Live BBC TV on Now TV

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Live BBC TV on Now TV

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 pm

I've found a way of getting the live BBC channels through NOW TV.

To do it you need to download PLEX MEDIA SERVER to your computer and create an account etc.

When it's all set up go to the channels link on the right and on the new page click into the install channels button.

For me the Iplayer App comes up almost first but if it doesn't just click into categories to the left, then TV.
Click into the icon and it will install.

Here are the instructions to enable you to install the PLEX app onto the Now TV box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQBcbVLWZc

Don't worry, because all you're doing is downloading an official ROKU app which is not available in the NOW App store and the whole process takes less than 2 minutes.
Once it's all done, press the home button on the Now TV remote and the PLEX app will be there, open it and look for your BBC app.
The Iplayer has all the catchup stuff, which in this case is not needed, just navigate to live TV.
I'm getting a good quality stream but it would be interesting to know if it still works fine with slower speeds.
Apart from this, you now have a very good Media server on your NOW TV box

This little £19.99 box just gets better

Sid's original NOW TV thread is here
http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=34157

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Live BBC TV on Now TV

Postby ashtondav » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Why on earth is plex not available in the nowtv app store?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:18 pm

I have Chromecast and read that I can get NowTV
http://help.nowtv.com/article/Using-Chromecast
What does this all mean ?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:47 pm

It means you don't need a nowtv box, you simply connect to chromecast with your android or apple phone, tablet or computer and navigate to what you want to see.

Good news for owners of LG tv sets (among others) which cannot be re-coded to receive UK apps.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

There are difficulties getting UK TV on a Chromecast especially using a supported App. A VPN is normally needed and flashed onto the router.
Anyway, the reason why the Now Tv box is a good option for ex-pats is the Iplayer,ITV player etc.
The Sky stuff is available on other platforms I have such as Apple TV.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:03 pm

So with NowTV I would not need a VPN for iPlayer. I just buy the NowTV box and plug it in and then do the PLEX MEDIA SERVER as explained above ?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't understand Mark on this. You need a vpn or DNS if you use the nowtv box as well AFAIU. Confused.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Yes, you must use a VPN or Smart DNS. This has to be entered into the router as the NowTV box has no facility for changing any of the Internet settings within the box.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 pm

ashtondav wrote:I don't understand Mark on this. You need a vpn or DNS if you use the nowtv box as well AFAIU. Confused.
1, Watching Now Tv via Chromecast might be impossible outside the UK even with a DNS sever unless you flash the router.
2, Now tv via Chromecast will not offer the freeview catchup apps such as the Iplayer
3 The Now tv box is the option which includes the Iplayer etc and as Sid says also requirers the DNS settings entered into the router even when using Plex.

I'm in London until Saturday. When I return I'll try plex on the Chromecast to see if it works with the Iplayer.

Btw, the new Channel 4 app has appeared on my iPhone and iPad. Obviously, here in London it's working fine. Anybody used the the app in Spain yet?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:19 pm

There is a new version of plex, currently under preview for their premium pass customers. I have heard that this may not be compatible for some nowtv boxes as they are based on an older version of the roku box.

Two questions:

Is it worth waiting (as the plex app will not automatically update on a nowtv?)

If the new version is not compatible with nowtv, will it be OK to use the current version?

Also, of course, Plex may charge for the new download.

To be honest i would now like a view on whether buy now tv 720p at £20 (minimum realsitic price as bundled with stuff i don't want) when for about £40 i can buy a roku 2 1080p on ebay. But does Roku 2 support itvplayer and 4od, as does roku 3?

As an aside i've just noticed i can download the plex app to my samsung smart tv via the samsung apps in smart hub

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Try Plex on your Samsung TV and tell us how you get on.
As far as the Roku is concerned, You need to make sure your internet speeds are up to it.
There are rumours that a new 1080p Now TV box is coming out soon as well

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:59 pm

I loaded plex on the samsung and there's no "channels" option. Simply: Quit, Preferences, Shared Content, Queue and Recommended - none of which lead to any way to add iplayer. And it player has no option to watch live. I have the filmon app loaded and watch live on that but the quality is poor, compared to the station apps. Probably because filmon doesn't exist in the samsung App Store so I have to access it via a browser. Live BBC is better, using the browser to access bbc home page, but buffering is then a problem. Grrrrrrrrrr.....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Plex needs to be streamed from your computer so you need to download the Iplayer app on that first.

baroness
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby baroness » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi, I use PLEX alot on my Samsung tv. It stores, sorts, plays and even deletes all my American tv downloads (torrents) all by just using the tv remote. The BBC iplayer channel though is not up to much. The catchup tv works, but not as well as the BBC app on the Samsung hub. As for live tv, the selected channel just does not load (it just reports a problem conecting to server). This is with a "hit or miss" 7Meg from jetnet (Wimax) internet service. I still rate the plex app quite highly though.
Live tv appears to have gone from the NOW box "allfour" app. To get live tv on my Now box (for second tv) I use the "plat to lite" app which is availiable for both the NOW box and any Android tab or phone, then transmit filmon to the NOW box.
I hope this helps, jeff

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 pm

I think the channel 4 app has just been re branded on every device except Apple and on a PC browser, where they have been completely updated.
The other Apps are due an update and I'm hoping when NOW TV gets it, it will include live TV. We will just have to wait and see.