Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I agree with most of the above comments......however when the ad says "Receives BBC1,2 etc. and then fails to deliver I can see why this chap may become a bit miffed 3 months into owning it if the screens go blank :lol:

After all, he never mauled about and fitted one himself................he called an expert in for peace of mind :idea:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

You just said that he had a dish fitted. From the ad you mention is sounds more like he bought the whole system including a receiver.

That could make a difference.

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:00 pm

El Cid wrote:If it does go pear shaped in the next few days there is going to be a lot of "wailing and gnashing of teeth" as they say!

Sid
What amazes me about this whole scenario is how few people, currently watching Freeview, know about this pending change.

I for one will be sorely disappointed as I do watch a lot of television.

One question please, I have been told that Expat Shield carries a high risk of viruses? I should add that it was my wife who heard this and she has insisted that I remove it from our main computer.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Expat shield doesn't have viruses, It has annoying adds but if you use chrome with add block, then they can be avoided.
Most of the time I have it switched off but sometimes after using it, my wife will start browsing with IE and get problems.
I still think it's the best way using a computer. The quality is decent on a large, TV both with catchup and live TV.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi ajtg1952,
The way to use Expatshield..........

Have IE "whatever" as default Browser use this when you fire up Expatshield, once it has connected i.e the IP has changed close this Browser.

Use Firefox , Palemoon ..with adblock plus.......as the Browser that goes to iPlayer website.

Of my many "clients" using this not one has reported any virus problems..........

I also use it from time to time..no problems.

If you really love IE then use another Browser as default to start Expatshield, and IE to run up iPlayer, I've not tried this combination.

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Can you 'stream' two different channels from the same internet connection ?
I.E. if the wife, who already watches tv on her computer , is viewing can I watch something else streamed to the main tv via my computer ?
Todos somos Lorca.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi,
Yes but you will need some Bandwidth .........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm

11023H 2/3 23000 dvBs2 8psk

nothing found on a Humax receiver in Northern Almería using a 1.3m dish.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm

gus-lopez wrote:Can you 'stream' two different channels from the same internet connection ?
I.E. if the wife, who already watches tv on her computer , is viewing can I watch something else streamed to the main tv via my computer ?
It's actually possible on one computer. you plug your HDMI cable into the TV, then you need extend the desktop over the two screens. one browser can be in full screen on the TV and the other on the laptop screen.
I do it using WIDI, without cables, which I discovered on this forum. It's useful when I want to watch two football matches at the same time.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 am

To check on a Humax box do those setting have to be 100% exact or can the HZ vary?

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:37 am

HKM wrote:To check on a Humax box do those setting have to be 100% exact or can the HZ vary?
Frequencies have a bit of a range either side ...so punching in something like 11016 to 11030 should bring up the same channels, so no it does not have to be exact but it helps to have the best / maximum / "official" frequency...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 am

Well when I type all of that in I get nothing no channels, no quality, no strength! so no good!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 am

I had the same - did the search and "No channels found".

There was a report this morning from Estepona - no signal on a 2m dish.

Sid

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 pm

well I emailed my installer yesterday about this and he said he has now stopped installing freesat until he knows for sure whats happening but not looking to good for costa del sol-as I have sky at least I will get channels-maybe not the ones I like though :thumbdown: hes at [email protected]

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 am

Am I missing something here? If the present satellite is knacked, why will Sky continue to use it, and if it isn't, why are the Freesat channels moving from it?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 am

I think the "present" one has replaced the 2 "knacked" ones.............but the "present" one is now going to be replaced by the new 2F which has a small covering beam, the "present" one has other tasks to do......excuse my basic terms :P

PS The new 2G is reported to cover Africa.............wouldn't this do the job for southern Spain?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

Devils Advocate wrote:I think the "present" one has replaced the 2 "knacked" ones.............but the "present" one is now going to be replaced by the new 2F which has a small covering beam, the "present" one has other tasks to do......excuse my basic terms :P

PS The new 2G is reported to cover Africa.............wouldn't this do the job for southern Spain?
Possibly but it will only do you any good if you like watching African TV!

The new satellite (2F) also has an African beam which I understand is being tested at the moment for reception in West Africa but again that wont be any use to us.

To answer Peters question, Astra 2D carried the Freesat channels, the Sky channels are on Astra 2A and 2B plus some on another satellite. 2D had to be replaced early but they hadn't got the true replacement (2F) available at that time so they "borrowed" one (1N) that was ready but was planned originally to go on line at 19E for some European channels.

So they put 1N in place of 2D as a temporary replacement and as it was designed as a pan European satellite we got the benefit of very good reception. The true replacement 2F is now in place and 1N can move across to its original location.

The reason we now have the reception problem is that 2F was designed as a narrow beam satellite centred on the UK. The old 2D that we were using for a few years and gave us good reception was designed as a narrow beam satellite but for some unexplained reason had a very wide footprint, especially in the south west of Spain. It was much tighter in the east which is why many users on the Costa Blanca had to use 2.4m dishes when we down here got away with only 1.3m

Essentially we have all got used to getting UK TV without much hassle and expense but it was never intended that that should be the case. What we have now is what we should have had years ago but we just got lucky. Sadly the luck seems to have run out!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Sid - that is errr a little clearer!
I am astonished that so little has been said about this - except of course here on A.com. The satmen are still advertising, there is nothing in the free Brit press, yet surely this will put yet more folk out of work as well as reducing the quality of life for ex-pats here on the Costas? It would seem to be in everyone's interest to restore the status quo, and maybe legitimise it, so the broadcasters can get some much-needed money and we can keep better informed than is possible with the local television, even if the language is not a problem.
Although there will be some who adopt a high and mighty attitude about never watching UK television, I frankly disbelieve them, and would suggest that even they will be getting grief from their spouses. It is yet one more reason not to come and live here, and even to add to the reasons to consider returning to the UK. Holidaymakers used to keeping up with their usual viewing in hotels and apartments will miss it - or decide that they may as well go further afield for their jollies.
It is fair to say that we should not have had it, but it will come harder than many realise to suddenly lose it.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm

I expect some holidaymakers will have already booked their villas and apartments for next year and possibly sorted them by the fact of having UK satellite TV. Could cause problems too!!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Although there will be some who adopt a high and mighty attitude about never watching UK television, I frankly disbelieve them
I don't have a satellite so I for one don't watch UKTV. I do watch it of course when back in the UK
Dave