The Big Switch Off

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TerryC
Resident

The Big Switch Off

Postby TerryC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:36 am

It appears that at 19.40 yesterday evening we finally lost British TV. I presume we are not the only ones. We switched to Spanish TV watched through an arial into the back of the TV. Despite setting Audio and subtitle to English all the English language films and programmes were in Spanish, is there a solution to this please?

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: The Big Switch Off

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 am

No big switch off yet, as the new satellite has not even been launched yet - which is around the 15-17th September. Even then they have a few weeks of tests before it becomes operational.

And the signals from the satellite are still there... so any reception problems are at your end...

As for English on TDT - only one or two channels use the word" English" on them - Disney and Discovery I think.
All others use a number of different "tags" for the second audio language - like DOS< MUL, QAA, VO, - simply because they broadcast programmes from a number of countries, not just us and UK! So if you set the TV to look for "English" audio, then if the channel is using one of these other tags, it will not get English audio!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:45 am

Definitely a problem with your equipment Terry, no problems here and as satandpcguy says nothing likely to happen until Oct/Nov
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 am

There were some huge thunderstorms around yesterday evening. All you need is a thundercloud full of rain between you and the satellite to blank the signal entirely.

That is almost certainly the cause of your problem.

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 am

I cannot answer the princible part of your question, my own suituation is that i just have the ariel.
Not all of the films that were made originally in english will let you have the option of changing the language setting to english.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:24 am

For quite a while after buying our TV I thought we couldn't get programmes in the original language .... then I re-read the instruction manual :oops: .

I found that apart from setting the language in the main menu to English, each time I watched a programme I had to press the yellow button on the handset. Then I got a drop down menu on screen with the option of Spanish or 'qaa'/ 'unknown' etc which I clicked on and Ok'd, and suddenly the programme was in its original language. I have 2 TVs and on one I have to set each channel using the yellow button, whilst on the other I can just set it through the main menu. It works very well although some series that had previously been on UK TV like Inspector Montalbano weren't much good as they went into their original Italian.

It may be that there is a different system for your TV Carrowcrin.