itv live streaming

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

itv live streaming

Postby snorbs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:24 pm

have been using the itv player for several months for live tv (Uk apps on my samsung smart tv gr8 for catch up) now and getting fed up with performance issues with the itv player
BBC iplayer generally ok for live tv
are these MX IPTV boxes the solution?
if so do i need to pay ongoing subscription fee?

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Re: itv live streaming

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:47 pm

are these MX IPTV boxes the solution?
if so do i need to pay ongoing subscription fee?

I have 2 IPTV boxes, 1 x MX and 1 quad core Minix box. The Minix is far better than the MX but I suppose it depends how old the boxes are as improvements are always being made. Other than geographical masking (I use a VPN Router) there are no other ongoing charges. Performance is of course dependent on your internet speed and quality, both boxes have onboard storage should you need to download, but only to the internal storeage (without rooting the box), both also accept SD cards for playback of recorded content (photos, music, films etc.) They are also ideal for watching all the TV series (I have just finished the 4th series of Game of Thrones :oops:)
Hope this helps.
I am not GerryH
Gerry

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm

hi gerry, thanks for the feedback our internet connection is ok , where is best to buy the box - amazon?

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Amazon UK and ES have them (Minix X8) mine is a Minix X7. You could try Minix-Europe.com, they are based in Germany and have the Air Mouse at a far better price than Amazon. The remote that comes with most IPTV boxes is normally one up from useless. The Air Mouse you use like your finger on a touch screen.
The company I got my Minix from( UK ) has not got any in stock at the moment. They are now cheaper than when I purchased mine in Oct 2013.
Point to note, at the moment 4OD and Demand5 are not currently supported. On the MX box ITV player does not work but STV player does :!:

Happy to answer any FAQs you may have.

Gerry
Gerry

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 pm

I use the little NOW TV box
Perfect results on both catch up and live ITV, cost from £9.99 - 19.99.
I'm using Unblock-Us smart DNS server, all the apps work, BBC, 4OD and 5 work in decent quality.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am

Mark,
Interesting, Sounds like an economical box. Perhaps snorbs will want more info.

Gerry
Gerry

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I have one of the 'generic' android tv boxes that you can get from Amazon amongst other places. Decent spec hardware. Quadcore 1.6Ghz RK3188 chipset 2/8Gb ram.. For the princely sum of £39. Search Amazon for 'android TV box' and you'll see the generic devices

Works a treat with the players for live TV streaming or streaming other content with XBMC/Genesis.

For input I use a normal wireless PC keyboard and mouse as I find the airmouse is a little tricky to keep stable when clicking to select an item, and the keyboard is tiny.

With XBMC a couple of entries in the mouse.xml file give me context menu by clicking the wheel and volume up/down by scrolling the wheel. All I really need is the mouse within reach for normal operation of XBMC/players. The only time I need other remote controls is when watching BBC/ITV players as the volume is way down low and I need to crank up my cinema amp some to compensate.
Regards

Bob

DAVEGILLY
Tourist

Postby DAVEGILLY » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:36 pm

I will be bringing over an ANDROID MX tv box in January to try get my English tv back up and running now my SKY dish has been switched off.
Can anyone advise best internet so as I can receive the pre-programmed channels on the box.
Should have Sky SPORTS and BT already to go installed.
Sorry if I have missed any previous threads but new to this site, so any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

DAVEGILLY

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Dave,

It will be difficult to advise you without knowing the area in which you will be living. Do you have access to ADSL or do you live in the campo with a wet string telephone line (or no line at all)?

Personally I have no access to telephone lines and therefore use a WiMax connection. This is similar to receiving a TV signal through an antenna (aerial).

Once your location is known I am sure someone from your area will respond and offer some suggestions.
Gerry

DAVEGILLY
Tourist

Postby DAVEGILLY » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks Gerry
Have an apartment in La Herradura. I have a dish that's on the roof but unfortunately only picks up the rubbish channels.
Would really like to have a go at redirecting the dish to the sat that's near Gib and buying a one off receiver.
Think its a bit steep to pay over 200€ for someone to move the dish a few inches ??????? and supply a receiver with a monthly charge.
I noticed in the forums EL CID who seems clued up on what would be required and lives in La H.
I have just tried a wifi pre-programmed box here in the uk.
Think its not too straight forward to anyone using my place, so want a sat rec. that's easy to understand and get the U.K. soaps etc.
Any advice help gratefully accepted.

DAVE

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Dave,
There are no sat's near Gib, I think you are talking about Intel Sat 907. Suggest you view the Intel Sat 907 topic on this site. You will find it is moving the dish more than a few inches!! Once done there are no ongoing charges, but the forum will identify to you the pro,s and con,s.
Browse on!
Gerry
Gerry

DAVEGILLY
Tourist

Postby DAVEGILLY » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks Gerry,
Have found the Intelsat thread, much appreciated.
Seems a lot of confusion as to what is best to replace the old SKY system.
I need a system that is straight forward for OAP'S that use my apartment.
Think the Android box is a little to confusing for people not used to dealing with this sort of communication.
Also looking for a simple and straight forward PAYG internet service for basic emails and web surfing.
Any advice would be of great help.

DAVE G.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:11 pm

markwilding wrote:I use the little NOW TV box
Perfect results on both catch up and live ITV, cost from £9.99 - 19.99.
Just to clarify - that's subscription fees, not the cost of buying the box, right?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

No, that's the cost of the box.
£9.99 for the box. you pay more if you want some sort of SKY package.

There aren't any subscription costs for the free UK channels.

It is possible to subscribe to the SKY channels but not necessary.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Absolute steal at £9.99 to get the UK players.

If only it had a backwards/forwards epg...................

However they will only ship to the UK, which may be a problem for some.
Last edited by casita-bonita on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Bob

snorbs
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby snorbs » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:50 pm

agreed, however the process to change router settings looked too techy for me...
if anyone has done this on a movistar latest model router would like to know how challenging it is to achieve

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:55 pm

I had a quick look at the unblock-us website (the service Mark uses) and their instructions here http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/ look pretty fool proof.
Just to clarify - to use the Now TV box in Spain, you will have to subscribe to a smart DNS service such as this, right?
If the quality/reliability is better than Filmon, it may well be worth a fiver or so a month.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes,
The only way to be able to use it is with a VPN or DNS set up in the router,
Only ITV offer free live telly at the moment. Although using the BBC sport app, there is live sport as well.

When you pay the monthly fees you have access to more live TV from sky including the movie channels, Sky 1, Atlantic, ITV encore Gold and quite a few more. I have dipped in and paid for the odd months viewing and taken up Sky's free month offer and everything works well.

Having said that, why would anybody want to be a slave to times? I prefer to watch what I want when I want as I have limited time to watch TV.

I watch live TV only now and again, really only Sport, I hate the typical Saturday night fare on most channels so instead of watching The X factor and the like, I'm watching programmes I've missed through the week so it works out for me well.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Is a VPN or DNS the same as having a uk ip address. IE I use BB4S and they provide a uk ip address. I assume i would be OK with this and NowTV?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:27 pm

VPN is a UK IP address, Smart DNS fools the servers into believing that you have a UK IP address.

If BB4S provide a UK IP address then that *should* be ok.
Regards

Bob