Kindle or other

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kindle or other

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm

True but most 20 year olds want something with some street cred - not a cheapo Chinese import that will definitely not impress their mates even though it may be just as good as an iPad!

Sad but true!

Leave the good deals to the pensioners who don't worry about street cred and prefer value for money!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:She'd probably appreciate a ten incher.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy- ... B0080OYLM6
Possibly better for you but most ladies prefer something that they can put into a handbag and the minis are almost half the weight and almost as useful unless you really want a bigger screen.

The 7" tablets are selling really fast.

We have both sizes of iPad and it really is a toss up which is best.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm

not a cheapo Chinese import
Get a cheapo Chinese import and stick a Samsung sticker on the top.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Mowser wrote:
not a cheapo Chinese import
Get a cheapo Chinese import and stick a Samsung sticker on the top.
That won't wash with a savvy 20 year old and her friends will certainly spot it!

I tried that many years ago with my son and a pair of Nike look alike trainers!

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:05 pm

My wife has the Apple mini Ipad. It's the size that she likes because it fits very easily into her handbag.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 pm

[quote="El Cid"]True but most 20 year olds want something with some street cred - not a cheapo Chinese import that will definitely not impress their mates even though it may be just as good as an iPad!

Sad but true!

Leave the good deals to the pensioners who don't worry about street cred and prefer value for money!

Sid[/quote]

True, I don't know what it is with people that must have Apple, or whatever designer label is in vogue. Never been a "dedicated follower of fashion" simply do my homework and select something on how it performs, not what label is stuck on it. I bought this tablet some time ago, stuck a 32GB card in it, and never regretted the purchase. Cost me around £200, my son had a play with it and ordered one for himself, he was impressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIbOm5nLYY
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Love them or hate them,they are really good. My wifes Ipad is a marvel to use,so good in fact that I'm going to buy one for myself.I thought I'd wait for the next generation.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:42 pm

The unique advantage of Apple products is what the media call the Apple "Eco system".

What that means that a family who have a number of Apple products can synchronise them and share contacts, calendars, documents and more across all the Apple devices. A photo taken on one device appears on another within seconds . A phone number change is repeated instantly.

Of course this is irrelevant if you have just one device but can be a game changer if you have multiple devices.

I started with an iPad a year ago and then bought a second iPad mini for my wife in October when it came out. It was then that I realised the benefits of the Apple Eco system. An iPhone 5 quickly followed and the Windows PC is being pensioned off next week and being replaced by a 27" iMac.

Of course there is an Apple TV included so that all media can be shared to the HD TV and photos and videos also appear on the TV plus anything on any of the devices can be mirrored to the TV. Including streamed TV. Which will be handy when the Freesat channels go away later this year.

Such is progress! (Admittedly at quite a high price).

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 pm

[quote="El Cid"]The unique advantage of Apple products is what the media call the Apple "Eco system".

What that means that a family who have a number of Apple products can synchronise them and share contacts, calendars, documents and more across all the Apple devices. A photo taken on one device appears on another within seconds . A phone number change is repeated instantly.

Of course this is irrelevant if you have just one device but can be a game changer if you have multiple devices.

I started with an iPad a year ago and then bought a second iPad mini for my wife in October when it came out. It was then that I realised the benefits of the Apple Eco system. An iPhone 5 quickly followed and the Windows PC is being pensioned off next week and being replaced by a 27" iMac.

Of course there is an Apple TV included so that all media can be shared to the HD TV and photos and videos also appear on the TV plus anything on any of the devices can be mirrored to the TV. Including streamed TV. Which will be handy when the Freesat channels go away later this year.

Such is progress! (Admittedly at quite a high price).

Sid[/quote]

The only thing about Apple that I admire, is it´s a great piece of marketing, you´re sucked in to buy more of their products. :lolno: And Apple converts are worse than "Born Again Christians", they seem to think us luddites need converting too. Apple owners believe they are a technological step above the rest of us, we´re luddites not buying into the brand. :lolno: Both my son and DIL are converts, my other son who works with computers all day, every day, earns his living from IT, owns nothing with Apple on it.
Regards, Frank

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I have to agree with Sid,
I've always been a PC man,and I've just bought a Sony all in one Windows 8 tablet PC, plenty of power but it doesn't have the smoothness of the Ipad and I'm sort of wishing I had gone for a IMac.There are plenty of graphic designers who swear by them.
As Sid says integration is the name of the game and Apple TV has given my old Ipod a new lease of life. There's no need for satellite TV and all the cables that go with it.It has been really useful in my bedroom.
I'm not sure I can agree that they are all marketing,you could actually say all top ones are a little guilty of that. They are good and do what they are suppose to do fast and really well.The one criticism I have is the price of their products.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

markwilding wrote:... I'm sort of wishing I had gone for a IMac.There are plenty of graphic designers who swear by them....
By & large graphic designer use Apple because in the very early days they had more advanced graphics capability. When Windows 1995 came in with its dropdown menus & no need to know dos, there was very little difference, but the Apples had a 'snob' value, so it became self perpetuating, because 'no decent graphic designer would use anything else', so if you broke the mould, you weren't taken seriously.

Actually, Windows can do anything a Mac can do - you just need the right software.... :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:15 am

chrissiehope wrote:By & large graphic designer use Apple because in the very early days they had more advanced graphics capability. When Windows 1995 came in with its dropdown menus & no need to know dos, there was very little difference, but the Apples had a 'snob' value, so it became self perpetuating, because 'no decent graphic designer would use anything else', so if you broke the mould, you weren't taken seriously.

Actually, Windows can do anything a Mac can do - you just need the right software.... :D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: There were thousands of 'Mac' fans that bought for the snob value and the myth that they couldn't catch a virus. :lol: :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 am

frank wrote: And Apple converts are worse than "Born Again Christians", they seem to think us luddites need converting too. Apple owners believe they are a technological step above the rest of us, we´re luddites not buying into the brand.
I know what you mean Frank but I am not one of those. Technologically they are all the same bits of electronics under the skin. I worked for IBM for most of my working life and have always been exposed to the latest technology so I still like to have some decent toys!

Personally I like the Samsung range of products but I think Apple has the edge when it comes to "connectivity". Of course Samsung aren't cheap either. I think the best value at the moment are the Nexus products. Their tablets are excellent and well priced and the Nexus 4 phone is a winner at the price - half that of Samsung and Apple.

Like you I can't stand the Born Again Apple "fanboys" but equally I can't stand the opposite group who go to great lengths to knock the products.

Everyone has a choice - I chose Apple - others will choose Android devices - so long as you end up happy with your choice what's the point of arguing about it.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 am

chrissiehope wrote:
Absolutely! But of course you can now run Windows on a Mac.

I intend to put Windows 8 on the Mac just to see how it runs. That should be interesting.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 am

[quote="El Cid"]
Everyone has a choice - I chose Apple - others will choose Android devices - so long as you end up happy with your choice what's the point of arguing about it.

Sid[/quote]

Indeed, but nobody is arguing, simply stating their different reasons for buying the gear they use. If I thought buying an Apple would give me a huge technical leap forward that PC's cannot provide, I'd have one tomorrow. As I said, it's great marketing, put much the same ingredients in a pretty box and people will buy it. I know several people (women, I'm afraid :lol: ) that have one and they are hardly capable of logging on, they've bought it because they can and "it looks nice". :lolno: Anyway, surprised nobody hasn't complained this has little to do with Kindles! :lol:
Regards, Frank

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 am

Frank
What's happened to your quote button?
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 am

frank wrote: Anyway, surprised nobody hasn't complained this has little to do with Kindles! :lol:
It does say "or other". An iMac is just a big Kindle really :lol: :lol:

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 am

[quote="Mowser"]Frank
What's happened to your quote button?[/quote]
Ni p u t a idea! :lol: Sometimes it's OK, other times it's not, no idea why. :wink: Sid has PM 'd me before to say the boffins have had a look at the problem, but like the quote problem, they're stumped! Perhaps you could pop down and sort it out for them! :thumbup:
Regards, Frank

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 am

Perhaps you could pop down and sort it out for them!
As far as computer are concerned I'm as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
Dave

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:31 am

I have a touch screen Kindle 3G which I loved apart from the lack of clarity on the screen when outside in the sun. Then hubby indulged me in an iPad 2 last xmas which has the kindle app on. Apart from the battery difference I find it easier to read on the iPad. So if you do pursue the kindle I would suggest the paperwhite for screen quality.

I don't buy products because they are 'pretty' or for a designer label. I have a Samsung something or other phone bought last March which I detest and will soon be changing it to something else. Never been an Apple or anything else lover but my iPad is excellent. I am sure other tablets half the price are also excellent but I have always gone by the old adage 'you get what you pay for' - and it is very often when something goes wrong that you find out!

I assume you have checked to see what she has already got? Kids these days seem to be attached to phones, tablets and everything else as soon as they leave the cradle.

I would also listen to the advice given about warranty if bought in this country and she resides in the UK.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.