Strange phone calls and odd number

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Trooperman
Resident

Strange phone calls and odd number

Postby Trooperman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Does this number mean anything to the forum?

At 4.30 each day the phone rings. I answered in once to be met with silence although the line appeared to be open. Since then I haven't bothered to pick up the phone.
I googled the number to find that others are reporting it as spam.

Does anyone know why this happens?

If I fail to answer, what possible benefit can accrue to the owner of the number?....or is it a premium line that somehow charges me?

Any wisdom from the forum?????
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Strange phone calls and odd number

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi Trooperman.
When I last looked in to this.................it was a sales call from Telefonica (now re-branded as Movistar)

If you pickup on first ring you will most likely get someone talking to you, if you leave it for a few rings they have moved on .

If you have caller ID just let it ring..............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:32 pm

I also had that number, I think, at the same time every day, 4.30. I let it ring and did not answer a few times and it seems to have given up.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 pm

If I get a call from a number I don't recognise, I Google it.
It often will say who makes the calls.
If it is important they will call you! I never call them back.

If you call a number you don't recognise, you might find yourself being signed up to chargeable texts.
There's a lot of criminals out there.. :thumbdown:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I believe most of these type of calls are computer initiated.
The computer selects a number and dials it, if you answer and there is a person on the other end free to offer you "the chance of a lifetime/ offer not to be missed/ courtesy call or whatever" they will speak to you, or else you just get silence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Predictive diallers. They dial your number. IF you answer and IF they have an agent available to speak to you you get connected. If not they are now so clever that the number and the time of day you answer is stored for another time. So expect a repeat call another day at the same time until you get a successful connection. Ain't technology great!

We get monkeys calling offering us a great deal on broadband. I let them go through their spiel and then ask will they be putting fibre or copper to our house in the deep campo.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 am

If you get connected to a person just put the phone down and leave it for 5 minutes,return to phone and hang up! :twisted:
It's their time being wasted.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I've also been getting calls from a 913 tel. no. trying to sell me a television channel subscription. Was getting calls 3-4 times per week and I kept asking them to remove me from their list. Last time they rang (over a week now) I asked them to wait a moment and put the phone next to the TV, turned it up and went and did some housework, lol!!
Also had an automated call from a 932 tel.no. which is apparently for insurance. Rang 4 or 5 times in one day but I didn't pick it up. When I eventually did, it was an automated message. I put it down mid message and not been called back since. If you put the numbers into a google search, you will often find information about the number and reports (although usually in Spanish) about people's experiences.