New Laptop.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
allgram
Resident

New Laptop.

Postby allgram » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 am

Hi , well after over 5 years in Spain our Acer laptop like me is getting old/slow/and full , so my wife and I have promised ourselves a new laptop , not much in the techie set we use our present one for connecting to printer and a scanner we have read about the new Windows that can be changed into English ( if we buy from our local shop , you can have 3 years full warranty and even 12 months interest free credit ) but what concerns me is the Spanish keyboard ,is it that much different from an English one ? could we manage ? advice would be most welcome .
Our daughter is coming over soon from the U.K. so she could bring one for us but the 3 years warranty appeals to us ,thank you and as said before advice would be most welcome.

allgram :?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Laptop.

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 am

It's really not a problem.

All the normal keys are in the same place. You will soon get used to having the @ and € keys in a different place. You can also remap the keys if you want to.

I would go for the local option, particularly as it has the warranty - imported ones sometimes have warranty limitations.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 am

Hi allgram,
Spend an hour or so and tidy up your current system.
You will probably find loads of processes that have sneaked under the radar and don't need to be running.
The reason for the delay in purchasing a new system...Windows 10 is just around the corner and looks to have sorted out the hash that's Windows 8.1.

If you're running Windows 7 then you have a good OS.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:45 am

Totally top advice, if Enrique can help you make your current laptop last a few more months then that'd be great. Don't get a Win8 machine, horrific OS and the most frustrating piece of cack I've ever invested in.

I then speeded up my old 7 laptop and have used it since. The Win 8 machine is now just a Spotify streamer, and even then only when it feels like doing it :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 am

Personally I would keep the laptop you already have.
Increase the amount of RAM, consider a SSD hard drive, re install Windows and re install the programs you actually need and use.
Windows 8 is not as bad as some people say.
A few minutes spent installing the classic start button and setting it up to always boot into the desktop and you won't notice much difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7.
Windows 10 is rumoured to be released later next year.
Windows 10 Technical preview is now available to test for those of us who feel brave.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 am

A few minutes spent installing the classic start button and setting it up to always boot into the desktop and you won't notice much difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7.
Speaking as one of the "some people" Gerry, I've done all that (and more) and there's a big difference between win 7 and 8 in my mind.
It's a 500 quid Toshiba I have, took it back to the shop after 3 days as it was so naff and insisted on a swap. They gave me the next model up and it was just as poor.
Not worth swapping it again really so I kept it, especially after reading on forums and on here how dire and notchy Win 8 was. It obviously was not the laptops fault.

They swapped a smooth hassle free OS for this, it beggars belief. Win 95 is less hassle :mrgreen:
Here's hoping Win 10 is Win 7 in disguise!!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

The other funny thing is unlike any other windows OS is that when you speak to any of the few people who rate Win 8 they always say "Oh just do that, do this, change that etc.". You shouldn't have to, it should work out of the box and behave itself.
I still haven't got the magic formula which stops the hateful thing asking me to log in, I've tried eye of newt and wing of bat etc. but nowt works.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 am

Hi DA
I'm not familiar with W8 but this works for Vista and W7.
Have you tried setting your password to the null string ("")? Just hit return when asked for your new password!
Graham

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks Graham, I'll try that. Do I use the brackets as well ie. exactly this ("")

There is a longwinded and complicated fix for this on the web which I've tried from time to time but old Winny 8 doesn't take kindly to you cramping its style, and just carries on as is :mrgreen:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:48 am

Hi DA,
Have you used this newt..............

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to- ... matically/

Added::...Just tried it on a Windows 7 system and it works a treat..........

:D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 am

Enrique wrote:Hi DA,
Have you used this newt..............

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to- ... matically/

Added::...Just tried it on a Windows 7 system and it works a treat..........

:D
Thanks Enrique, I've just followed the instructions and everything worked like a dream, and just as the info. described.

Then I fired "windows hate" back up again and it just sneered at me!! Password or bog off once more I was told :roll:

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Thanks Graham, I'll try that. Do I use the brackets as well ie. exactly this ("")
No DA - just hit the return key.
Graham

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 am

Worked for me on my 3 windows 8.1 computers. Thanks Enrique!
I like windows 8 and I think it's essential on a touch screen.
A friend didn't upgrade and his touch screen is really clumsy using Windows 7.
I ungraded an old vista touch screen and it got a new lease of life.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am

Devils Advocate wrote:The other funny thing is unlike any other windows OS is that when you speak to any of the few people who rate Win 8 they always say "Oh just do that, do this, change that etc.". You shouldn't have to, it should work out of the box and behave itself.
I couldn't agree with you more, Windows 8 is simply appalling and deserves it reputation, whether it be from an expert or just a day to day user.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:57 am

Update, just restarted the win8 laptop and the fix has worked Enrique. Thanks for that.

To the OP, do try and hang on for win 10.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:06 pm

If you put the system to sleep............check Power Settings on Wake up...they will be set to Password needed.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:30 pm

I don't understand what the problem is with Windows 8.1. Any time you want to, it can be used in the same way as a Windows 7.
I admit that Windows 8 was missing some key short cuts but Windows 8.1 has them and more.
A right click on the windows logo at the bottom left hand corner throws up more than Windows 7 did.
The start menu is more or less the same but with tiles instead of a list.
And some APPs work better than in program form.
Although if you are using it on a normal computer, I can understand that window 7 might be better

Didn't I read somewhere that Windows 10 will be free for Computers with Windows 7 and 8?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:37 pm

markwilding wrote:

Didn't I read somewhere that Windows 10 will be free for Computers with Windows 7 and 8?
That wouldn't surprise me - Microsoft are beginning to realise that if their competitors can do it they will have to follow.

Apple has been giving away their OSX version upgrades for some time now and they also now give away their office apps. As a result, MS has now started giving away MS Office for the iPad.

The problem for MS is that, unlike Apple, they don't have the huge hardware revenue stream to make up for that and they have been having a bad time with their initial tablet offerings and Windows phones have hardly been a success story.

If they don't sort out Windows pretty soon they will be in very serious trouble.

Sid

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 am

Thank you all very much for your replies , so , we have decided to wait until Windows 10 comes out , hopefully before our current laptop gives up , once again thank you .

allgram.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:52 am

markwilding wrote:
The rumour is that Windows 7 users will have to pay around 15 euros and Windows 8 users will get it free.
It would be interesting to know how many of those against Windows 8 actually have it.

As far as I can see, only Gerry, DA and my good self are using it.

Unless you are going to follow Enrique's advice and tune up your old one, I wouldn't wait because you'll get the upgrade anyway. If not, you are going to suffer another year with a slow computer.