Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Cheers Sid.......keeping my fingers crossed nothing changes for you.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Acen wrote: Im not sure what the problem is. If they transfer every channel onto 2F we will still get them down here.
Yes you "will still get them down here" if your dish is big enough...

The problem is that you will only be able to receive channel on 2F if your dish is big enough to recieve those signals.

At the moment from the two channels (neither are BBC HD but the future BBC1HD Wales and Scotland) that are on the one frequency that IS on 2F, then it looks like from the reports from many peoples, that their current dishes cannot receive this frequency in your area.

see a reception map : http://tinyurl.com/axdvvqe

The BBC HD channel has not yet moved to 2f. It is still on 1N. So you cannot use BBC HD channel as a measure for 2F reception.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm

The BBC HD channel has not yet moved to 2f. It is still on 1N. So you cannot use BBC HD channel as a measure for 2F reception
So does that mean if we have the HD channel we won't be affected? (Yet) Is it worth getting it, as we haven't at the moment...

Zofia
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm with the pessimists on this one. If you look on the web I haven't seen one report from the CDS of reception of 2F. The nearest is along from Almeria. If you look at the UK spot beam on the ses website and the guess on the a516digital website you will see why I think this way. There are a lot of major free to air signals that will migrate from 1N and even with a very big dish I think it's still going to be very difficult if not impossible. I may be wrong but .....

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Zofia wrote: So does that mean if we have the HD channel we won't be affected? (Yet) Is it worth getting it, as we haven't at the moment...
eh?
All BBC channels will be affected by the move from their current 1N to the new 2F satellite.
As will channels operated by ITV, C4, Five, Nick, and Disney which are also on 1N.
(but maybe not Five HD, ITV2HD,ITV3HD and ITV4HD)

Your reception of these channels on the new satellite will be determined by your exact location and if your dish is big enough to receive the signal.

Current reception for the BBC HD channel has nothing to do with the new satellite at all.

(The BBC currently have 3 "offically" live HD channels : BBC1HD England, BBC1HD Northern Ireland and BBC HD.)

The tests being made on the new satellite are using a frequency that is currently carrying two tests for future BBC1HD channels, which will be for BBC1HD Wales and BBC1HD Scotland. If you cannot receive these test channels on the test frequency on Astra 2F, or any BBC channel when they ALL move to the new satellite, then your dish is not big enough.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm

satandpcguy wrote: (but maybe not Five HD, ITV2HD,ITV3HD and ITV4HD) .
These are not available yet on Freesat or have I missed something? Presumably they are only available on Sky HD.

Are there any plans to put them on Freesat?

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 pm

El Cid wrote:
satandpcguy wrote: (but maybe not Five HD, ITV2HD,ITV3HD and ITV4HD) .
These are not available yet on Freesat or have I missed something? Presumably they are only available on Sky HD.

Are there any plans to put them on Freesat?

Sid
FiveHD is "free to view" - ie no subscription required - but does require a Sky card.
ITV2HD,ITV3HD and ITV4HD require a Sky HD subscription.
So no they are not available on Freesat.
And they are not on 1N, which is why I said that they will not be affected by the move from 1N to 2f.

There has been chat about FiveHD going free to air, maybe with 2F and more "space" it may.
As for ITV, who knows so perhaps they are happy about getting some revenue from SkyHD subscirption - sa they did state when they launched these channels them going to subscrition was purely for commercial reasons...!

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 pm

And they are not on 1N, which is why I said that they will not be affected by the move from 1N to 2f
So if they are not on 1N, would we be able to get them on our TV if we increase our Sky Sub? And they would stay?

Zofia

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Zofia wrote:So if they are not on 1N, would we be able to get them on our TV if we increase our Sky Sub? And they would stay?Zofia
BBC channels are not part of a sky subscription - so it makes no difference for BBC channels.

ITV2HD, ITV3HD ITV4HD E4HD FILM4HD require a sky HD subscription.

But there is no saying what reception will be like for these channels when they move to their new satellite. So I have no idea if they will "stay". Again, you may need a much larger dish than you currently have to be able to rceive them. Until they move, know one will know for sure.

In fact there are rumours this evening that some Sky PAY channels may move from another uK TV satellite, Astra 2B, to 2F. If they move to the UK beam, then you may not get them on your current dish, and may need up go bigger. IF they move to the "European" beam, then your current dsh should get them ok. Which beam they go to will be between Astra and Sky and the channels - so its guesswork for people outsid that loop.

2F is the first of 3 replacement UKTV satellites.
We have 2E early next year and 2G early 2014 to deal with next!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:53 pm

satandpcguy wrote: ITV2HD, ITV3HD ITV4HD E4HD FILM4HD require a sky HD subscription.
!
And presumably a Sky HD box.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 am

So I take it we're all watching BBC breakfast news whilst munching on the Cornflakes :thumbup:

Otherwise this thread would be 20 pages long :mrgreen:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 am

Either that or we have had run round the campo and now back in for muesli breakfast, and not really interested in this thread as we don't have a TV............. 8)

Hope you guys get sorted.......otherwise the computer section will get very busy.......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:25 am

Enrique wrote:Either that or we have had run round the campo and now back in for muesli breakfast
Ah, a man after my own heart :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am

Filmon has a great app for windows 8,which works well. The main problem with Filmon is the quality of the non subscription stream.
It could be that as we've never had it so good as far as British TV is concerned and we expect the best.
I remember in the eighties trying to listen to football matches on a radio and losing the signal every few minutes and even then when you could hear it, it sounded like someone was cooking bacon in the background.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 pm

markwilding wrote: The main problem with Filmon is the quality of the non subscription stream.
Yes but I guess they have it that way to encourage you to subscribe to the HD version - which is nowhere like proper HD but a lot better than their base offering.

The problem is it's wildly overpriced at €15/mth.

I have been playing around with BBC iPlayer on my iPad and with a 3mb connection I get the occasional stoppage as it rebuffers for a couple of seconds. The best solution I have found so far is to download the HD version of the program overnight and that looks good and plays direct from the iPad to the TV with Airplay on the Apple TV.

For live TV if I run BBC iPlayer in a browser it runs better but for some reason doesn't run completely full screen but it is a viable option.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 pm

I forgot to mention this yesterday to run it past you.........A difficult one.

I was speaking to an English friend over there on Sunday who called to say he'd walked past our house and all the outside lights had vanished........he was relieved when we told him the Spanish bloke who looks after the place had told us to remove them before we left...........to avoid further breakages :D .

Anyway I digress...........I asked him what he thought of this TV thing and the new sats maybe not having the same coverage............seeing as he's only recently had his 1.3 dish fitted after years of just using the TV for DVDs etc. As he's not a forum browser he'd not heard of the possible problems and thought I was joking. When he realised I wasn't he said "Well I've only had the bloody set-up for 3 months so it's under warranty" :shock: ............something I'd not thought of. Where would he stand with the installer if the system becomes duff later this week?.................my guess is the installer may offer him a 3m or similar dish in p/x for the old one..........but as I say it could be interesting, especially with a 12 month w/tee in his hand.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Just a thought, can the installer be held responsible for the change in satellites?
Similarly could the installer be held responsible if, say, the BBC stopped coverage of football?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Just a thought, can the installer be held responsible for the change in satellites?
Probably not, as there has been nothing 'official' about it they can claim they didn't know, I suppose. Or that no one actually knows for sure what WILL happen when the changeover takes place. Which is true. My neighbour has been reassured that their TV will not be affected....

Zofia

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm

In fact my neighbours' son, the same age as my two has reassured them that if our telly goes they can go there to watch :wtf:

Zofia

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

gerryh wrote:Just a thought, can the installer be held responsible for the change in satellites?
Similarly could the installer be held responsible if, say, the BBC stopped coverage of football?
Cheers
Gerry
That's right - he put the dish up and it does what it is supposed to do. When the changeover comes it will still receive a few hundred channels including most of the Sky channels.

It's not his fault if the broadcasters choose to move their programmes to a different satellite, although any installer who knows his job should have know that there was a possibility it was likely to happen.

If it does go pear shaped in the next few days there is going to be a lot of "wailing and gnashing of teeth" as they say!

Sid