FilmOn

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

FilmOn

Postby Mowser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:46 pm

A few people have mentioned some problems with FilmOn. I was looking at a TV guide online and when I looked below the TV station name, it says "Watch Online." I clicked it and up came the channel with no buffering. It is powered by FilmOn but in my opinion, it's better than downloading the FilmOn app.
Here's the TV guide I was looking at.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/
Dave

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: FilmOn

Postby baroness » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Are you watching with expatshield or similar? It seems to be just a link to BBC iplayer etc. So the quality is better. When I tried, it would not work without a UK proxy whilst filmon will. Jeff

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Apologies, I have now found the live link to film on, it does seem quite good. jeff

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am

There are also Android and Apple apps for TVguide that work really well.
A good way of watching live TV online

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Are you getting filmon in full screen format ... im only getting 4:3 format

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I use filmon when hubby is watching our tv ,my friend who is a pensioner got a british guy up to fix her computer and charged her 49€ for putting it onto her computer, :twisted: when I told her it was free she would not call him back and demand a refund BRITS RIPPING OF THE BRITS I was as mad as hell but she said she will call me the next time she needs anything

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:52 pm

markwilding wrote:There are also Android and Apple apps for TVguide that work really well.
A good way of watching live TV online
What's the favourite android tv guide?. The android version of tvguide.co.uk doesn't appear to have the watch now functionality that the website has.
Regards

Bob

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 am

sheilap wrote:I use filmon when hubby is watching our tv ,my friend who is a pensioner got a british guy up to fix her computer and charged her 49€ for putting it onto her computer, :twisted: when I told her it was free she would not call him back and demand a refund BRITS RIPPING OF THE BRITS I was as mad as hell but she said she will call me the next time she needs anything
maybe he charge 49 for the callout not the software :)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm

I don't know why Filmon rarely works for me. I tried the link via the TVGuide but it plays the advert then just says 'loading' all the time. Very occasionally it has worked during the day, but never in the evening.

The BBCiPlayer I use on the Chrome extension tends to work OK but my speeds these days are all over the place ... up to 4.86mbps at times but others it is barely 1mbps, and sometimes I cannot even get the speedtest to work. It's driving me a bit nuts especially if I am going to be relying on this to see some TV in the future :( There only seems to be one supplier that covers me here, although Tooway say it will work as they are satellite based, but I have heard bad reviews about them (and they are expensive).

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Wicksey wrote:... Tooway say it will work as they are satellite based, but I have heard bad reviews about them (and they are expensive).
A satellite system such as Tooway will definitely work.
What bad reviews have you heard?
Is it with the Tooway system or the suppliers/ resellers/ installers?
I have a system via Tooway and cannot fault it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:41 pm

I have also got Tooway and have no complaints, it works well. Best speeds I have ever had. Not cheap but very reliable.

Previously I relied on Telefonica ADSL with supposedly an up to 3Mbps download, but with wind in right direction I managed no more than 2. I have kept it because I want the land-line and not much difference in rental between just a line or one with internet connection. I use it mostly when getting near to download limit on Tooway which is not often.

I use Filmon most days mainly to watch C5 and it works very well on both my PC and iPad.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Gerry and Masterob, what tariff are you on? From what I've seen they look very expensive. I wouldn't want to pay any more than the 30€ a month I pay now (and what I paid at a previous address).

I cannot find the post but it was on a local discussion/newsletter and if you Google Tooway problems Spain there are various people who complain about poor speeds and bad customer service. If the dish has to be as accurately installed as a Sky dish, then perhaps some of the companies that install the system aren't doing it properly. I feel that to get the download speeds I would like it would be too much to pay out.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Wicksey, There are various suppliers/installers for Tooway. I am with Electronics Paraiso S.L who are based in Estapona.

I signed up to the Large package which costs €59.90 per month (IVA inc.) For that I get a Download speed of up to 20Mbps and an Upload speed of up to 6Mbps. The maximum monthly data allowance is 20GB but after midnight and until 6.am (I think) it is unlimited. I signed up in anticipation of having to rely on the likes of Filmon at some stage in the future for UK Television.

I periodically keep a record of actual speeds since I signed up back in April. Overall the average Download speed has been 18Mbps and Upload 5Mbps. I have had no faults since signing up.

As I wrote previously I still have my Telefonica ADSL line and as I have two PCs, one is connected to the Tooway system and the other to Telefonica. That way I am able to keep an eye on the Tooway usage and so remain within the monthly data allowance - coupled also with waiting until after midnight to download such things as films and music via Tooway.

There are other packages, the cheapest Medium package is €33.50 plus IVA. The speeds are the same but the monthly allowance is 10GB. Similarly there are more expensive packages, all with the same speeds but higher monthly allowances.

I agree it's not cheap but, for me, the luxury of excellent download/upload speeds makes it worthwhile.

Coincidentally, I believe Gerry is also with the same supplier, no doubt he will let you know of his experience.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 am

masterob wrote:
Coincidentally, I believe Gerry is also with the same supplier, no doubt he will let you know of his experience.
Correct I am also with them.
Provided the installer does his job correctly in aligning the dish then there shouldn't be any problems.
As masterbob says, some people might not regard the prices as cheap but where I live, the only choices are connection via GPS, USB modem, almost as dear but slow speeds and occasional no connection, or via satellite.
Fast speeds and reliable connection.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris