Expensive internet. Why?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Expensive internet. Why?

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Why is internet so expensive in Spain? Beach recommended fusion to me but I do not need a mobile as i have 2, I do not need tv. All I want is line and internet and i think €42 a month is a lot for 3mb max guaranteed. At todays exchange rate its not too bad but if the rate goes south then its bloody expensive.

I get 40MB infinity for £21 a month unlimited in the UK.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Expensive internet. Why?

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Lots of things are cheaper in Spain - Internet isn't one of them. There's more serious competition in the UK from Sky, BT and Virgin.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Ah Virgin internet - I remember it well, fast downloads, no need for phone line etc. But here , well I reckon I save the difference in the price of wine and beer! :lolno:
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 pm

It isn't that expensive everywhere. We get 20mb unlimited for €18 per month, IVA included, from a local company which also supplies cable TV and phone. Aren't there any cable TV companies in Rincón?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Fibre optic, as well as being available in Málaga capital, is also being rolled out to more and more areas of the Costa del Sol. This company supplies it, and their prices don't seem too bad:-

http://www.wikiker.com/

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:28 pm

I seriously doubt if I will ever get cable/ fibre optic where I live.
We don't all live in towns or urbanisations.
And yes, in reply to Costakid's question, internet is expensive here mainly because of lack of competition.
But as Fyfin said, wine is cheaper here and the sunshine is free. :thumbup: Hic
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Now frustrated. New router installed download speed around 7 mps and upload about .6 but stability is more important. BUT I want to configure my router i.e. change password etc which should be easy enough 192.168.1.1 but then it asks for a configuration password. The only password I can see is the security key which I used to connect but it's not that and it doesn't appear to be any other number or letters on the sticker either so don't know what else to try. Admittedly I haven't tried the mac code as I didn't think it would be that but I'll do that next. Anybody had a nice new Moviestar router and know the answer.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Just tried the Mac code and of course it's not!!!! :roll:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Try admin admin or 1234 1234

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Read the bloody manual you idiot - note to self. lol. I was emailed a link by Movifresh and didn't spot it. It's 1234.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:29 am

Since unwittingly upgrading my Fusion contract to include TV (which I don't want), an extra GB of mobile data that I don't need, and up to 20 mbps ADSl which they promised but now deny and according to their engineer cannot provide on my line anyway, (breath!) I can no longer access my router via the above method. Apparently something to do with TV being included. The only way into it now is via their website at https://www.movistar.es/particulares/in ... alejandra/. You have to register online first of course.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:40 am

Free at Last wrote:It isn't that expensive everywhere. We get 20mb unlimited for €18 per month, IVA included, from a local company which also supplies cable TV and phone. Aren't there any cable TV companies in Rincón?
I agree,
It might be expensive in certain areas of Spain but it certainly isn't expensive everywhere.
I pay 24.90 for 250mb unlimited. Having a download restriction would be a pain in the bum, which I believe to be quite common in the UK.

Living away from urban areas will always be a problem, even in the UK.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Rincon is not exactly urban, its a proper working town but no competition so expensive and slow internet.
Wikiki do not cover Malaga este.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

:wtf: You think 42€ a month for 3mb is expensive :!: How about 56€ a month for UPTO 3mb NOT GUARANTEED thats with Iberbanda, they and Tooway more or less rule the roost in our inland campo area.

terry

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:29 pm

There is so much competition in the UK, Broadband is often available for free, or even cheaper!

Last year I paid (Plusnet) £3 a month, plus £6 p&p for the router but got £35 cashback, so total cost was £7 for the year.

This year when I phoned up to negotiate a better deal, I was offered £2.50 a month plus a £75 Amazon voucher - so this year I am effectively being paid £45 to use their broadband. :thumbup:

Line rental is NOT cheap in the UK (I pay £156 for the year), and that is how they make their money.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 am

Wimax is pretty much the only technology available in rural areas. 4-6 mbit seems like the maximum they offer though which sucks.

http://www.iberbandainenglish.com/
http://www.europa-network.com/wimax/

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:50 am

This might be an interesting option:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/wifi- ... d-3435765/

Not fibre but a good in between.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Flexo wrote:Wimax is pretty much the only technology available in rural areas.
Wimax is not available in the rural area I live in.
What about satellite systems such as provided by Tooway?
As long as you you have a clear view of the sky in a south east direction you can use it.
20Mbs download, 6 Mbs upload.
Works anywhere in Spain, rural or otherwise..
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Yeah, see my second post :P

I think it is more expensive than Wimax though but I haven't shopped around yet. I guess I will end up with Satellite when I build my own casa.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:11 pm

I think Jetnet WIMAX is also an option in our area (campo) as long as you can see one of their masts. Not for us though, I did put in a request to Jetnet before I upgraded to with Iberbandas 3mb option, I sent in my precise house co-ordinates, they told me there was no mast within my view. :thumbdown:

terry