MiFi WiFi Router

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Parilla
Resident

MiFi WiFi Router

Postby Parilla » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this piece of kit. Highest available speeds in this area (movistar,vodaphone etc) are 2 to 3 Mgb at best and you can halve that at certain times of the day, yet around 12 Mgb is claimed for this system. It's obviously expensive, but how can it be so much more effective ? www.theskydoctor.com/adsl-internet.htm.

Parilla

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: MiFi WiFi Router

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:23 pm

They supply an aerial etc. the signal is transmitted from their aerial to your aerial. You have to have line of site to their aerial.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Gerryh, thanks for your reply but I am even more confused now that I have seen the kit installed in someone's home. I'm a luddite with technology I'm afraid, but this thing looks unlike any router I have ever seen, and it has no aerial or dish, nor is it connected to a phone line.

The item itself is very small and just sits on the TV stand, it's about the dimensions of a mini smartphone, and it has one cable only which connects directly to the TV and nothing else, nothing else in or out, no connection to phone line or computer.

Baffled !

Parilla

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Parilla,
Sounds about right, a single cable comes in to the house, you can then connect direct to PC or into a wireless router and use on many wifi devices.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Enrique and thanks. Excuse my being dense, but what is this "thing" then, is it actually a router itself which replaces the existing router, or is it an extra to the existing router ? And how is it powered as there is no mains supply ? I think I am in well over my head here ! We need an "IT for Dummies" Section.

Parilla

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:57 pm

I think that what Parilla means is a mifi device (mobile wifi) that uses the 3G or 4G mobile data networks to receive a signal, you then "link" your laptop, smartphone etc to the mifi router.
The mifi router needs a SIM card.

The one on the skydoctor page looks like one of the Huawei range, there is more explanation here

http://www.huawei.com/ecommunity/bbs/10159847.html

I started a thread a while ago on a related topic.

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 89#p306121

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Sorry, I didn't read your original message properly. :oops:
Yes its a small sized box, effectively a USB modem with a cable, that uses the 3G, or 4G network, to receive the signal and transmits it via the cable or WiFi.
The big but is how well it works depends entirely on how good a 3G or 4G signal you can receive where you live.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Got my pants in a twist on this one......please ignore my post above. :oops:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

Everything I read says this device is no good for IPTV, but that is obviously untrue, although it is expensive. My elderly neighbours have resorted to this as the most they could wring out of Movistar's ADSL was 1.5Mgb, which didn't cut the mustard. This little thing does, giving them 7 - 8 Mgb for their IPTV with excellent results.

Parilla

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 am

I use a mifi with vodafona, yes I can get speeds of around 8mg sometimes, when connected to my pc by usb cable, but for some reason my kindle cant pick up a signal from it in the house, out in the front garden there is no problems, have had three devices working on it wirelessly, but not indoors.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am

I was using a Hauwei mifi dongle, which I was very happy with, and it streamed TV perfectly well with my contract with TMN Portugal (I live on the border). I am using an android connected to TV with HDMI. However, (I´m sure Enrique will correct me if I am wrong), as with all 3G devices, there is a monthly download limit. Mine was 15Gb. I decided that this would not be enough for TV viewing and all the other stuff we do on the internet, and have changed my ISP to one with unlimited download and no fair usage policy.