Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Rather than all the doom and gloom and pre guessing what will happen we should perhaps look on the bright side. What ever we have left will be better than 20 years ago when we used to get 4 Spanish channels and the papers a day late if we were lucky.

I am sure it will not be as bad as some think.

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello Zofia,
Thank you for your supportive reply to my posting,all I want is a simple solution.
allgram.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Dantis wrote: Incidently, as only 'Freesat' channels will probably be located on the UK spot beam, Sky channels will probably remain on the easy to receive Pan-European beam, so anyone with a Sky subscription will at least still be able to receive those channels (remember ITV2,3 and 4 in HD are Sky exclusive) so should not be affected.
A number of "Sky pay" channels have been on UK spot beams...Disneys, Nicks, and a number of Sky active channels for example.

Channels, even those Sky pay channels, will be on a mix of both UK and pan european. inthe same way that they were spread over 2a and 2bs north and south beams...channels on some north beams (eg euroepsort2) were unavailable 24/7 even on 2,.4m dishes where I am...yet other channels (eurosport1) were easily available on a 80cm dish!

The decision will not just be Skys, it will also be down to the channel owners, and what they want, and if they are prepared to pay a higher charge to be on the uk beam.
Dantis wrote:Premiership football will not be affected as it is a Sky channel not Freesat.
Who knows.
The change of satellites will affect all channels on the astra satellites...those on Freesat and Sky.
For all we know, Sky will put Sports 1 and 2 SD on the uK beam, and the HD version on the pan european beam, to milk an extra £10per month out of expats who want sports 1and2!
allgram wrote:Re: Ch 5 and others gone.
I am sorry for posting a simple request hoping for a non technical answer, surely there must be people like me who cannot begin to understand what,
10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1), means, I did follow the postings but as I get older, technical advances leaves me further and further behind, I am a plug and play person El Cid,sorry for my little understanding of your tekkie world.
allgram.
If you now get "no signal " when you go to channel five, it means your dish is now too small to receive that channel.
This is because Channel Five has moved satellites, and is now on a harder to receive beam.
YOu have lost this channel as your current dish is simply too small to receive this channel.
If you want to continue to receive channel 5 then you will need a much bigger dish.
allgram wrote:Hello Zofia,
Thank you for your supportive reply to my posting,all I want is a simple solution.
allgram.
Simple solution: Get a bigger dish.

But it may be best to wait to see what happens with other channels like BBC and ITVs.
It may be a bigger dish today, may be too small when BBCs move to their new satellite.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm

allgram wrote:Re: Ch 5 and others gone.
I am sorry for posting a simple request hoping for a non technical answer,
allgram.
You are presumably referring to the fact that I closed the other thread that you started.

If people post new threads where there is already a perfectly good and very comprehensive thread on the same subject it only serves to confuse everyone and fragments the discussion.

It's a complicated subject and there are no simple non technical answers.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Looks as though, to start with, I will be using Filmon.com for Channel 5. Then it will be Filmon when, or if, other channels go. Only once we know exactly what is finally happening and we know what size dish will be required will it be sensible to even consider changing the dish.

I can connect my PC to the TV via an HDMI cable but not keen on having a cable running ghe length of a fairly long lounge. Fires and doors make it impractible installing the cable discreetly and That length of cable introduces sone signal loss.

An easier option for me would be to see if I can do it through the Wii although in the past the quality of the internet picture through the Wii has not been great and it is a slow and cumbersome process doing anything on the internet on the Wii.

Best option for me might be to do it through the iPad but how do I connect the iPad to the TV? I have the Apple connectors for connecting a camera or SD card to the iPad and the TV has HDMI spare socket and a a USB port. Any suggestions?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm

I think it is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it Sid. Satguy nailed it above in simple terms......ie if the signal has gone you need a bigger dish (or an alternative way of viewing). He also states, which seems logical to me to wait until ALL channels have switched before panic buying.

Yes he can get techie too when asked about frequency numbers and channel placings.............but some guys also like that detail too. Maybe a "simple" thread and a "techie" thread would please all :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Best option for me might be to do it through the iPad but how do I connect the iPad to the TV? I have the Apple connectors for connecting a camera or SD card to the iPad and the TV has HDMI spare socket and a a USB port. Any suggestions?
Get an Apple TV (112 euro via http://store.apple.com/es/browse/home/s ... y/apple_tv)

Then you can output the iPad to your tv via using airplay. I do it all the time, it works great.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 pm

johnr wrote:
Get an Apple TV (112 euro via http://store.apple.com/es/browse/home/s ... y/apple_tv)

Then you can output the iPad to your tv via using airplay. I do it all the time, it works great.
Agree totally. Great little box if you have an iThing. It turns your iPhone into a really great TV remote control and streaming device.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

xbmc on the pc
i think it is what the appletv uses...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 pm

satandpcguy wrote:xbmc on the pc
So are you saying that Apple uses someone's else's open source software - seems odd.

Are there any other boxes that you know that can stream from a device to a STB such as the Apple TV. I know there are some Android STBs but I'm not sure if they can stream from a hand held device such as an Android phone/tablet.

Sid

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:45 pm

El Cid wrote:
satandpcguy wrote:xbmc on the pc
So are you saying that Apple uses someone's else's open source software - seems odd.
No, the standard Apple TV doesn't use XBMC. Many people jailbreak them though and run XBMC on it. It's not something I've had cause to do so haven't looked in to it but will do now (I last used XBMC on original Xboxes years ago and had quite a few!) I'm now looking for a good IPTV solution. I have a dreambox sat receiver which I could possibly use, or an xbox 360 (sky go using a vpn?)... there are a few solution (of various dubious legalities of course).

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

WiDi is another way of getting content from your PC to the TV. It works well and mirrors exactly what you have on your desktop

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... splay.html

Apart from the PC or laptop specs a decent internet speed is required.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Yes but if your laptop doesn't have WiDi then what is the alternative?

Also not all TVs have the ability to receive it without an extra attachment.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 am

The computer specs are important but many newer laptops have them. I bought an Widi adaptor and changed the wifi card on my laptop.
It's not for everybody but it is an option. The adaptors are around 50 pounds at Amazon
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:54 am

Does anyone know how BBC radio channels will be affected? I assume in the same way as the tv ones? :(

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am

campocaro1 wrote:Does anyone know how BBC radio channels will be affected? I assume in the same way as the tv ones? :(
Yes. BBC radios channels on Astra 1N will be affeced in the same way BBC TV channels on 1N...
BBC Radio channels are on two frequencies - which also carry BBC TV channels.
SO if you lose BBC TV then you will also lose BBC radios.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am

But at least you can receive BBC radio channels via the Internet with no geographic restrictions.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks satandpcguy that's what I feared. yes masterrob but like many on this forum we do not have broadband and we have limited allowance via satellite internet so cannot stream audio (and certainly not video) as much as we would like...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 am

campocaro1 wrote:Thanks satandpcguy that's what I feared. yes masterrob but like many on this forum we do not have broadband and we have limited allowance via satellite internet so cannot stream audio (and certainly not video) as much as we would like...
I use tunein radio on my phone for BBC with little bandwidth. A very useful option is to reduce the stream to 48 kbps making it much easier to listen with limited allowance. I've had a look an the website and this option doesn't seem to be available for a windows PC or laptops but for android tablets or Apple gadgets it is.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am

What about one of these "Smart" TV sets with built in WiFi. Can these be used to watch IPlayer ?
Hardworking resident !!