Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Acen
Resident

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Is card sharing still going on?? I thought they stamped that out with the new cards.

Is it worth it as Id imaging the cards would have been changed regularly.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Acen wrote:
I can tell you for a fact if at any stage Gibraltar was going to lose its BBC sat connection then they would have done something about it by now, and the local government would have made provisions.

The BBC would have to consult the foreign and commonwealth office if they were going to "cut off" a british dependancy, and essentially they would not be allowed to.
I am afraid that is complete rubbish. The only reason Gib has had a signal for the last few years is because there was completely unexpected overspill from the satellite that favoured south west Spain.

The BBC is not obliged to provide UK BBC signals in any form to Gibraltar. They are only obliged to provide them to UK licence fee payers and that doesn't include anywhere outside the UK.

Sid

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 pm

El Cid wrote:It's the BBC test transmission that they are reporting on.

Sid
What are the settings for the test transmission ?

Thanks
Last edited by 10RDan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Acen wrote:Is card sharing still going on?? I thought they stamped that out with the new cards.

Is it worth it as Id imaging the cards would have been changed regularly.
Yes it's still going on. The current Sky cards have been around for a long time and haven't changed. The only way to stop card sharing is to change the codes and that would only last a short time before the card sharing companies fixed it.

Anyway, that's irrelevant to the current problem as it doesn't affect the FTA channels that we are going to lose as they are not encrypted.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

10RDan wrote:What are the re settings for the test transmission ?
11023H 2/3 23000 dvBs2 8psk

Sid

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Sid

FYI. The BBC have an obligation to the Channel Islands, which is not covered by UK legislation as a result people in Alderney for example do not bother to pay for the TV licence.

I dont think the BBC would send a detector tractor to Sark LOL.

There is no way the BBC will stop being picked up down here.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Acen wrote: There is no way the BBC will stop being picked up down here.
Absolutely true but have you tried bolting a 3m dish to the side of an apartment?

They pay the BBC licence fee in the Channel Islands - do they in Gib?

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm

The Channel Islands are part of the United Kingdom - so signals have to be made available there. They have, like mentioned, simply had the advantage of a "generous" signal overspill.

Gibralter is NOT part of the UK - it is a British overseas territory, which is not part of the United Kingdom, and no license fee / tax. So no obligation for the UK broadcasters to provide signals there...in the same way the falkland islands are a BOT, but the UK broadcasters are not obligated to send signals there. Althought they do have their own services that do provide UK TV programmes.

re cardsharing: it is always a battle between the broadcaters and sharers as to who stays in front. Maybethe next sky card swap may help, but also, if you look on a sky+hd box (with latest software) , there is a new line of system details - receiver ID number...perhaps that has something to do with future anticardsharing activites....?

A few hints / tips:

Here, were have installed 1.8m onto walls - ideally concrete walls, and not red brick walls.
2.4s are simply too much for walls.

Ideally a nice sheltered flat space - if going on a terrace, make sure the concrete base can be supported by the concrete supporting beams.

Make sure any concrete support is left to dry for several days before installing dishes and supports to it. DO NOT use quick dry cement - it simply turns to clay and dust in a short time.

Also, avoid "fortecstar" petal dishes - they may be cheap, but they do not perform as good as solid single peice dishes. In fact another installer suggested a 2.4m fortecstar panel dish performed worse than a 1.4m solid dish!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I didn't think the channel islands were part of the UK :? ....stand to be corrected though.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm

El Cid wrote:

Sid
From what I understand, from this thread, they are HD test transmissions. So, presumably, because I don't have a HD box I won't receive them anyway ??

Cheers

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 pm

wiki:
"The Crown dependencies are self-governing possessions of the British Crown, as opposed to the overseas territories of the United Kingdom. They comprise the Channel Islands (the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey in the English Channel) and the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea. Being independently administered jurisdictions, none forms part of the United Kingdom nor of the European Union."
Which does say they are not part of the UK....so you are correct...in a way, as
"Acts of the British Parliament do not usually apply to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, unless explicitly stated. UK legislation does not ordinarily extend to them without their consent. When deemed advisable, Acts of Parliament may be extended to the Islands by means of an Order in Council (thus giving the UK Government some responsibility for good governance in the islands). An example of this was the Television Act 1954, which was extended to the Channel Islands, so as to create a local ITV franchise, known as Channel Television."
says they can operate with UK "rules" and as mentioned are part of the UK TV Act, and have to pay the license fee.

Soits a bit like the EU where countries can opt in an out of EU laws and rules as they see fit (eg the euro!)

10RDan wrote:From what I understand, from this thread, they are HD test transmissions. So, presumably, because I don't have a HD box I won't receive them anyway ??
Correct. This transpodner / frequency is configured as a HD transponder / frequency - so you need a HD box to be able to receive the signals.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:49 pm

The channel islands are part of the bristish Isles. Not the UK.

The United kindom is GB and NI, which Im sure everone knows.

Gib is a crown dependant (what was called a colony back in old money).

I think we are worring about nothing. The BBC will continue strong in these parts.

The BBC are filming as i type in Gib now!!!! Looking for extras if anyones interested.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Who do you think enforces the licence fee in the channel island???

Do you think people get procecuted in the courts in the island???

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I didn't think the channel islands were part of the UK :? ....stand to be corrected though.
they are not and you are correct

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 pm

El Cid wrote:

Sid
Not looking good in Bilbao. I'm not getting anything on that frequency using a metre dish.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm

El Cid wrote:
Acen wrote: There is no way the BBC will stop being picked up down here.
Absolutely true but have you tried bolting a 3m dish to the side of an apartment?

They pay the BBC licence fee in the Channel Islands - do they in Gib?

Sid
Sid in gib they split one sky subscription between an entire estate, plus premium spanish and arab sport channels. Its fed via cable through Gib Sat, which essentially is pirated sat channels via digital cable.

100% legal down here and in glorious HD.

Cheap as patatas fritas too. the military house get BFBS various channel on top of that as well.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Repeat of Betis V RM currently showing on arab sports channel!!! :wtf:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 pm

What is the main reason for the change over by the way?. Have the existing sats reached their shelf life or is it purely to scupper non-UK viewing. Also when this switch over comes...........will there be a break in UK coverage for a moment or two............or will it be seamless?.............I take it the same sats do the UK as well.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:56 pm

The old Astra sat 2D came to the end of its life and was replaced with a temporary alternative 1N which was originally intended to go to a position at 19.2E.

Astra 2F is a permanent replacement and should be there for about 12 years which I think is the normal lifespan. Once the channels are transferred 1N will be off to its new permanent position.

It is intended to carry pan European signals which is why we had much better reception on it than 2D. 2D was intended to have a narrow UK beam but for reasons which have never been explained, had a lot of overspill particularly in south west Spain but not so good in eastern Spain.

It looks like 2F will have a more efficient spot beam although at the moment it appears to have some overspill in a NW to SE direction. In other words you get a good signal on the Costa Blanca down to Murcia but rubbish in western Andalucia and the Canaries and YES ALSO IN GIB (for Acen's information).

The Guy will correct me if I'm wrong.

No, the changeover should not be noticeable as it is usually done in the very early hours on the morning. All we will know about it is a blank screen.

Sid

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Is BBC HD available right now????

It was fine last night. Im not sure what the problem is. If they transfer every channel onto 2F we will still get them down here.

ace