UK TV the future

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

UK TV the future

Postby markwilding » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 pm

EE in the UK has launched a new set top box that can stream live and catchup TV to various devices including TVs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29535279

It has been mentioned before that it's illogical to broadcast live TV to smart TVs and game consuls etc. and up to recently I agreed with that logic but there seems to be growing feeling that these boxes can provide live TV as well as there being a lot of people who would like to get rid of dishes, aerials and cables.

With a change in the law regarding having to buy a TV licence no matter which way people view the telly and if The various TV companies started thinking of the internet as being just another normal way of watching live content and therefore adapting the APPs, along with the smart DNS servers supporting these APPs, we might just have another better way of receiving UK TV.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK TV the future

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:22 pm

It is all OK as long as you get a good internet speed and reliable supply though, which is a problem for many of us that do not have the luxury of fibre optics. I don't know if and when fast broadband will ever reach some parts of Andalucia. That's why I have had to give up and go down the 907 route as I got fed up trying to watch live TV via the internet, and bored with recording and downloading everyday from Filmon.

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm

I watch tv via internet through a minix which is fine at the moment, but everyone here is talking about a new satellite service, is this the 907 Wicksey? If so is it reliable?

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:41 pm

907 is not new - it has been around for years...carrys a limited number of channels (most bbc, itv1, c4hd)...needs to be hacked to view...short term should eb fine, but always rumours about its long term viability.

and mentioned many times on here before - a quick forum search of "907" bring up 100+ posts...
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33547
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33584
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33627
to mention just three threads...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it