Genuine?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Genuine?

Postby Mariacristina » Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm

This morning I had a telephone call from a lady with an oriental accent. She told me she was phoning from Microsoft and needed to talk to me about my computer. I said it was not a convenient time.

This afternoon a different oriental lady has phoned saying she is from the telephone company and they have had a report that my computer has been infected with malware. She asked me to put my computer on. I said I it was not my computer and she cut the call.

A new scam or am I being overly suspicious?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Genuine?

Postby markwilding » Thu May 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Scam

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 22, 2014 3:28 pm

This is not a new scam, it has been around for a long time but it definitely is a scam.
If you fall for it they charge you money for fixing the non existent problems. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Microsoft security site list it as a scam.
Worst scenario is they try to take control of your computer or plant something on it.
Microsoft advice....hang up!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 pm

These people get everywhere. we were plagued for years in the uk by them. either microsoft or claiming to represent your ISP. they will infect your company steal your bank details etc then charge you to fix it! i used to play along and found that asking them if their mother was proud of what they do or start asking them about religion etc always used to hit a raw nerve with the scumbags

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... a_edowfgl8

Quite long but a guy from Malwarebytes played along to the end.
Brian.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 am

If they are phoning you up in Spain ... how come they speak English

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon May 26, 2014 11:25 am

Martin Page wrote:If they are phoning you up in Spain ... how come they speak English
Who knows how they choose their marks...?
Brian.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 26, 2014 11:42 am

"Who knows how they choose their marks...?"

They get hold of/buy lists...........They address you by name.....so good chance if you're call Smith etc...then you will be speaking English.

I'm the terminate politely type, so any calls/ visits that I've not initiated get this treatment, life is too short to listen/argue with these people.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm

I appreciate the replies. I was concerned that I was being unnecessarily suspicious. I like to think that most people are nice and mean well - and they usually are.

I don't know why they immediately speak in English -if they are working from the phone book I suppose British names are obvious.

The callers are certainly persistent though. The day after my original post I had another call, this time from a gentleman with an Indian accent, and this morning another from another oriental sounding lady. I don't like to be rude so it is easier to say it is not convenient at the moment. Maybe that is why they call back though.

Last week we had a group of men in the village claiming to be from Repsol and saying they had to inspect the gas pipes. I suppose that hard times inevitably mean more crimes, but when they are this organised it's a bit frightening.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Last week we had a group of men in the village claiming to be from Repsol and saying they had to inspect the gas pipes. I suppose that hard times inevitably mean more crimes, but when they are this organised it's a bit frightening.

Yes they target the most vunerable, mainly elderly foreigners. It is a disgrace although the Authorities are now rounding up some of these crooks. Have a read at this, worth translating.

http://www.diariosur.es/rc/20140316/soc ... 61042.html

Maria don't bother speaking to them, just cut them off. Basically cold callers aren't nice people at all.