Cheap ipad Ooops, I mean tablet

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
barry
Resident

Re: Cheap ipad Ooops, I mean tablet

Postby barry » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 am

Here's one more with both a grammar error and missing comma.
I need further information, as I see no glaring errors.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:33 am

Can we please get back to tablets rather than grammar and punctuation.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:52 am

Can anyone make head or tail of this :?

http://tinyurl.com/lwvq4cm

Surely the bottom 2 must be 2013 models.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:

Surely the bottom 2 must be 2013 models.

Correct. If you check the specs you will see the bottom two have the higher res screen.

1920x1200 vs 1280x800 more RAM faster processor and a later version of Android. Also 300g vs 340g so significantly lighter.

That said, there was not much wrong with the old one so at that price it's a pretty good deal.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Right guys, I've done a full circle here so here's we're up to.............having taken notice of EVERYTHING said in this thread............thanks again for that.

As I started off by saying it was just a spur of the moment thing.........I'd no desire for a tablet or even needed one............it kicked off when OH declared her new found like for e readers :roll:

Anyway after taking all the advice on board I've scoured and scoured and basically made a decision to buy this week whilst stocks seem ok.

I admit now, after doing my homework a Tablet would be a good thing to buy, and yes I too would use it........another convert thanks to this thread.

So last night OH asks what we're doing and suggested an idea. She says if we bought the tablet I'd hog it and she'd be back to analogue books :mrgreen:

So, with having a load of unused Tesco points she suggested getting 2 x his and her HUDLs on the way home tonight.........with her discount it'd be about 185 quid.......not bad eh?

I thought that was a good idea but on her way out she put a fly in the ointment...........she said "I hope these Hudls are as easy to use and read a book on as the £40 one I borrowed was"

Hmmm, that got me thinking...........after reading all the reports online.....and comments here it seems a no brainer that the Nexus 7 is the best Tablet in its price range.... so why muck about I'm now thinking.

So I called her to put a block on the Hudl purchase tonight...........at the same time she said another lady in work said a thing called a "KOBO" was a cracking e reader and highly recommended it..........she also said it could download books her hubbys expensive tablet couldn't...........how does that work then guys?............could that be true?

The upshot.............I'm going to get a Nexus 7 and a KOBO or similar for OH.........glad we got that sorted!!!!

Anyhow.............anyone here seen,used,own a KOBO or recommend another decent e reader please?

And finally, I can get a 2012 Nexus 7 32gb machine for £60 less than a 2013 latest 16gb.

El Cid says the early model is excellent so I'm sure it will be but I've a feeling the 2013 model may be a lot better............if it's unnoticeable differences I'd go for the former...........if the difference was vast then £60 won't break the bank is my thought.

Shame they don't have SD slots but I'm not a film watcher so won't download much apart from maybe a bit of music.

Again, thanks for all the info. A great help once more.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Well,
I would agree with your instinct and go for the higher specification.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:

Anyhow.............anyone here seen,used,own a KOBO or recommend another decent e reader please?

El Cid says the early model is excellent so I'm sure it will be but I've a feeling the 2013 model may be a lot better............if it's unnoticeable differences I'd go for the former...........if the difference was vast then £60 won't break the bank is my thought.

Shame they don't have SD slots but I'm not a film watcher so won't download much apart from maybe a bit of music.
As I have said before, you cannot beat the Kindle Paperwhite as a dedicated Ereader.

I think you will find the major benefit of the new Nexus is the slightly smaller and thinner body which is really light. Anyway, you know you always get buyers remorse if you don't buy top of the range!

As for storage, 16gb is probably enough but beware of good games - some take over 2gb each especially racing games but it shouldn't be a problem unless you have filled it up with music.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Cheers Sid, thanks for that.....it'll be the 2013 model as you and Mark both seem to agree with...daft not to for the price.

Apologies, I'd forgot about you mentioning the Paperwhite..........yes it's screen looks perfect and I thought jobs a goodun..........nice piece of kit!!

However once more there's paperwhites ranging from £75 to over £250..........here we go again.

Surely to heavens a boggo one would suffice for reading?? And if she needed to play Rfactor the Nexus would be there for her :mrgreen:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi Guys,

A thought..........

How do the devices compare if you want to read out in the sun light, seen Ereaders out in the sun and ok to read.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 pm

E-readers work well in sunlight as the screen technology is totally different from tablets/camera etc.

Tablets are pretty useless as readers in bright light ( just like most digital cameras and phones) but would anyone really read an e-reader in bright sun - possibly not.

Personally if this was a problem I would use both. If you have a Kindle account your books are available on non-Kindle devices and even synchronise the last page read between all the devices.

Amazingly you can even read books that have not been bought from Amazon on all the Kindle devices as well. You can even send documents from your PC to your Kindle account and read them. I recently downloaded a large online manual to my PC and made it available on my Kindle account.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:25 am

Now that's a good tip Sid - why did I never think of that...? :roll:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Just wondered if anyone uses Groupon? There's a 70 euro discount on the Nexus 7, it would seem...........

http://www.groupon.es/deals/oferta-naci ... 331&a=1677

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:48 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groupon- ... 1210969784
Looks like some care may be needed...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Oh yes! Best steer clear! Thanks Peter

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Update: I thought this worth reporting, as I go on about poor customer service so often!
As previous posts by me say, I ordered an iPadAir from Apple's online store in mid-November, and was advised that delivery was expected 10th-12th December (new model, high demand, so grumble but accept!).
Phone call from Apple in Luxembourg last Thursday - 'Mark' said my order had reached TNT (somewhere?) and they had seen there was some damage to one package, and sent a photo to Apple for their info. Mark asked me what I wanted to do - receive the package and return if there was damage to the iPad, or get them to order replacement now? I said send it and let's see. Friday Mark rings again - package has reached Malaga, could I receive it? I said only if am, as I had to go out after noon, so if not morning please change to Monday. Checked TNT tracking and said 29th until 12pm then changed to say 2nd December, the Monday. Mark rings Monday but package not here yet, says will ring again. Call for TNT man, check location and will be there by 5.30. Doorbell goes at 4.30, TNT man has found my house (something MRW never try to do and SEUR only did after heavy complaints to Amazon), Everything is fine inside the boxes, the hole in one carton lining up with the underneath of the packaging round the iPad - Happy Bunny!
Mark calls again fro Luxembourg on the Tuesday, glad to hear all ok, and that he will credit 75€ to my card for the inconvenience!
Maybe this shows that you get what you pay for? Can anyone truly imaging a Spanish company taking that much trouble over an order? Answers on a postcard please...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm glad everything turned out fine.
Now it's time to enjoy a really good tablet. Often a tablet is only as good as the apps you download.
Newsstand is a great way of reading newspapers and mags. Some are free, some require payment. Remember to sign into the UK apple store to receive UK based apps and papers.
Other good apps I would recommend are, Tunein Radio, Skype, Pages, Filmon.

It's worth it to read up on the best apps and tips on how to use the tablet, just google to find info
Some good apps are reviewed here
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362572,00.asp
More here
http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-ipad-apps

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for that Mark - I must admit I am finding it a liitle bewildering in parts at the moment, but will of course persist!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Yes Peter - you do get what you pay for.

I would recommend this app for a quick start tutorial.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tips-tr ... d369859228

Do you have a UK iTunes account?

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 pm

A friends wife called me this morning...........doing the usual "any ideas for him" bit :D

The things I suggested did not impress.

Seriously though she is thinking of getting him another Ipad, apparently he's had his for a while now so assume it's a 1 or a 2 maybe.

She reckons its a bit tatty now around the edges so thinks it may be a good idea.............however she's worried that it may be a waste if it does no more than his current one does.............I was stumped to answer that without Googling pages of what might be BS.

What is the answer there............and also what is this Air Ipad that PORs bought..........where does that sit with relation to the Ipad and Mini...........is it the top one now, does it do more?
Thanks once more guys.

PS Got the ereader and the N7 2013.............gotta say, first time I've looked at a tablet properly when the guy demo'd one for me..............incredible clarity and speed.
Them Ipads must be good if it outclasses these :shock:
Shame I'm a tight fisted androidist :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:

What is the answer there............and also what is this Air Ipad that PORs bought..........where does that sit with relation to the Ipad and Mini...........is it the top one now, does it do more?
Thanks once more guys.

iPad 1 now over 3 years old and totally out of date - only uses the old version of IOS so many current apps won't work. Low res screen and poor cameras

iPad 2 - same screen, better camera, will run current iOS.

iPad 3 - 18 months old. Current high res display, good camera - very few reasons to upgrade.

iPad 4 - 12 months old. Very little change from iPad 3.

iPad Air. Much lighter and slightly smaller. Very fast processor. Probably the best 10" tablet on the market.

iPad Mini - one year old. Low res screen similar to iPad 1 and 2.

iPad Mini 2 - basically the same as iPad Mini 1 but with high res screen.

In summary, upgrade from iPad 1 and 2 to iPad air. Upgrade from Mini 1 to Mini 2 probably not worth it unless you really need the high res screen.

Sid