Sky Go

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
morlandg
Resident

Sky Go

Postby morlandg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 pm

There's a guy advertising Sky Go on PC and is charging 6 GBP for setup and 16 GBP per month for Sky Sports package. Payment is via Paypal. My problem is my exit strategy - can I cancel the monthly Paypal subscription easily?
Graham

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sky Go

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:36 pm

A little more information is needed.
What is included in the package? On what platform can you watch it?

Something similar is possible with NOW TV, which you can set up yourself and there aren't any contracts.

Again depending on what he's offering, these days there are cheaper alternatives such as Netflix.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:43 pm

Mark - the full info is available on his website:
http://cheapaccountz.info/Sky-go-tv-no- ... PFCuD.dpbs
I hope this does not break any forum rules!!
Graham

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Just wondering how he can state this service is legal, when he's selling you something that is not his to sell??

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:09 pm

I would be interested to see how they do this profitably.

As far as I know, the only way you can get Sky Go is if you have the relevant Sky sub. Each subscriber is only allowed two devices using Sky Go at any one time. So, someone must be paying the full Sky sub which with Sky Sports is over £40 as far as I remember.

It is possible to "sublet" your Sky Go connections, but I can't see how that could be profitable. I use a friends Sky details to get Sky Go. That seems the best way to get it for free.

Also, there are plenty of better ways to get Sky without paying an exorbitant monthly fee.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:42 pm

£19 for the Movie/sports channels and the rest is really cheap. Sky's own website advertises it for £40 pounds and that doesn't include the cost of the VPN
Often when something looks to good to be true, it often is.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:49 pm

I think Cid has hit the nail...

There is probably a sky card agent in the UK, who has accounts for people who do not have their own uk address or bank accounts , so those clients pay a fee each year to use one of that agents uk addresses and account details.

This means that the agent could also have plenty of sky go accounts that can be set up for those sky tv accounts...

So basically the card agent may be getting a sky tv payment and now a sky go payment for the two parts of one sky account that he has under his own control....

nice little earner....

so yes, it will be some form of "sub letting" sky tv account details for sky go purposes....
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:04 pm

markwilding wrote:
Often when something looks to good to be true, it often is.
Don't forget that the quality of picture you will get on Sky Go via the Internet is not as good as you would get from a Sky receiver and dish. Also on an iPad you cannot stream using Airplay - Sky have crippled that feature.

If you must have an Internet solution, most decent IPTV server systems offer the BBC, ITV, C4 channels plus most of the Sky channels for less than this offer.

Sid

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks to all. I think I will keep an eye on him and see what develops!
G

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 am

Does anybody know If it is possible to use the Iplayer, ITV players or NOW TV here in Spain on the SKY HD box with a Smart DNS?

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Don't know about Smart DNS, but I have a Sky HD Box connected through a VPN Router and Catchup works fine. My Sky Box has built in WiFi, but would be interested in the Now Box responses for a friend.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:47 pm

I have a NOW box and it all works fine, including all the pay services from SKY using UnblockUs smart DNS.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Presumably you have today for the "pay services" - how much?

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Entertainment month pass.£6.99
Sky 1, Sky Arts 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel. Disney Channel, Fox, Gold
ITV Encore, MTV, Nickelodeon[12], Nick Jr., ABC Studios....... All live (except ABC) and Catch up

Sky Movies month pass £9.99
Sky Movies Action & Adventure, Sky Movies Comedy, Sky Movies Crime & Thriller, Sky Movies Disney, SkyMovies Drama & Romance, Sky Movies Family. Sky Movies Premiere, Sky Movies Sci-Fi & Horror
Sky Movies Select, Sky Movies Showcase .Sky Movies Christmas....... All live and Catch up,

Sky Sports day pass £6.99
Sports channels offer live streaming only.
Sky Sports News HQ, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports 4, Sky Sports 5, Sky Sports F1

They all work on the Apple TV as well.You can dip in and out as you please as there are no contracts.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Well you could buy a Skybox or equivalent on eBay for £80 and get all the Sky premium SD channels and ESPN and BT Sports in HD included for no monthly charge - assuming you still have a Sky dish - or so I am told. Personally I am happy with BBC and ITV on Intelsat 907.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Then you are back to using illegal methods again to obtain SKY.

There is a fundamental difference between SKY GO and NOW TV

Sky go is for Sky existing subscribers with a satellite system to watch through various other platforms so in effect it's not necessary to stream onto the TV.

On the other hand, the Now TV box( there are other versions, for example on the Apple TV with no BBC or ITV apps) is for those who don't want to subscribe every month while wanting the flexibilty of dipping in and out but don't have a satellite receiver so the possibility to watch on the big screen is there with the added bonus of having the catch up services from the terrestrial broadcasters and high quality ITV live .

For me it's a no-brainer. It's much better than paying up to 125 Euros for an Android box. Not only that, the quality is far superior for the sum of for 10 quid. Basically, it's the ROKU box subsidized by SKY.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:38 pm

markwilding wrote:...and high quality ITV live
I have never heard the terms "itv" and "high quality" together before :mrgreen:
programme wise - certainly not high quality.
and as for itv and "hd", even their flagship daytime programmes this morning and loose women are not in HD!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Ok,
Relatively speaking, much much better than Filmon. Sort of normal definition, DVD quality,up-scaled to 720p.

This Morning and Loose women are not my cup of tea but the live football is perfectly acceptable.

I wouldn't pretend it's as good as High Definition Satellite either but it's a good second place and only costs £9.99.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:23 pm

markwilding wrote:Then you are back to using illegal methods again to obtain SKY.
Using Sky Go outside the UK is in breach of your Sky contract.

So that makes it illegal in the UK Civil Law sense.

It's a bit pedantic to argue the pros and cons from a legal point of view on any of the Sky options available, by whatever method, in Spain.

Also remember that using these methods to receive Sky in Spain is not necessarily illegal under Spanish law, which is what we are bound by, not British law, civil or otherwise.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I wasn't talking about SKY go

But this
El Cid wrote:Well you could buy a Skybox or equivalent on eBay for £80 and get all the Sky premium SD channels and ESPN and BT Sports in HD included for no monthly charge Sid