scanner

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tom1
Andalucia.com Amigo

scanner

Postby tom1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:30 pm

I finally saw the light and got rid of my very old pc and now have a nice new dell laptop. However I find today when I come to use the Packard Bell Diamond 1200plus scanner that came with my old pc it wont work and messages come up on my screen about drivers etc. I tried running the cd or dvd whatever that came with the scanner 10 years ago but no joy. any advice would be appreciated(but please in non-technical language). tom

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: scanner

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi tom1,
Looks like its time to get a new All-in-one scanner as there are no drivers for Vista/Windows 7. :(

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compat ... %20scanner
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Try these people. It's not free but it might be cheaper than buying a new one.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I have to agree with Enrique - I was amazed at the quality of the HP printer scanner that came free with my sister-in-law's laptop. It scans to pdf and the menu system is very simple.
When I looked it up it only costs £27 there's even a wireless one for a few poinds more. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 418969.htm
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 pm

A new printer is, as has been suggested, the way ahead.

There are some amazing deals around. A few weeks ago I bought an HP printer/scanner from amazon.co.uk, reduced from £99 to £39 and still free delivery to Spain.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:13 pm

As a general rule, avoid HP printers if you want to be able to buy really cheap ink.

Epson and Canon have a huge range of printers and cheap ink is readily available.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

I've not found HP ink really any more expensive. I've had hp, canon and epsom and one problem i have had is cartridges drying up before empty, probably because i don't do a lot of printing. Hp have lasted longer.

Even if hp ink is dearer, I offset that by the printers being better. I started with hp, tried canon and epsom but gone back to hp because i found them overall better. Personal opinion of course but i would recommend hp every time. There's more to printers than cost of ink.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 am

I have to agree. A big problem I had with Epson was the ink drying up unless you were a constant user. I , like Steve, have gone back to HP and quality and less hassle offset the cost of ink.

I do agree the ink is expensive but they are now doing compatibles although I prefer the originals and just look for bargains e.g. Staples were doing a bogof at one time.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 am

I use Epson and have never had a problem with ink drying with only occasional use.I also think the compatibles I use do a better job than Epson inks even though they cost less than 1/3 of the price.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 pm

My Epson ink also dried up. I find the cost of HP cartridges quite reasonable.
In the village it's €15 for black & white or colour (HP21 and HP 22)
Dave

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

I think there is something about the Epson ink that means that it clogs the nozzles easily - it might also be the same reason that people are reporting dried cartridges. Once I discovered that gently wiping them with a wet cloth works - I've not had a problem since. The cartidges are very reasonably priced and cheaper than the HP printer that I had before.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Mowser wrote:My Epson ink also dried up. I find the cost of HP cartridges quite reasonable.
In the village it's €15 for black & white or colour (HP21 and HP 22)
I suppose it depends on what you mean by reasonable.

I have just had an email from my UK supplier offering me cartridges for my Canon at £1.15 each - inc free delivery to Spain.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 am

Sid

Are these fully loaded?
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 am

Yes they are. Ink is so cheap it only represents a fraction of the cost of even a £1.15 cartridge. Most of the cost is refilling, rechipping and packaging and postage.

You can buy the ink for £50 a gallon!

Printer companies make almost all their profit from selling vastly overpriced replacement ink cartridges. My last Epson printer cost about £80 and a set of 6 refills was £66. I bought compatible cartridges at £5 a set. Never had any problems. I now have a Canon and the same applies.

Some companies like HP, Lexmark and Dell make it much harder to rechip the cartridges so it is more difficult and more expensive to get cheap inks for them. Epson and Canon are easy - you can even buy unchipped refills and reprogram the chip yourself.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 am

I bought HP compatible cartridges in Torre del Mar for €10. They dried up pretty quickly. I used to get cartridges for my old Epson from "cartridge monkey" in the UK but the price for HP cartridges is the same as the price in Spain.
:thumbdown:
Dave

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:00 am

Sid,
Would that be the INKredibley cheap place that you have mentioned before that does free delivery ?

I have just noticed they have started doing compatibles for my Canon but they are still £15 ish for the high capacity ones, those for yours are unbelievably cheap.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 am

That's right.

They do most of the Canon models but yours doesn't seem to be on the list apart from cheaper originals.

Before buying a printer, if you want cheap inks for it, check availability before you buy.

Hopefully they will get round to including it when they have sorted out the rechipping.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I would like to buy a printer that just prints black, no color, Is that possible?
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Julie wrote:I would like to buy a printer that just prints black, no color, Is that possible?
Yes, a laser printer.
Don't think you can buy a black only inkjet printer or even an inkjet printer that isn't part of a all in one, printer, scanner etc.
That is why I have gone for a laser printer.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks Gerry, I'll google it :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.