Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks Sid, will check it out.
As an alternative to buying maybe a second hand Windows Netbook, I've been looking at Android boxes like this: http://tinyurl.com/ox97ke2
Is this what it appears to be? i.e. everything I can do on my Android tablet, but using the TV as the screen? If so, this seems to be a good solution - much less bulky than a netbook sat next to the TV.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm

I think you're right. These boxes are basically an Android tablet without a screen - they just use the TV as a monitor.

There are loads on the market, all with slightly different specs. I would not really know where to start in terms of selecting one as I am happy with a iPad and Apple TV.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Looks good to me. As long as it runs at least Android V4.0, which it does, then it should be OK.
The only thing you will miss, by using one of these as opposed to a netbook/ laptop, is a keyboard. Although wireless keyboards are available for these Android boxes.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Best one out there appears to be an Rokomagic MK902 with air mouse from geekbuyer or china gadgets

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Questions re iplayer
How soon after the program is aired does it become available for download ?

can I do simultaneous downloads ?

never used it you see

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Now trialing Sid's recommendation (SmartyDNS) since the 100mb free trial I found with Private Tunnel basically was just enough to check it works! I did, however, need it to install BBC iPlayer on my tablet. Think I'm getting a handle on all this :thumbup:

I've got a question too re: iPlayer - how come the program guide is showing local times? Currently watching BBC1 news live - the guide on my tablet shows the program start time as 7.30pm, which is weird, because it's only 6.55pm in the UK now!

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Wicksey

Here's a snippet from the BBC iplayer page. You'll need to download a programme called BBC iplayerdownloads. Here's the blurb and below that the URL.
What is BBC iPlayer Downloads?

BBC iPlayer Downloads is the new iPlayer download service for your computer.

BBC iPlayer Downloads replaces BBC iPlayer Desktop. Just like BBC iPlayer Desktop, you'll need to download the software to your computer. Once installed, you'll be able download programmes from iPlayer to your computer and watch offline. Downloaded programmes can be kept up to 30 days. Once you start to play a programme, you have up to 7 days before the download is deleted.

How do I install BBC iPlayer Downloads?

Selecting the download option on the iPlayer programme page will start the installation process; simply follow the on-screen prompts.

Note that during the installation process your browser will ask you to confirm that programme downloads will be used with the BBC iPlayer Downloads application. Please confirm (Firefox users may need to select BBC iPlayer Downloads via the ‘choose' button) and tick the box to allow your browser to remember these settings.

Further instructions can be found in the How do I install and uninstall BBC iPlayer Downloads? FAQ.
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... rdownloads
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Lyric,
"can I do simultaneous downloads ?"..........yes

A sure way of getting Expat Shield working..........

Start your Default Browser...............then start Expat Shield, once connected fire off BBC iPlayer TV

I usually use another Browser for this............you will not get any Advertisements.

Any problems like getting the "paid" for page in your Browser means that the Browser has been Hi-jacked(by Hotspot) and needs cleaning first........use Adwcleaner for this.

Any other problems please Post as it should work ok without any aggro............ 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks both, I have the proxy sorted as it comes free with my BB and works, I'll do some downloading later.
I'm thinking that a combination of an IPTV box and downloads with a bit of organisation is the probable solution.
I only have this laptop so things need thinking about.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 pm

I have read on Facebook (don't laugh) that someone has had a system installed by Satco from Puente don Manuel. It's a Technomate box and their dish was turned to face west. Apparently they are still getting quite a few channels, including all the BBC channels and ITV. Not sure about Ch 4 or 5. Anyone any idea what satellite that would be to the west? If it is a viable option would it work with a Humax box selected to non-Freesat mode!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 pm

I've just been told that there is new satellite being launched in October just for Southern Spain. Please don't anybody reply to this!!!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Intelsat 907 at 27.5 degs West, all signals encrypted by BISS and changing codes and encryttion method shortly so current codes wont work from March "apparently", so good luck with that.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 pm

First real test now, trying to watch BBC1 via FilmOn/iPad.....stop/start/buffer/hiccup/start again.....looks like it will have to be Benidorm or CanalSur!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 pm

peteroldracer wrote:First real test now, trying to watch BBC1 via FilmOn/iPad.....stop/start/buffer/hiccup/start again.....looks like it will have to be Benidorm or CanalSur!
I can see it getting worse. As more and more people access Filmon it will put a very heavy load on their servers and they only have so much capacity. I am sure you have heard of "denial of service attacks" where people take down websites by throwing multiple requests at them - this could be very similar.

It isn't necessarily a question of your connection speed but their ability to pump out the data.

I intend to use BBC iPlayer and download overnight when it won't be a problem, also the quality is better on a download if you have a borderline connection.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm

The ISPs must be scratching their heads wondering why there has been such a surge in use today

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:42 pm

I can't even play bridge online as the connection keeps dropping!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

satandpcguy wrote:For info, just received a report that a 1.8m /1.9m dish in Mojacar area of Almeria is receiving the BBC channels on Astra 2E.
Our friends in Turre have a 1.9m dish which was installed when they lost Channel 5 but they have lost the BBC channels now. Do they need to change anything or is is because they have a freeview box. We have a Sky+ box (not HD) and I am taking it round there tomorrow but I can't see how that will make any difference.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Sorry for a stupid question, El Cid, but how do you get iPlayer in Spain. I cannot get Expat Shield to work now?

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 am

ajtg1952 wrote:Sorry for a stupid question, El Cid, but how do you get iPlayer in Spain. I cannot get Expat Shield to work now?
If you use Zenmate (an add-on for Google Chrome) you can watch iPlayer but it won't allow you to download programmes.

For more info go to https://zenmate.io/home/

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:58 am

Not bothered about downloading, so am I wasting my time / money looking at VPNs / DNS? Could I just use Chrome with Zenmate on one of the aforementioned Android boxes?