BB4Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

BB4Spain

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Is it me or is this a tad misleading saying unlimited data download to say a massive 1.5GB (in context thats approx only 1hr of HD TV) is a joke....also saying at a reduced priority seems a tad ambiguous...could simply mean a trickle or quote a real percentage decrease given may be a bit fairer in a "fair usage policy.

Unlimited Data:* No Unexpected bills
If you use a "dongle", a mobile data tariff, or certain other wireless internet providers, you will have a limit on the amount of data you can download and upload (usually 5Gbytes per month). Use over your limit and your connection will be disconnected, and / or an unexpected bill for the extra data.

At BB4S you may download without that worry or expense. Our fair usage policy allows you to download a massive 1.5 Gbytes in any 24h period at full speed, then an unlimited amount of data at a reduced priority.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: BB4Spain

Postby Enrique » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi firsttango,
No its not you their site is very misleading Big letters UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD......small print allowance.

Just looked at my usage today 5.5Gb...and I spent most of it outside picking olives :!: :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm

1.5Gb per day is 45 GB per month.
Not too bad when you consider the standard satellite download/ upload package is for 10 GB per month.
I'm on the 20 GB per month package, at extra cost.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Gerry my point was as to how "misleading" their wording is (along with nearly every other Ad you see). However as Enrique says his usage was 5.5 gb just today. 1.5gig is certainly not "massive" you'd struggle to watch 1hr and 30 mins of iplayer or filmon hd with that "massive" 1.5gig then throttled back to who knows what (as they dont state what the reduction in speed is) and result in a connection speed that will not support watching TV at all . Also I'm pretty damn sure it doesnt roll over and accumulate so after a few days you had enough to download a film in HD.
I was purely trying to make people aware of the"small print" and to check before they part with hard earned cash as cowboys and non techie expats don't mix. Have already heard horror stories of some elderly who have shelled out big bucks for pretty much nothing that they can work out how to use.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm

Certainly agree with you about misleading ads.
Read one yesterday that stated that you couldn't use Tooway for watching TV because of the restricted bandwidth.
Total rubbish, I use Tooway to watch all the TV that I want to.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm

I find you have to read all these adverts many times and even then use the "if it looks too good to be true it probably is" approach.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:37 am

I have just been offered an unlimited deal from tooway. When I pressed them on the UNLIMITED part I was told its unlimited from 23.00 to 7am. Great for downloading but I don't download and I also do not watch much tv between these hours. I use this time to sleep. Read the small print please. The scammers are coming out of the woodwork.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

We have been with BB4S for about 2 years and when we took out our contract we had 2GB per day and it has been reduced to 1.5GB although we have not had any notification.
We were satisfied with the service but since the satellite switchover our service has been very patchy and is not suitable for live iplayer veiwing even though we used it before the switchover.After telephoning to complain about the reduction the service returned to normal for a short period but then dropped again!
We are dissatisified with this service at present and are looking at alternative providers. :thumbdown:

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:04 am

BB4S have something of a reputation, I have to report.
Chris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:00 pm

im going to be really thick here and ask does the download limit just relate to actual downloading and it doesnt include actual web browsing.as you can tell im useless with anything other than copy and paste. we are planning to use BB4S when we move out as all out tablets etc is run off wireless and they seem to be the best option. we emailed movistar but athough its a wired connection its a do it yourself wireless router set up which is no go for us. any other recommendations for companies who will do everything for you interms of the set up

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 pm

It includes all data used whether browsing, watching youtube clips or full on TV, IMO Movistar is far and away the best option if at all possible, would steer clear of BB4S

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 pm

We've been with BB4S for years and are very happy with them. Hoping they will sort out the issues they are having at the moment with internet speeds, feel confident they will. Colin and his colleague came to sort out a problem we were having a couple of weeks ago, (prior to losing tv) we think their service is very good.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm

If there is ADSL coverage for your telephone number (which you can check on the Movistar web site) you can contract for ADSL with them and they will supply a router which will install itself without any input from you.

Every time you connect to the internet you are using bandwidth and therefore contributing towards your download limit. Movistar ADSL has unlimited download as standard for about €24 per month for up to 10mbps plus, of course, the cost of your telephone line.

If it is available in your area Movistar ADSL is by far the best option and I can say from personal experience that they have really got their act together over the past few months as far as customer service is concerned.

Check availability of ADSL on your line here:

https://www.movistar.es/internet/?vgnex ... mt=default

Edit: Sorry, I have repeated some of firsttango's comments but I was writing my post at the same time.
Let's go Brandon!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 pm

thanks for your advice. i would prefer a wired connection if possible especially with the sat t.v issues and adsl is available where we are renting its just the whole router issue which we are useless with and always have have hassle with it in the uk let alone in spain! although ive finally got my ethernet adapter working on my chromebook so ive now got a wired connection if need be. and i guess theres people and shops around who will fit it for you. I asked movistar about it and they said they dont install and sent me the instructions to show how "easy" it is. for those who use a movistar router do you use WPA/WPA2 PSK security and are you able get onto the routers homepage to changed passwords etc.is it basically the same as the UK

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm

gerryh wrote:Certainly agree with you about misleading ads.
Read one yesterday that stated that you couldn't use Tooway for watching TV because of the restricted bandwidth.
Total rubbish, I use Tooway to watch all the TV that I want to.
Cheers
Gerry
Out of interest how much tv ARE you able to watch with 20gb a month. I am thinking of going with the satellite option. cheers
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

gina59 wrote: Out of interest how much tv ARE you able to watch with 20gb a month. I am thinking of going with the satellite option. cheers
Claimed to be about one and half hours per day, BUT I download all the TV I want to watch overnight, between midnight and 7:00 AM when there is no download limit.
So for me, I can watch as much TV as I want. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Are you nocturnal lol

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:43 pm

L, XL & XXL packages include Unlimited browsing between 11PM and 7AM...Gerry as a long time user of Tooway (I assume) do they class "browsing" the same as full "downloading" unlike many providers who throttle back customer speeds once they see a "usage" pattern, which I think Tooway mention in their T's and C's??

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks Gerry, still dont quite understand how you can download at night without staying up, or can you program in what you want to download??? :?
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Gina59
Yes, I've set up a task in task scheduler that runs at 1:00 AM.

firsttango
The off peak times are Midnight to 7:00 AM, not 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM, or so it says on all the websites for Tooway that I have looked at.
Browsing, downloading and uploading are exactly the same in as much as they are using part of the 20 GB allowance.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris