Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Miro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:56 pm

We've discovered How it's Made, on Quest TV. Totally hooked! I hope they show it in schools, it could inspire kids to do jobs I never even knew existed. :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 am

We found the Community Channel http://www.communitychannel.org/ with a series recorded for one of the Discovery channels called Down on the Farm. A young couple from Bristol bought a farm in Wales and the work that they did was amazing .... he cut down their own trees to make planks to make into their kitchen, and she was making wine out of hedgerow fruit, making her own slippers out of a sheepkin rug etc ..... well .... I though it was interesting to see everything they have done, and was something different to watch.

jules_spain
Tourist

Postby jules_spain » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm

My problem is that I really want to be able to watch UK TV on a TV, not a laptop or tablet, be able to channel hop and all the stuff I could do before with Sky. I could connect my laptop to the TV and use BBC iplayer, Filmon etc, but it is a hassle. Also, I want the children to be able to watch TV without having to give them my laptop.

In addition we have rental properties, where people want to have UK channels too, and again it needs to be via the TV not via a computer or tablet.

So I think we have to go down the route of a box and IPTV subscription. I have found one which gives me all the basic channels plus loads more - Sky Sports, Sky movies etc. Presumably though these are obtained by dodgy means...or they are re-broadcasting from a Sky subscription. My concern is that I pay a yearly subscription up front, but I think I am willing to take the risk to get UK TV back and all those additional channels too.

Does anyone have experience of a subscription like this? Should I be wary?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

jules_spain wrote:Should I be wary?
The short answer must be "very"!
If you read the 50+ pages on this thread you will see that no such solution exists - at least not as you describe it.
You may have to refocus your marketing to aim at folk wanting an escape from all things UK.
Keep watching this thread if you like, in case someone does come up with a magic solution, otherwise you may have to do what the rest of us who live here do, lump it!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Don't know how old the "children" are, but wouldn't they be happy watching Spanish TV anyway? Just a thought.
As for the IPTV boxes with subscriptions, the general consensus here seems to be that they are a serious rip-off. However, it seems to me that these type of boxes (as opposed to the Android boxes with XBMC or Filmon apps etc.) are the only way to get a proper TV guide and "channel hopping" ability that you want. There are some that accept monthly payments rather than a year up front, and the sports / movie channels are usually optional - if you're happy with the basic channels, the cost is less. It's not my choice (I don't need it that bad) but I don't really understand the vehement opposition to them here - especially since very few actually using one have so far reported their experiences - positive or negative, that I'm aware of. As for being wary, yes, of course, as with all things, but there are some companies offering demos in their shops, which seems like a good idea, if for nothing else, to satisfy yourself that you're not dealing with some bloke operating on a mobile 'phone out of a bar.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Got this for elderly parents and set it up thanks to work and advice from El Cid, as mentioned in previous post. Works an absolute treat and the after sales service is top notch. Cannot praise it enough and the rents are 80 and can work the basics even the air mouse after 2/3 days

No rip off subscriptions...no cowboy wannabee techies...simply as cuprinol says about the tin!!!

http://androidtvsolutions.com/all-new-e ... droid-box/

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Well done sounds great. Where did you buy it from Amazon!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 pm

The mind boggles! :crazy:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm

I have just spoken to them. The box costs 145 pounds which includes delivery and there is also a 25 pound charge per annum for the VTM whatever that is. I presume that is the IPS! I am not up with the appreviated terms used with all this technology mainly because I don't know what they are even when they are not appreviated :mrgreen:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Read this thread. All will be revealed. :silent:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

patricia wrote:I have just spoken to them. The box costs 145 pounds which includes delivery and there is also a 25 pound charge per annum for the VTM whatever that is. I presume that is the IPS! I am not up with the appreviated terms used with all this technology mainly because I don't know what they are even when they are not appreviated :mrgreen:
Go for it, it just works out of the box! And more importantly, no rip off subscription!

Sid

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Had my box for just over a week, well pleased. :D
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 pm

I have just see this for sale by Amozon is it the same as the others StealthX iMX3 Android 4.2 XBMC Smart TV Box for 74 pounds reduced from 114 pounds!! Does not say anything about a VPN and there is no yearly payment :thumbup: Please dont tell me to read through the thread I have gone read up to page 32ish and my brain is now addled :crazy: seems like a good price but there is no back up as in Adtelly and the most recent one someone has purchased from Androidservice.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:24 pm

El Cid wrote:
Miro wrote:
http://www.europa-network.com/tv/. I like the fact that they specifically state that they do NOT supply any encrypted channels, such as Sky Sports, and hence do NOT charge any subscription fees.
No, they don't charge for their basic offering, but you have to have their ADSL connection which is the last thing I want. If you do want catchup and extra channels they charge an extra €15 a month.

Sid

The latest europa-network advert for the Mag250 in the current Olive Press states that you can stay with your existing ADSL provider and pay 79.95 +iva or pay 59.95 +iva if you take their adsl. No monthly fee for the basic uk channels. I have e mailed them for clarification on the offer their web page says 14.95 for 14 day catch up but the Olive Press advert makes no mention. Seems like a fair price for the basic channels if it is what it says it is. Many of my clients and friends are using the mag 250 and I have yet to hear a moan even from those on flaky internet speeds.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:44 pm

I agreed (and still do) with Sid's comment about their ADSL (based on the experience of a friend), but if the offer in the Olive Press is as it appears - their Mag250 box with 40+ channels incl. catchup TV etc., with their EPG set up and ready to go (??), to use with your existing ADSL supplier, for a one-off €79.95 (the website still says €129.95 + €14.95 for catchup), I think this could be an outstanding deal. From what I have seen, these boxes, with a dedicated EPG, appear far more user friendly that the Android boxes. The only possible drawback I can see is that (I think) they have to be hardwired to your router rather than using WiFi, which could be inconvenient for some (although it probably also ensures better quality).
The offer seems almost to good to be true - which usually means it is, and there's a catch somewhere. But if not, it looks like a no-brainer, compared to buying your own MX box off Amazon, or a customised one from anywhere else.
Of course, if you want to receive Sky/BT Sports etc. illegally, you'll have to look elsewhere. :silent:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Miro wrote: they have to be hardwired to your router rather than using WiFi, which could be inconvenient
Just a thought from an ignoramus - would using the WiFi extenders that work through your mains circuit, and have 2 ethernet sockets underneath get round this?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Miro wrote:I I think this could be an outstanding deal.
If it is as they say then you are right, but I have yet to see a Spanish supplier offer anything that is really free - why would they? They can't be making much out of just selling the box.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:24 pm

peteroldracer wrote:
Miro wrote: they have to be hardwired to your router rather than using WiFi, which could be inconvenient
Just a thought from an ignoramus - would using the WiFi extenders that work through your mains circuit, and have 2 ethernet sockets underneath get round this?

Yes, it's effectively a hard wired connection.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 pm

El Cid wrote:
Miro wrote:I I think this could be an outstanding deal.
If it is as they say then you are right, but I have yet to see a Spanish supplier offer anything that is really free - why would they? They can't be making much out of just selling the box.

Sid
Quite, but then if that is the case how does anybody make money on subscription free if we all want uktv for free?
I'm still waiting for a reply from them by the way. The phones were constantly engaged.

Their blurb says they earn from getting income from iptv customers potentially buying other products ie adsl, wimax, phone etc

This is from the site it may have been quoted on this thread before but here it is anyway:-

http://www.europa-network.com/tv-legality/

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Just heard that the same ad was in the Daily Mail last week but 10 euros cheaper. I would only use that paper for hygienic purposes which is why I missed it. :lol: :lol: