Over Friendly Samsung TVs

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Unicorn
Resident

Over Friendly Samsung TVs

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 am

My new Smart Samsung in the in the lounge and in the next room there is another Samsung, the other side of the wall, although not directly. The lounge TV has started to come on when I put on the other one.

How can a I stop this? It also comes on if I turn the other TV off.
Any remedies gratefully received.....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Over Friendly Samsung TVs

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:42 am

If the sets are in different rooms it should not happen as the remotes use IR which is line of sight.

Have you tried moving them into different positions and also using the remotes pointed obliquely at the TV so that it limits the signal to the other one?

It's a very common problem with TVs in the same room, but not normally when they are in different rooms.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am

I have tried several directions and only if I point it up in the air in the kitchen it doesn't affect the living room TV. Strange, though, I have had no problem before yesterday and the TVs have been in situ 10 days!

(Do people have TVs in the same room?)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am

Unicorn wrote:
(Do people have TVs in the same room?)
Well, it beats Picture in Picture!

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm just relieved that it was turning it on. I kept going into the living room thinking 'I'm sure I didn't turn that on...' Thought I had lost it at last.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Try putting some Sellotape over the sender to reduce its power. Another option is to put a toilet roll core onto the end of the remote to make it more directional.

The only other solution is an expensive computerised remote such as the Locitech Harmony but that is an expensive option.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Waving it in the air in the kitchen, as I said before, rather than directly at the TV, works to turn the kitchen TV on and not the other. Looks a bit manic, but heigh ho.
Out of interest, is it because they are both Samsungs, or would it be the same for different make tellys?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Different TVs may have different codes. The on code is the same as the on code which is why one will switch on and the other switch off and vice versa.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:04 pm

This was a common problem when more than one Humax box (remember those?) was operated in the same room.

The remedy is to link each of your remotes to ONE tv only. This is usually possible, but you'll have to consult a decent Samsung user's manual, or go to their website (or Google the problem) to find out how it's done. Usually easy when you know how!

[A site which can be useful for almost sorting out any device or gadget, or seeing whether there are "know faults" is fixya.com. You can enter a maker's model number, and also search for faults which others have written about.]
Chris

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't suppose you have any type of signal relaying system in the house? Video sender etc.

Although functioning in a different signal realm they can sometimes, inexplicably relay other other types of signal command.

There is also the "Magic Eye" infra red sender that would definitely achieve this if you have one. (It allows the operation of an item in another room by "infra red->RF->infra red" transfer, often used for access to satellite boxes in a remote room.)

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Guilty as charged. I have the IR system.

But, as I have said before, it seems to be just the kitchen TV that communicates with the other TV and if I wave it in the air, rather than at the telly,it only works the TV that it should. I just have to remember!

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Aha! That makes perfect sense as the IR system is one way only.

You could try repositioning the IR receiver in the kitchen. Firstly they are a little directional i.e. the width of field (how wide it can see a remote IR signal) is far greater than it's height. Therefore, you could turn the receiver on its side e.g. attach to a cupboard side or TV side, use Blu-Tak so you can find a sweet spot. If that fails see if you have a handy diagonal surface that almost obscures the receiver, like the side of a TV often has a facet that goes diagonally towards the rear of the set. That would allow you to operate the TV normally but require a "funky angle" when operating the sat. box via said IR receiver.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I have had a bit of a fiddle with everything and have found that just angling the lounge TV slightly the problem seems to go away. If only all problems in life were so easily solved!