Sky re-set

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Unicorn
Resident

Sky re-set

Postby Unicorn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Something flashes now and again across the top of the screen about re-setting Sky and Virgin. I have not been quick enough to read it. Anyone know what it is??

Cheers and thanks.

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Sky re-set

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 pm

What system are you using?

You reset a Sky box by unplugging it from the power for a min and the reapply the power.
But Sky do not flash "reset" messages across the screen.

Same would go for a Virgin box, but since you cannot get Virgin in Spain, that would not be your problem.

Perhaps it is a message coming from the service you are using...if you are using a rebroadcast or IPTV, then it will be a message from the broadcasters they are nicking their feeds from...or a message being flashed up on your providers system.... a b8it like when they change channels and you see the EPG when they do.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi Satandpcguy

Thanks for your reply. I have a Sky HD proper paid sub but sometimes this message appears at the top of the screen saying something like Sky and Virgin subscribers have to re-set, or similar. It is on the screen but very swiftly goes away! I have seen it for about the last 4 weeks or so.
Will try an unplug tomorrow and report back. :wave:

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:50 am

Never seen anything like that on my sky box...and not too sure why Sky would flash a message asking Virgin users to reset.

Does this appear on ALL channels, sky channels, certain channels?

Or is this a message if you are watching Sky News on Pick TV in the mornings, and when Pick moves to proper programming, you have to change channels to the actual Sky News channel, on Sky, Virginand Freesat>?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:26 pm

It appears on my Samsung TV (F6500)which is not connected to any set top box, only the internet. This morning it appeared whilst watching Divinity (Spanish TV). I was not in the room, so I have still not read the message, just get it second hand from my wife. I do not see how a message from sky or virgine can appear on my TV whilst watching Spanish TV.
Jeff

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Yes, Baroness, you may be right. It is possibly a message from Samsung saying something about Sky and Virgin.
Come to think about it, there was a similarly formatted message, across the top of the screen, white lettering on blue, quite a while back, warning of a Samsung update.
The problem is that the message comes and goes very quickly! :crazy:

Anyone been fast enough to read it?

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:16 pm

OK I just got more of it. It says something like 'Sky and Virgin users will have to set up the TV again because of the end of the service ....' and then it cuts off.

What does that mean, set up the TV again? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for suggestions. :wave:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Tv s in UK have all had to reset last week just rescan and then its ok, maybe the same thing in Spain.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 pm

In the UK many people have had to do a Freeview retune.
But since you cannot get Freeview in Spain,. that would not be an issue.

Unless you have your TV connected to the internet and have reset it for UK apps - and UK settings? Perhaps it thinks as it is in the UK you need to retune Freeview...?
Or, you have apps installed that require a reset...?

I cannot see why, if you had sky or virgin, which connect via HDMI and scart cable, that you have to "set up the TV again"...

Unless the TV has had some firmware updates, and certain settings for the HDMI / scart input have reset to default settings..?

eg - some TVs you can rename "AV1" to "Sky" - perhaps the new firmware has reset this back to "AV1"?

But without knowing what is causing the message, no one can really say for sure what it means...

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 pm

I guess I'll wait and see......

Thanks all.