TV USB Port

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TerryC
Resident

TV USB Port

Postby TerryC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I´ve started using Freemon, recording programmes, downloading them and playing them via an HDMI cable on the television, brilliant. I had to download a programme to my laptop to be able to play the MP4 file format that Freemon uses.
I then tried saving the downloaded programmes to a memory stick but when I tried to play it via the television´s USB port it states "File Format Not Supported."
Is there anyway around this?
I´m going away and taking the laptop so I want the missus to be able to watch the downloaded programmes.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: TV USB Port

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi TerryC,
Find out what file formats your TV USB supports and convert your files to this format on your USB stick......... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply. The TV supports FAT32 so I converted the memory stick to FAT32, copied the MP4 onto the reformatted memory stick and still the TV states "this file format not supported." I guess it is the file format that actally needs changing. I checked on Google for how to convert MP4 files to FAT32 it looks like a minefield with lots of conflicting ideas. Do you have any easy solutions.
Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:30 am

You are confusing file formats with disk formats. FAT32 is a disk format. MP4 is a file format. An MP4 file is quite happy living on a FAT32 disk or an NTFS disk.

Your problem is that the TV doesn't seem to accept MP4 files. You need to check the TV specs again to see what file types are supported - you may find that it supports WMA files which are the Microsoft format or possibly MP3 files rather than MP4 files. There are plenty of free programs that will convert from one format to another.

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:50 pm

I think I asked a similar question many moons ago.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31809&p=305355&hil ... ia#p305355

I found out since that the USB port on my Sony Bravia TV was a USB access for firmware/servicing and not for playing files movies directly from a flash drive. However I did have the option of playing from the USB port on my DVD Player through the TV as long as the movie file was saved with the suffix .avi. I tried this and found the movie continually pixilating, so I gave up in the end.

I dont have and Apple TV type option, so I just mirror my Mac onto the TV and play any movie files through Quicktime, which will play most movie formats. But drag and drop the file onto the Quicktime application for it to play.

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 pm

telboy wrote:
I dont have and Apple TV type option, so I just mirror my Mac onto the TV
terry

I assume your TV has a media share option so you can stream media from any PC to the TV. Is that how you do that?

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Sid

Yes! Forgot to mention that I use a HDMI to DVI mini cable to connect to to the TV, however, because my Macbook Pro is 4 years I needed to connect a cable to my HiFi or TV via the Mac earplug socket to obtain Audio. Audio as well as visual through a single mini HDMI to DVI was possible on later Macbook Pro models.

terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 pm

So it's a direct connection, not via WiFi.

That should usually work OK.

Sid