Which netbook is best..advice please.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Nimrod
Resident

Which netbook is best..advice please.

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 pm

I am thinking of buying a netbook (in UK ) as a back up for my laptop which hasn't been too reliable lately.
I would use it to surf the internet whilst out,I would not want to download music or films but I would like to plug in my printer when my laptop goes on the blink.
Screen size 10.1 in.
I don't want an ipad or similar.
Does anyone have any advice and recommendations please
Many thanks.
Nimrod

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Which netbook is best..advice please.

Postby frank » Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Most people can give you experience of their own, but probably don't have anything to compare it with, so whilst it's good to have their thoughts, I'd also have a look at what the experts say as well, something like http://tinyurl.com/7gkzbty
If you google "netbook+review" you'll get loads of good feedback on the various netbooks out there. Some people, like us, will have had one for a couple of years, but they have changed a great deal in that time, the latest reviews will be bang up to date. We're fans of John Lewis, great company to deal with, 2 years warranty, 90 days software support. http://tinyurl.com/bojutnu
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 pm

I have been using a Samsung NP-NC10 for a while now. Very easy to use, and most importantly for a netbook, it has an excellent battery life with around 4 hours use from a full charge.

The exact model I have is:
Samsung NC10 Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 10.1 inch TFT Display, LAN, WLAN, BT, XP Home, Black)

Ideal for travelling and occasional home use.
Hardworking resident !!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu May 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Nimrod,
Frank sums it up nicely....the ones on his last link you can compare easily too.
Some thoughts............

Battery life........if you're out all day do you want to carry a charger.

Most use on board Graphics so use Ram, I'd like to see 2GB memory in spec.

Disk size of 250 -320GB looks good.

Windows 7 Starter is 32bit OS, looses out to Home Premium .

Remove any of the "Free" Anti-Virus, like McAfee or Norton, and use Avast.

Have a look in the stores that display systems , go and play with them, then look around for the best deals on the model of your choice.

Acer have a good range/price in this 10.1 size.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you everyone ,very useful info...I will investigate.

Once again,many thanks :thumbup:

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm

As mentioned in another thread we have just upgraded our 4 office desktop systems and as before custom built, so no idea what´s what…….but well pleased!

For a couple of years I have travelled with a Acer One and it has been perfect in extremely difficult conditions getting very hot……Sahara every month…… looks absolutely filthy due to dust and sand and got a bit chewed by Alice, my constant terrier companion, but it has never missed a beat …….and always gave a consistent 6 plus hours battery life……….handy as Alice also eat the charger lead during the last trip :?

On the basis of the above I have just bought an Acer One 277…………..only just out of the box, so we will see!
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

I love my HP mini!

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:35 pm

I've just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 11.6 screen - 4GB + 320GB memory - it's as good as a laptop, but the size of a netbook (and the 11.6 screen is much better resolution for watching movies etc)
I can spell but I can't type

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri May 04, 2012 7:37 am

Hi,
Nice one Janda...........Lenovo Ideapad 11.6 screen
Was thinking of mentioning 11.6 yesterday, would save the OP replacing Laptop when it died.
From what I've seen of the Lenovo make the build quality is impressive, along with their prices. :!:

Currently monitoring a Acer Atom through the "Uni test"..............two years travelling to an from lectures in a back pack, been grounded a few times too in the icy weather 8)

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 am

If you still opt for a netbook get one with at least 2Gb of ram.

We've had a Sony Vaio netbook that comes with us on our travels for a 18 months. It shipped with 1Gb ram and once you've started Skype, thunderbird and a browser the memory is pretty much all used up and it runs like a dog. I spent hours tweaking autostart programs and services trying to improve performance but to no avail. It nearly ended up in swimming pools or exiting a hotel window so many times out of sheer frustration at waiting for it to do something when I clicked the mouse or had to close a program in order to start another.

Recently figured out that it could be upgraded to 2Gb so bought a memory card which I installed myself and it has made a world of difference. Great little machine now. Never be as fast as a laptop due to the atom processor but more than adequate performance now for email, browsing, watching videos etc
Regards

Bob

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for your help and advice everyone.
I actually bought a Toshiba NB510/10 from John Lewis,easy to use and 9 hours battery life although I've managed longer than that.
Bit slower than my laptop so I'll take casita-bonita's advice and upgrade to 2 mb.
One problem I have though,it has google chrome on it and when I scroll down to tick the licence agreement box it doesn't scroll down far enough even though the task bar is hidden.
How do I get to the bottom of the form?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi Nimrod,
The spanner top right on Chrome, use Zoom :?:

Or resize your window. F11 key :?:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Or use Ctrl plus + or - to make the page bigger or smaller. Ctrl plus 0 (zero) to return it to normal.

It works in any browser.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Nimrod,
Have you got one of those two finger touch pads, use two fingers to scroll :?:

From Toshiba.................

"Touch Pad with customisable Multi-Touch Control, supporting one- and two-finger scroll, pinch, rotate and other gestures. "

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Enrique I haven't got those features(I think!)
It's a netbook not a notepad.
i've tried all the suggestions to get to ok licence agreement but nothing works.
Should I delete the prog and download or speak to the free software back up line?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Nimrod,
"it has google chrome on it and when I scroll down to tick the licence agreement box "

Is this a new thing with Chrome..License thing :?:

According to Toshiba site ..Toshiba NB510/10 has that touch pad I mentioned in previous post.

Use your two "arrow" fingers.( the ones the French wanted to cut from English Archers ) and stoke the touch pad to scroll down.