Kindle

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Kindle

Postby Mariacristina » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:00 pm

I have just been given a Kindle as a present. It was bought in the UK. I have tried to fire it up. I have registered with Amazon and have a password for that. I have entered my WiFi identification and tried both the password letter/number combinations that were in the letters I had from movistar when I first had the router. The Kindle just tells me that the password is not correct and I do not know what else to try. I have tried the Kindle support site on the internet but it just repeats what the kindle has already told me to do. My technology knowhow is pretty basic. Any ideas please?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kindle

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi Mariacristina,
Are you using the correct case (upper/lower) on the Password .......... :?:

A video on connecting...............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... 80#connect
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Have you registered your Kindle with amazon.co.uk, or amazon.es or even amazon.com .... there are restrictions because of copyright differences in the various countries? So I understand that you have to register it in spain (it used to be with .com but when the .es got going they changed the requirement from "worldwide" with .com, to "spain" with .es .... which is a real pain because the range of english books is not as good and the prices aren't always as good either!!) :( When the change came in, I reregistered mine with amazon.es with little difficulty, and had no probs connecting it to our wifi. :angel:
As Enrique says it is very important that the code you put in is exactly as on your wifi paperwork! Our router actually has a ticket on it with the necessary code printed on it ... does yours?
Hope you get your Kindle going soon and enjoy it as much as I have mine! :thumbup:

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I have looked at the video link but it shows a page with "buttons" that don't appear on my screen.

I really am a bit dim with anything but very basic technology.

I registered with Amazon but have no idea whether it was .com or UK.

I was very careful about upper and lower case letters and I have two different passwords from movistar on two different letters. I have tried them both. Neither is the same as the "clave" on the ticket on the bottom of the router. That has millions of letters on it!

Sorry to be so pathetic about this. I appreciate the fact that you have both tried to help.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi,
How are you connecting your computer to the wireless router, and what version of Windows is it.

Windows 7 can easily show the "passphrase" for the Router.

Please PM me your village name......I may be allowed out to do a house call........ 8)

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 am

connecting your kindle to the WiFi isn't a registration problem .. its a router problem.

Your kindle should 'See' the router, all you need then is your routers password or code. NOT the connection code of the router from telefonica network.
On your PC .. enter your router by using the address 192.168.1.1, in which ever internet explorer program you have chosen, with the password of 1234 or admin ... then you can change YOUR network router password.

Then make a note of it somewhere secure

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:34 am

Gasman wrote: So I understand that you have to register it in spain (it used to be with .com but when the .es got going they changed the requirement from "worldwide" with .com, to "spain" with .es .... which is a real pain because the range of english books is not as good and the prices aren't always as good either!!)
If you buy a Kindle in Spain your Kindle account will automatically be registered for purchases on the Spanish site.

You can easily change that to the UK site by going to your Amazon Spain account and go to Gestionar mi Kindle, Configuracion de Pais and change it to the UK.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Mariacristina wrote:I have just been given a Kindle as a present. It was bought in the UK. I have tried to fire it up. I have registered with Amazon and have a password for that. I have entered my WiFi identification and tried both the password letter/number combinations that were in the letters I had from movistar when I first had the router. The Kindle just tells me that the password is not correct...
The password for your Movistar router is printed on the base of your router, after Clave. It will be a mixture of numbers and letters. Copy that and enter it in your kindle.

Your router ID is probably WLAN_[the last two letters of your Clave]
Brian.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Many thanks for the information. I am going to have a cool drink and a cold shower and will try to make sense of this tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.

Enrique: Private message sent.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:55 pm

I want to reiterate my thanks to everyone who tried to help and also to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Enrique. He has been exceptionally kind, has sorted out my Kindle, loaded some books onto it for me, shown me some amazing things on my computer that I didn't know were there and, somehow, put his magic influence on my very basic mobile phone which wasn't working before he looked at it and now works fine.

I also discovered that he has an amazing culinary skill! What a guy!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:16 pm

We do have some special people here and how lovely of Enrique to come and see you to help with your Kindle, Mariacristina. Warms me cockles! And a bonus if he is a dab hand in the kitchen as well as being a techy whizz :thumbup:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 am

Lots of free .mobi (Kindle format) files on torrents, (TPB for instance) plus .epub. Convert with free app -Calibre eBook manager.
I don't buy ebooks from Amazon, but have a decent number of titles to read, just not current best sellers usually.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am

Some light reading for the Kindle community......... :D

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... for-kindle

And this one..........need a few life times to read all theses ...........

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks, ElCid and Enrique - I will be widening my horizons with better accessibility to the Kindle compatible books - ta! :thumbup:

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

pigs-might-fly wrote: Convert with free app -Calibre eBook manager.
Useful to change to many different formats.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows