Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Mowser » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 pm

telboy
:clap:
Dave

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:52 pm

The special BBCRB2 channel for the olympics is now on channel 978 on Sky (in case no-one else has mentioned it) so no need to manually add it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Yes, a friend has just called me with that info but he said that you have to press the red button on the remote to bring up those RB channels - is that true?

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:43 pm

that 978 works for us. Brilliant as would like to see some events.

RB1 is 977. Is there a way of adding that please ifit is broadcasting olympics.?

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm

olive wrote:that 978 works for us. Brilliant as would like to see some events.

RB1 is 977. Is there a way of adding that please ifit is broadcasting olympics.?
RB1 is on the same satellite and beam as the main BBC channels.
RB2 is not, and is on an "easier to receive" satellite and beam.

IF you cannot get RB1 on 977 - you will not get it by "adding" it - as it is only on that one frequency
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm getting 977 OK. It doesn'tshow on the EPG but I can get it by going to 978 then back a channel.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 pm

FilmOn dropping out ?

I've read that live tv viewing over an average wireless link (eg domestic wireless router) can result in loss of video/freezing/interruption/dropout.

Our use of an iPad over the last couple of days has seen FilmOn drop out every few minutes, and we naturally suspected internet and server overload, now that most of southern Spain must be watching it!

Today, we brought up FilmOn on our main PC, which is hard-wired to our broadband connection, and also ran up the iPad, which is wireless router connected. Result: the iPad drops out, the hard-wired PC doesn't. Conclusion: obvious.

Unfortunately, iPad minis don't have an ethernet connection, as they're intended to be mobile devices, so if you're thinking of buying an iPad (or whatever), it might be worth choosing one that does have a direct broadband socket, OR finding a high performance wireless router which is less susceptible to rf interference (presumably from other household and neighbouring devices).

I must say, the picture quality on the iPad from FilmOn is first-rate. It's already been suggested that it's always HD, even on 'free'. Can this last?
Chris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Just wondering if I have missed something - buy SmartTV, connect to FilmOn, view all their channels?
Would that not work?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:35 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Just wondering if I have missed something - buy SmartTV, connect to FilmOn, view all their channels?
Would that not work?
Yes, if the Smart TV has a browser option, which most do now.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:FilmOn dropping out ?

I've read that live tv viewing over an average wireless link (eg domestic wireless router) can result in loss of video/freezing/interruption/dropout.

Our use of an iPad over the last couple of days has seen FilmOn drop out every few minutes, and we naturally suspected internet and server overload, now that most of southern Spain must be watching it!
It should not be a problem. I only have a 2.5mb connection and Filmon and iPlayer work OK on the iPad. The PC is also WiFi and that connects fine. WiFi connection transmits between devices at a very much faster speed than your Internet connection can manage. Even the slowest WiFi connection will be going faster than the data is being received from the Internet.

I suspect you have some problems with your WiFi setup.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Be interesting to see if the narrow spot beam on the BBC channels suddenly becomes a paneuro beam during the holiday periods when various members of the BBC board of governors and their good lady wives visit their holiday homes along the costa and the Algave and dont want any interruption to their viewing pleasure ....just saying :-)

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 pm

filmon had been working fine all day but breaking up all over the place during the voice

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 pm

"....during The Voice"
Peak time viewing. You'd need to check your Download speed [http://www.speedtest.net/] at that moment, and see whether anything's happened to it.
Chris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Download Speeds are only one part of the equation, Ping speed is important as their servers maybe experiencing a "ping flood", you can have a 100mbps fibre optic connection but if Filmon or any other site for that matter cannot cope with the traffic increase on their servers then you'll still get break up and naff service.
As for the Sat Inelsat 907 at 27.5 deg west, they use BISS encryption codes which change on a regular basis but they always hotly monitor input levels geographically and would simply increase encryption levels substantially if they suspect "foul play". So would be a big risk paying for new lnb/receiver and realignment for NO gaurentee of service....you pays your money......

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 am

how would they know whose using it if its not hooked up to the internet???

its being used now around europe and russia!!!

Its like the Canal + digi box that has wife to feed the encryption codes.

Every one knows its happening and its become a really alternative for its english channels.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 am

peteroldracer wrote:Just wondering if I have missed something - buy SmartTV, connect to FilmOn, view all their channels?
Would that not work?
Just thinking aloud here really....it seems the general consensus of opinion is that some way of accessing the BBC iPlayer (& ITV/Ch4/Ch5 equivalents) is preferable if possible. Is this possible on a Smart TV? Do they have adequate browsers?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:49 am

Hi , we originally had SKY as our main TV system changing to Freesat , is it possible to revert back to SKY if we buy another SKY box will we get the channels leaving the Freesat footprint . Will the position of the original dish be O.K.

allgram. :crazy:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:52 am

We did the Proxy server/iPlayer thing last night and during "The Voice" and to a lesser extent during the Rugby preceding it there was much buffering and speed was down to 1mb mas y manos from my normal 7 to 8mb. I have had mail from others with the same results.

Now my question is for Android box users. Were you affected in a similar way ? Just trying to evaluate a way to leap or not.

All was back to normal by midnight by the way.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

We watched The Voice on iPlayer (with SmartyDNS free trial) using my Android tablet connected via HDMI. No buffering at all, but the picture quality was not great. Not sure why - would an Android TV box or Chromecast be better?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:25 am

Lyric

Are you with Movistar? My download speeds were drastically reduced last night. I contacted them again via Movistar "chat" and it was eventually fixed.
Dave