Kindle or tablet

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Kindle or tablet

Postby olive » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 pm

I am considering buying the OH a Kindle Fire for xmas. Primary use will be for reading downloaded books, like James Patterson, indoors(i.e. not out in the sun). Secondary use might be to access Emails or the web when out and about.

We aren't techies and don't need apps, mobile phones etc. Can you download the books via your Internet connection or solely by the devices conectivity?

Anything I should know before making a pretty big £99 leap into the unknown (never even seen one in real life) and buying from Amazon UK? It would be used at least 90% of the time here in Spain.

critter
Tourist

Re: Kindle or tablet

Postby critter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm

I am running the 3G version of the kindle with keyboard and have had no problems at all
The 3G is gratis via amazon for downloads which is rapid in the Antequera area
If you have a smartphone and download the kindle app the two devices sync together
You can also store your books in the cloud freeing up the devices memory
Sounds complicated but there is loads of support out there if you need it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

The Google Nexus 7 is a much better device if you are looking for a cheap tablet judging by all the reviews.

If you want a basic e-reader the new Kindle Paperwhite is the best.

The Fire and the Nexus are very different compared to the Paperwhite as they have all the functions of a full blown tablet. As a versatile tablet the Nexus knocks spots off the Fire and Fire HD. The basic Kindle Fire is not a good e-reader compared to the Paperwhite.

Amazon see it as a device to download their videos rather than books.

It can't be selling well as they reduced it by £30 over the weekend for a limited period.

You can access email and the web on the basic Paperwhite with a WiFi connection.

Don't waste you're money on the 3G version unless you want to download books in the desert somewhere - you can always find a WiFi connection somewhere or download at home before you go on your travels.

Sid

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 am

El Cid wrote:Don't waste you're money on the 3G version unless you want to download books in the desert somewhere - you can always find a WiFi connection somewhere or download at home before you go on your travels.

Sid
I disagree. I have the 3G touch version and have found it invaluable. Why look for a free wifi point to download a book when, for not much more on the initial purchase, you can download anywhere you want. I am considering purchasing the Paperwhite 3G for my mother because she does not have computer or internet facilities at home.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:13 am

Yes but if you have WiFi at home it seems a pointless extra.

Also I wouldn't call a nearly 60% increase in price "not much more on the initial purchase".
Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 am

[quote="El Cid"]Yes but if you have WiFi at home it seems a pointless extra.

Also I wouldn't call a nearly 60% increase in price "not much more on the initial purchase".
Sid[/quote]

I agree, can't really see the point of wanting to download a book "on the move". My wife always has a host of books on hers, nearly all free, she's hardly going to be desperate to download one "on the move". Like you say, just use your own wifi at home, or lots of free wifi if you ever were desperate enough to need one whilst away from home. A tablet with the kindle app will also enable you to read the books (much better back lit) then you have the best of both worlds.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am

When did you become all Techie Frank?........you'll be trading your radiogramme in for an Ipod next :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 am

Totally of topic .....but.........

I would like to see Frank get back the ability to do the "quotes" correctly. Makes for tidier(Orderly and neat in appearance) reading.

He has served his time.......must be years since they(Mods) locked him out ............ :shock:

Frank... man of the word (español) and now is seems the Tablet........ :thumbup:

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

[quote="Devils Advocate"]When did you become all Techie Frank?........you'll be trading your radiogramme in for an Ipod next :mrgreen:[/quote]
Hey, I trained in electronics! :lol: Long time ago mind, struggle to wire a 3 pin plug nowadays! I have tablet, half the price of an ipad but does everything an ipad does as far as I can see. And at least it has a USB connection. :thumbup: Anyway, off to listen to the wireless now!
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am

[quote="Enrique"]Totally of topic .....but.........

I would like to see Frank get back the ability to do the "quotes" correctly. Makes for tidier(Orderly and neat in appearance) reading.

He has served his time.......must be years since they(Mods) locked him out ............ :shock:

Frank... man of the word (español) and now is seems the Tablet........ :thumbup:

:D[/quote]
I don't really know what that quote thing is all about Enrique. Surprising as it might seem, I can't remember ever being banned, sometimes that quote thingy works, some times it doesn't. I thought it might be my browser, but it's the same in all of them. It worked last week in this quote, http://tinyurl.com/cznc7vm
Not that it bothers me mind, I haven't really looked into why it's not working!
Regards, Frank

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 pm

I've asked the techies if they can fix it for you Frank.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm

My wife wanted a 'kindle' since all her friends had one for reading books. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab. so I convinced her to get a Nexus 7 from Google. She hasnt looked back since. The number of times she has said she is glad she bought a tablet is countless now.

Now her friends, with a kindle, are getting a tablet for Christmas

The two I would reccommend you consider are
Google Nexus 7
Kindle Fire HD

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Absolutely. I have just swapped my wife's Kindle for an iPad Mini - it's so much better unless you want to read in bright sunlight.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

[quote="El Cid"]I've asked the techies if they can fix it for you Frank.

Sid[/quote]
Cheers, Sid.
Regards, Frank