Reduced rate calls to the UK

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Reduced rate calls to the UK

Postby olive » Sat May 26, 2012 6:21 pm

First the good news, we can and do use Skype to Skype a lot.

We used to use 902 909 717 (call2abroad). That was a service that had no registration and was cheaper than via Telefonica. Looking on their website it looks as though you have to arrange credit on your account before it works. That explains why some of us on the forum encounter a tone to indicate "not available". Not so keen on setting up yet another account.

So am now starting from scratch. What are the possibilities out there for calling 3 separate elderly relatives in the UK ? What do other people use to keep their bills lower?

I'll rule out buying them a 3G enabled mobile for Skype to Skype as they will not be able to get to grips with the technology or forget to switch the phone on even.. Skype to Uk landline might be a possibility now we have a stable Internet connection.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Reduced rate calls to the UK

Postby El Cid » Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm

olive wrote:First the good news, we can and do use Skype to Skype a lot.
Skype to Uk landline might be a possibility now we have a stable Internet connection.
If you are used to Skype then use the Skype to landline option at about 2c/min

There are probably slightly cheaper options but Skype is the easiest to use if you are used to using it for Skype to Skype calls.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 pm

We are on talktalk.es they do a plan where you can pay 15 euro a month and speak to usa and europe for as long as you want, when you want, the service is really excellent too. With have landline and adsl with them as well.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun May 27, 2012 10:26 am

talktalk sounds attractive but we are served by TRAC phone so no landline/ADSL option. Internet by 3G

JaJah?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I use voipcheap. You sign up and pay around €14. This gives you "free" calls for 90 days. After this you use the existing credit to call the UK. It costs then 1.5 cents a minute without a connection charge. You must have broadband though.
Dave

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm

I use Voipcheap for all our UK calls. I use my mobile to dial the access number (Spanish landline), so with Vodafone you get 90 minutes for the cost of 1, then Voipcheap is free. Although you need internet to set up your account, once you have told them the mobile number you will be calling from, you don't need internet at all. I think Mowser is referring to using your computer to call Voipcheap, but as I say, you can also do it from mobile or landline.
AlisonB

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm

We've been using the same system as Alison,Vodafone talk for 90 minutes pay for 1 routed through Voipcheap, for about 4 years,we also use http://www.localphone.comthat gives a dedicated local (Spanish) number on your mobile for each number that you call.The cost of ringing a UK land line is 0.7c per minute and for ringing a mobile 5.5 c per minute.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Have a look at Jajah:

www.jajah.com

You could set up accounts on your own computer for each of the relatives and they could call you using a UK access number without the need for a computer.
Let's go Brandon!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon May 28, 2012 1:17 pm

jajah is good and always works ... but there is a standing call cost of 70c for the 971 number ontop of the 2.3 c /min

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon May 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I have 911 (Madrid) access numbers and they don't cost me anything from my landline and only €0,35 from my mobile. I have never been charged on my Telefónica bill and only pay €0,026 per minute on my Jajah account.
Let's go Brandon!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon May 28, 2012 6:52 pm

I've had a look at localphone and it's really cheap to call UK mobiles - only 5.5c per minute which is less than half the cost from Voipcheap. The latter is better for landlines as they are free, but some of my family only have mobiles (including me) and our computer connection makes using Skype sound like talking to Norman Collier. Had a look at Jajah, but for what we need (calling from a mobile), I think it's more expensive than localphone and Voipcheap.
AlisonB

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for localphone updates to take place on ones credit balance please ?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:46 pm

+1 for VOIPcheap. We've used it for years which has save us a fortune. I have two accounts, a .co.uk and a .com. If the free days run out or if we exceed the 'reasonable use limit' we just switch to the other for a few days and continue to get the cheapest service.
Brian.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 am

Just topped up my "localphone" account.the balance updated in less than 5 minutes.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I use Voipcheap for calling UK numbers and agree it saves a fortune. I hadn't heard of localphone, but have now registered. It's much cheaper for calling mobiles either Spain to UK or vice versa than Voipcheap. You can also register both UK and Spanish numbers for calling from, so you don't need 2 accounts
AlisonB

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Have now started using localphone when I am out and about to ring mobiles in uk, well impressed with price and service :)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Voipcheap however does give you 90 days of free calls before they charge you 1.5 cents per minute.
Dave

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Mowser - Voipcheap is better for landlines, but for mobiles, localphone is much better. The rate is about half for a UK mobile
AlisonB

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I've been following this thread with interest, but can't decide if these systems would be any use to me. I have a UK mobile and a Spanish mobile - the Spanish tariff (Movistar) I am on doesn't seem to let me call out of Spain (tho I can text), so when I'm in Spain, I have to use my UK mobile to call UK.

I don't really make many calls to UK when in Spain - most communication is via text, and if someone needs to speak to me I always get them to call my Spanish phone. However, there are birthdays, Christmas, emergencies etc and it would be sensible to keep costs down :D

Looking at both localphone & Voipcheap, they seem to be set up for being in UK and calling abroad, rather than being abroad & calling UK (using a UK phone), or am I just reading it wrong ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks to this thread, I'm now investigating localphone.

I know this thread is really about calls, but for anyone who likes to text, whatsapp is pretty good. There's a very small start up fee. €3.50 or something around that, and then free texts. I think you need a smart phone, so wouldn't suit everyone, but I've found it marvellous for keeping in touch with my kids.