Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 am

Thank you to Sid and David for all your work to give us the sort of box we are looking for - a simple to use one already set up with the programs we need and a VPN. All I need to do now is to sort out my ISP to fix my speed problems (as bad as last night today, so slow it won't even complete the speedtest with ping of 579, and keep losing signal altogether :( )

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 am

Wicksey. Have you contacted your ISP about your poor speed? They might be able to tweek something. A couple of years ago we were getting slow speeds. I contacted the ISP and they say they tweeked something. Speed certainly did improve and has stayed reasonable. This year it has twice dropped below 1mps download but most of the time it is between 3 and 7. Still buffers when streaming though.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 pm

firsttango wrote:The one I use and gave you the details you asked for in a previous post I think maybe ideal, it really is very user friendly and comes complete with the usb reciever. I think without one even the simplest of navigation between channels etc would be a very top heavy arduous process much like trying to use search on a smart t.v purely by the remote keys and would quickly drive you mad. It took about 2 days to get used to this particular airmouse and now feels very easy and second nature.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 17283.html
This also seems to be the choice of Spanish people I know. They tell me it takes just a few minutes to set up and works really well.
They also buy from Geekbuying.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes Mark it really is so user friendly and had it over a month and used heavily and still hasn't needed recharging. Have only ever had good 5* service from Geekbuying

Aunty Val
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aunty Val » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:45 pm

A question for El Cid regarding the new box...

Does the IPlayer interface look and act the same as the Internet version that I am used to using via the laptop or is it a condensed/different version which (for example) is like the ones on the Humax Freeview boxes?

Sounds like it could be the one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:06 pm

No, it's not the same as the one on the BBC site but it does much the same. It's the normal Android version. The Apple version is different again. I haven't seen the Humax version.

I mainly use the version on my Smart TV and that's different again, mainly as it doesn't have live TV.

Sid

Aunty Val
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aunty Val » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Hmmm...

I haven't experienced the "android version" and I am used to using the laptop, so I am concerned that it doesn't have the same facilities.

Are you saying the Android version doesn't have the "watch live" ability or your Smart TV that doesn't? - your comment isn't clear.

Thanks for all your help on this Sid, really appreciated.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

It's the TV that doesn't have the live option - what would be the point if you were in the UK?

The Android and Apple apps have the full catchup and live options. On top of that there is the Filmon app and TVCatchup which also offer live TV. It's a question of using the app that is the easiest to navigate and use - the quality seems much the same whichever you choose.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm

markwilding wrote:
El Cid wrote:There is one DNS service that is in Beta at the moment and does give it for free - for how long is anyones guess. Go to [url]http://www.unolocator%20.com[/url]

Sid
A slight mistake with the address

https://unlocator.com
I have logged onto this to give it a try in beta mode. I have input the given dns settings into a Linksys router and confirmed on the unlocator site that my account is active and got the green tick confirming it's active. I changed the settings to UK as well. Connected the router to my sky hd+ box for on demand and it opens it up beautifully, which it definitely won't do if it senses wrong ip location, BUT it won't let me download a programme. I have been using the on demand for some time with another router and vpn successfully but thought I would try the dns option. I have e mailed unlocator but in the meantime anyone else have any ideas?

swerve
Resident

Re: XBMC box

Postby swerve » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Just installed it on my laptop and am using navi -x and have had no problems. There's plenty of how to videos on YouTube if you get stuck. I'm using it in the uk on a very decent bandwidth setup using wifi.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 am

I am current getting TV via Filmon and an HDMI cable. The picture quality on ITV is okay but on the other channels it freezes for a few seconds then continues and this happens repeatedly. I am lucky to have a 20mb download speed so am unsure why I am having this problem. Will the box from David Latham stop this from happening? If it does then it looks like a great solution for watching the box without having cables trailing across the floor.

Thanks for your help.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm

It depends on what is causing the problem. Clearly, it isn't your download speed so it would suggest the problem is with your laptop or router.

The Android box does offer many options for getting a good TV stream as it can access BBC and ITV live direct from the broadcasters through their catchup players. C4 and C5 are catchup only, but their other options as well. The quality of Filmon is far better when you use the app on the Android boxes or tablets rather than via your PC browser.

Incidentally, I heard this morning that the Intelsat 907 system is about to change to a new encryption system within a couple of weeks and they have now sacked the guy who was leaking the codes after they had been changed.

Sid

USINSPAIN
Resident

Postby USINSPAIN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Just a question on the box it says it comes with a VPN I have used a VPN before and it slows my speed down I took the advice off here and installed a DNS from smarty and that is great so will the VPN alter my internet speed Thank you

Unicorn
Resident

Energy Sistem Android Smart TV box

Postby Unicorn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:43 pm

I am not sure if this should be on the longest blog in the world but anyway. I did search for this product on here but came up negative.

This Energy Sistem Android Smart box says that you put in on your tv and it makes it into a smart tv. Does anyone know this product? Has anyone tried it? It seems to be based in north Spain but has an English website.

I do, as has been recorded on here, do have a smart tv but would like to put something like this on one of the others.

Any comments gratefully received.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: XBMC box

Postby Julie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:18 pm

I use it on my apple tv and my laptop. Im going to buy another box to take to spain, so i dont have to put it through my laptop or take apple tv and leave hubby with no football jaja

The only thing will be the download allowed in Spain, if one is limited I douby xmbc is a good idea as tere is so much to watch, the emptaion would be high.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Energy Sistem Android Smart TV box

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

It's just the same as all the other generic Android boxes. Yes, it turns your TV into a Smart TV, in the sense that it is connected to the Internet, but you will have to spend a lot of time setting it up to get the stations you want.

There are loads of such systems available on Amazon and other sites.

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Energy Sistem Android Smart TV box

Postby Julie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Now tv box £9.99
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Bugwap
Tourist

Postby Bugwap » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

USINSPAIN wrote:Just a question on the box it says it comes with a VPN I have used a VPN before and it slows my speed down I took the advice off here and installed a DNS from smarty and that is great so will the VPN alter my internet speed Thank you
No 'The box' in question comes configured with a VPN option which will have no negative impact on the speed of your internet connection whatsoever...... :thumbup:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

There will be no setup required, plug it in, connect it to your wifi and TV and it is up and running. The screen you will see is very simple. A pretty picture with one row of icons at the bottom. These include BBC iPlayer, BBC Radio Player, ITV player, channel 4 on demand, channel 5 on demand, Mobdru (which has links set up for loads of other TV streams including those that we should not really talk about here, and many other). There is also a Filmon icon. Finally, there is an icon for access to the settings menu for setting up your WiFi etc. There is also a search box at the top with direct access to Google on the Internet.
Variable BB4S broadband speed means it will sometimes be preferable to download from iplayer and stream from iphone/lappie/ipad later. Can this box support streaming from another device? Someone mentioned ES file explorer as a possible app that could be dowloaded to an android to support streaming from another device.

In any event, the question remains. Having bought tis box whats the best way to download and stream downloaded iplayer programmes. Thanks for any help.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:06 pm

If you have an iPad/iPhone then surely the best solution would be to have an Apple TV and stream through that. Otherwise, I am pretty sure the box supports streaming but David Latham is the person to answer that. You can certainly download to a USB stick and play from that.

Sid