hello all,

I have been using a Movistar (Huwaii) dongle for the past 2 years or so to connect to the internet on my laptop (Windows XP). I recently backed up my personal files (drive D) and deleted them from my laptop, from this time I am unable to access the internet (although I appear to connect O.K.), no error message is displayed, the wi-fi connection is highlighted indicating that it is available however the GPRS/3G connection remains feint (i.e. unavailable). I have unistalled Movistar and re-installed without success, everthing installs O.K. An Huwaii entry appears under modem and ports, When I login I see a successful connection to Movistar but then cannot proceed because the GPRS/3G menu option is feint . I think that I must have deleted something when deleting my personal files, can anyone help ?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Movistar laptop connection

Postby Enrique » Wed May 25, 2011 8:40 am

Hi axarquian,
Try turning your Firewall off,or if you have a Security Suit turn that off and then fire up the connection software. If this then works you have something to work on.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Sat Guy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sat Guy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Axarquian.

You may have inadvertently deleted a system file, But that is not normally in the D Drive! If what Enrique does not appear to solve the issue try a system restore!

If your not sure how try the link here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Kindest regards.

Carl.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 26, 2011 6:25 pm

axarquian wrote:Hello all,

I have been using a Movistar (Huwaii) dongle for the past 2 years or so to connect to the internet on my laptop (Windows XP). I recently backed up my personal files (drive D) and deleted them from my laptop, from this time I am unable to access the internet (although I appear to connect O.K.), no error message is displayed, the wi-fi connection is highlighted indicating that it is available however the GPRS/3G connection remains feint (i.e. unavailable). I have unistalled Movistar and re-installed without success, everthing installs O.K. An Huwaii entry appears under modem and ports, When I login I see a successful connection to Movistar but then cannot proceed because the GPRS/3G menu option is feint . I think that I must have deleted something when deleting my personal files, can anyone help ?
I have a Vodafone USB modem ( Dongle) made by Huwaii. I think all the USB modems are made by Huwaii and work in a similar way.
The fact that the wi-fi connection is highlighted has no significance whatsoever to a USB modem.

Lets start at the beginning. How did you uninstall Movistar and how did you re-install it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris