Broadband Usage

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Broadband Usage

Postby katy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I wonder if anyone can explain why my usage has almost doubled?

I am with BT in the UK and my plan provides 10g per month. I didn't realise I had a limit as in almost 2 years have never gone over. This January I have, 10,4g, only a bit but I have checked my ave. usage and it is 4.7g per month. Not a big deal as the first month over is free and then it's still cheap, but just curious

I don't understand why the sudden surge as we were on holiday for 11 days :? My Grandson stayed for a weekend and he did say he had watched a film on his pad, could it be that :think: I also lost my google toolbar and reinstalled it. Every day I switch on I get a window requesting permisson to update from google. The first few days I clicked ok. but on my google homepage I noticed it was saying "uploading" for a long time so I haven't allowed it since.

Anyone have any ideas?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Broadband Usage

Postby frank » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd be looking to blame grandson! :D See what next month brings, bet it's down. Also I've disabled Google Updater.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:17 pm

I wonder if anyone can explain why my usage has almost doubled?
Far too many posts on A dot com perchance? :lol:
Dave

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm

If you logon to your BT account - there is an option there to check your Broadband usage. If you do it regularly, you will get a better idea as to what your normal usage is.

Last week, I used 3Gb in two hours just watching a single football match. Admittedly, it was a high quality HD stream, but it just shows you that a monthly limit of 10Gb is not that much. I pay BT a couple of quid more each month for a 40Gb limit, which is fine for my needs.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

It's interesting that in Spain, notwithstanding all the moans about slow ADSL none of the providers seem to impose a cap on downloads.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Pros and cons. It never cuts out every day at 3pm (ish) and only costs about £13 plus the first 6 months were free! I think it only costs about £5 for more G. In Spain I paid 39.90 plus IVA although it now seems more competitive.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Ditch BT and go SKY or Virgin............nice British call centres too :thumbup: . We got p1ssed off with BT when bills become unexplicable, and nobody to ask why to who spoke English :? ...chase them!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:02 am

I have already decided to move as I had a run in with BT Mumbai :wtf: When we moved house I was charged £30 for cancellation and I shouldn't have been...it was like something out of Kafka :crazy: I think they read from a card and they have no logic. The more I rang the more complicated it got. :twisted: I was getting e-mails saying my internet would be on next week almost daily. I had actually been online from day one.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 am

BT has taken away its usage caps AND reduced its charges ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/b ... rices.html

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am

Hi ,

"BT has taken away its usage caps AND reduced its charges ...."

Not strictly true across the whole package setup.......don't want to get Katy excited.... :D

"BT will continue to sell its basic, limited broadband, which costs £13 a month. "

The above package I should guess Katy is using.

Katy:: If your "estate" isn't to deep into the Farnham countryside you may have Virgin cable.. I have a package with them......currently 10MB (Unlimited) going to 30MB later this year and Telephone for circa £14/month.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.