Filmon Issues

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Acen
Resident

Re: Filmon Issues

Postby Acen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 pm

ITV is playing up alot watching the football (england v swiss) surely im not the only only with Filmon issues via an andriod box

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:22 pm

You'll be glad to hear that you are not alone, was trying to watch earlier on a friends system (full 29.2 mbps download fibre optic- 28 ping No packet loss) buffered numerous times. However, I expect there may be "someone" on here who'll tell you it didn't buffer for them on their 28k dial up modem :lol:

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:15 am

However, I expect there may be "someone" on here who'll tell you it didn't buffer for them on their 28k dial up modem
Strangely I was watching "The X-Factor" on ITV1 on Sunday evening on my android tablet with 7mbps wifi download (well ok, maybe not strangely, someone has to watch it) followed by "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher (spelling??) and commented to OH how well the service was performing, not a buffer in sight...........

Is it more footie fans than X-factor watchers that causes a problem??

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 am

For me ITV has always been a difficult one watching via the internet.

The best results are best via the Now TV or the PS3, unsurprisingly really, because they are dedicated apps for the big screen but neither have live TV.

To watch the footy last night I tried all the means I have and for smooth video Filmon was the best but the picture quality was not great for fast moving footballers.

The best quality picture came from watching on a laptop, plugged in via an HTML cable but with slight juddering which many might not notice.

Even with 120mb, I can get buffering but a quick reboot of the router solves it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am

A couple of these connected to your Android box may solve your buffering problem :mrgreen: :

Luckily I don't seem to need them. :thumbup:
Let's go Brandon!

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks everyone on the feedback.

Its a bit frustrating as I have the best broadband for my area (8mb in reality), ive got a brand new quad core box and the reality is that its as slow as my zx sprectrum back in the 80's

spend mist of my life watching the blue arrow going around or the buffering % slowly increase.

I have read in the net that possible need to update the links for the apps but its done automatically every month.

not all programs are available to download latter on, for example Strictly come dancing is still not on PB.

i would like a remote so that my kids can use it so laptops and tablets are not ideal.

i was prepared for the low picture quality (after a while you get used to it) but the buffering is belong belief!!!

acen

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:33 pm

I would do a diagnostics on your WIFI/Router connection and see if you're on a congested channel. I was on the standard ch 6 and was experiencing a few congestion problems early evenings when someone nearby was also on ch 6 so changed to a free channel, in my case 3 and its been pretty stable and reliable ever since.
If no joy I would ask Beachcombers how he's set up as he gets no buffering at all on a connection less than half of yours!

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi thanks for the tip but the android box is connected via ethernet cable.

Just tried it now and BBC news was not good at all but ironically ITV was ok just now for the chaser.

Im currently setting it up for the kids with "Madly Madagascar" so will check later.

When I mean set it up i mean start a film then press pause so ideally to stop any buffering as most has already been downloaded.

I have to assume that filmon via these andriod boxes is actually rubbish. I know they are sold as mini computers but im not at all convinced as it seem even the cheapest of tablets copes better.

To its credit the on demand connect when working is excellent, however for UK TV is not ideal at all.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Try going into "Settings" on Android and locate Filmon App under Apps and Clear the Cache....may help, if not Uninstall Filmon and then Re install it afresh.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 am

El Cid wrote:I use BBC iPlayer on my Smart TV a lot for catchup TV. Most of the time it is perfect but occasionally I get unacceptable buffering and try again later. I check the speed when this happens and it is my usual 2.5mb speed. I have no idea why it happens.

I am currently using the Intelsat 907 satellite for the "lost" channels and it works fine in full HD with no buffering. I know that there may be issues with the availability of the encryption codes in future but it works fine at the moment and my personal opinion is that it will continue to do so, albeit with occasional code changes resulting in 48 hours loss of signal. For €280 installed and no monthly charge it seems like a viable option. It's €100 cheaper if you realign your old Sky dish.

PM me for details if you are interested and I will put you in touch with my installer.

Sid.
Wish I had seen that earlier Sid. I have just spent 280 euros to have my old satellite dish re-aligned and a box, a local chap was offering to do it for 140 euros but I could never get hold of him and when I did he would say he was coming and didnt turn up so in desperation as I had lost my radio signal over the internet on the iplayer I asked these two chaps who advertise their service for 280 euros. Ugh now I feel I have been had. :thumbdown:

I still use the Filmon though because it is a basic service, but I too had problems with the buffeting and the downloading to a memory stick takes forever, also when I did get the radio of the internet it seemed to make my computer very slow and it kept freezing!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:15 am

Anybody got the new Filmon app? Once the new format has been addressed it is quite easy except for buffering and a problem enlarging the screen. Any ideas. I am watching TV with android device.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 am

With regards to my original point I think watching Filmon via XBMC is alot slower/issue compaired to watching it directly via a laptop.

I think the issues that i am quote mainly stem from xbmc and the use of an android box.

these products are not that great, far better, in my opnion to access directly via a tablet or laptop.

I think you have to take all these UK TV providers with a pinch of salt.

a

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:17 pm

You don't need to use XBMC for Filmon just download the application and use it directly.

It buffers for about thirty seconds at the beginning of the programme then runs straight through. You maximise the screen by clicking on the icon in the extreme bottom right hand corner.
Let's go Brandon!

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Appreciate your responses, unfortunately you could be speaking chinese such is my knowledge. Can anyone tell me in easy, baby terms?