Chrome problems

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Chrome problems

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Google Chrome has been acting up a bit for the past couple of days - failing to open properly or taking a long time to do so - so I thought I should delete it and download anew.
It will not let me delete the program, asking that I close all Chrome windows before proceeding, yet there are none open that I can see.
Any ideas chaps?
I ran CCleaner at the weekend but will rerun it and see if it shows anything up, but do not know what else to try....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chrome problems

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:15 pm

What are you using to try and delete it?
If you are using Windows delete then download and use Revouninstaller from http://www.revouninstaller.com/
If that doesn't delete it, nothing will.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I have just sorted it (I think!).
I used CCleaner, and when it asked if it could close Chrome (whivh was not open!) I told it to go ahead.
I could then remove Chrome, and have just reinstalled it. Apart from a nightmare with passwords I think I have got it going....
Thanks for caring!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:42 pm

If that happens again, right click in the bottom task bar and open the task manager. Then check to see if there are any chrome processes running.
If so. you will need to shut them down and then you should be able to uninstall it.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:15 am

markwilding wrote:If that happens again, right click in the bottom task bar and open the task manager.
Or press Ctrl-shift-esc to directly open task manager.
Graham

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:06 am

I did that at the time, and there was not Chrome in the list of running items....it must have been something in the background and part of the problem that forced the removal/reinstall.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:26 pm

It has broken again! clicking on the Chrome icon in the taskbar, or in the programmes list opened only a blank page. I therefore used CCleaner to do a clean and used it to force closure of Chrome, then uninstalled Chrome. I then tried to download the Windows7 64-bit Chrome, but when it got to the Install part I got an error message that it had failed to install. I downloaded their Sawbuck reporting programme and sent details of the log as requested, but nothing has made any difference. I can only get onto the net using IE, but without Chrome & Zenmate SWMBO will not get to see Downton - a serious matter in our house. Any ideas chaps?
Currently Chrome is not installed (in theory) but I am going to see if it is listed and uninstall it if it seems to be there!

Edit: no sign of Chrome in the list, so it has at least gone - all I want now is to get it back again!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi peteroldracer,
Sounds like time is of the essence ............ 8)

Download an off line installer , and follow this procedure......I'd go for 32bit if you have the choice.

https://support.google.com/installer/an ... 9?hl=en-GB
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:53 pm

I downloaded and ran Malwarebites: only thing detected was something called ??MndSpark.A which it said was a Registry Key, with a complex location ending in ASPDATALOW/SOFTWARE Internet Speed Tracker_9t.
I quarantined this, checked for no traces of Chrome, then downloaded the W7 64-bit version again, and lo and behold it installed, and remembered all my stuff like favourites and Zenmate set to London!
With any luck this will last long enough to view Downton, though of course by now we are into buffering time with whoever interferes with our network probable active, and RioSat turning down the supply....
Oh for optical fibre in the campo! :roll:
I will remember the url given above, and use it if the thing goes pear-shaped again....thanks hombre!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 am

I must stop posting that all is well, because as soon as I do, it isn't!
I have tried the off-line installer method without success, done a system restore to ten days ago and removed/reinstalled also without success, so am just now going to restore to further back in the hope that I can get back to happier times....
What I fail to understand is why Chrome cannot simply be removed, the system asking that all Chrome windows be closed, which they are, as far as I can see. A bit like when a computer tells you it cannot 'see' a printer for example, when it is sitting two feet away...!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am

Hi peteroldracer,
Just slow down................ :)
1) Do a "clean boot"..............a full read up of the procedure can be read here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Summary follows....

msconfig -> services-> hide all microsoft services

you will be left with the "third party stuff"........Disable all

Uninstall Google Chrome....using add/remove programs, I would use Revouninstall ( my systems are 32bit) , you would need the paid version for 64bit programs

if that removes Chrome then.........Added::..I've just followed the above procedure and removed Chrome from my system........now reloaded Chrome using the off-line installer.

Reboot

Report back

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 am

Looks complicated, so I will go run the bridge club and set aside some time tomorrow...just tried to make a start by using revouninstaller to remove Chrome, and got the same message as using MS uninstall, about closing all Chrome windows, followed by a very complex chart of what should be deleted! I closed this, only to get the warning that Revouninstaller may not be installed correctly or corrupted!
Bridge, large drink, do the scores for the tournament this evening, then good night's sleep before I tackle this lot!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am

Hi,
Have sent you a PM............... :idea: