Windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Windows 10

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Windows 10 is is going to be released on the 29th July. There will be little icon at the bottom right hand side of the computer screen, which when opened will show how to automatically download it on the day. Mine has already appeared.

Whether or not you upgrade on the day will depend if you prefer to wait a while for some of the bugs to be ironed out or if you can't be bothered to wait.

fyfin
Resident

Re: Windows 10

Postby fyfin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I got it - you click on it to say you want it when it's available.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:57 pm

It seems to be widespread on suitable systems for upgrade this morning. Decisions, decisions....

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Thankfully I'm a mac user but I have to help colleagues out with their windows machines. I don't care if W10 is buggy, it's going on ASAP. Windows 8 is the worst o/s ever! I'm watching Arrow at the moment and the most unrealistic thing about it is Felicity manages to do all her IT stuff with it ;)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I have been using the pre release version of Windows 10 for a few months.
Each new release adds more features and irons out any bugs although as far as I am concerned it has been bug free and rock solid.
I'll have to log onto one of my other machines that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 systems to see if I get the icon telling me about the upgrade.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:45 pm

how does it compare to 8 Gerry?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Personally I've never had a problem with Win 8, I use on one of my laptops.
Ok, when it first came out the desktop screen was rather strange and needed getting used to.
However a third party app restored the much loved start button and, since then, it's been OK.
Also have the same third party app on Windows 10 as I like the "traditional" start button.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

Presumably when you install W10, it will overwrite the existing OS? Or can you keep two OS's on the same machine, and switch back easily if you don't like the new one?
Having said that, is there any reason not to upgrade from W7?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 am

You can overwrite your existing OS if you want to but you can also set up a new partition for the new OS and load all your software onto it.
On my PC I have separate partitions for Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10 so I can boot into whichever one I want.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Like Gerry .. I've also been a pre release tester for windows 10.

Updating from Windows 7. I have a very high regard for windows 10 having Uninstalled windows 8.1 because of its issues on a PC.
Windows 10 has a much smaller foot print, so loads much faster and has most application that you need from the get go.
For any new adopters I would suggest that you just use the Apps supplied with it as original before you consider adding your own. things like antivirus or media players etc. are not really need since the built in ones are more than adequate.

The only thing to be aware off - is that whilst it doesn't take that long to Install windows 10 from a clean ( format c:\ ) start ... it does take a couple of days to 'do its thing', before it settles down and functions normally. Things like setting up your photo galleries and music albums etc

Once settled - you cant help to be impressed

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Don't think I have any space left for a new partition. So again, is there any reason not to overwrite? Presumably this will be the easier option anyway - I take it all my existing software, files, settings etc. will stay intact?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:43 pm

It should install keeping your existing settings and files. Upgrading from an older version of Windows, which wouldn't be free anyway, might need a clean install but not 7 or 8.1

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 pm

I have a PC running Windows 7 home Premium Service Pack 1
I have the little notice that says I can get Windows 10 free.
I am nervous about doing this becasue as far as I am concerned my current system works fine.
So really really (like Miro) need to know if I dare go ahead and accept Microsoft's kind offer. Or will this lead to a total messed up system ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:59 pm

I intend to download the upgrade when it becomes available but not install it for a few months. I understand that the free offer lasts until July 2016 so there is no rush. Let others be the guinea pigs.
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi,

Best to get an Image copy of your current system before doing the Upgrade.

As Beach points out no rush................... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Let others be the guinea pigs.
I believe that Win 10 preview is being used by quite a few people, over 1 million downloads in the first few days after it was launched a few months ago.
Win 10 has probably been the most user tested version of Windows that there ever has been.
Microsoft seem determined to get it right before it's official launch on 29th July.
To those who are worried about installing it, you can easily revert to your original version of Windows by running a restore from one of the backups you currently take of your present system.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Whilst Windows 10 will be free for a year, there seems to be some confusion on other forums over whether Microsoft will charge for future updates after the first 12 months. :wtf:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Microsoft say they will support it for the supported lifetime of the of the upgraded device.
It's not clear exactly what that means though.

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/mi ... windows-10

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 pm

SpanishBlue wrote:Whilst Windows 10 will be free for a year, there seems to be some confusion on other forums over whether Microsoft will charge for future updates after the first 12 months. :wtf:
Microsoft have finally realised that the world has changed around them.

Apple do not charge for any OS upgrades across all their devices. Android is the same. MS are now giving MS office away free on Apple and Android products. They are even encouraging developers to port Apple and Android apps to Windows. There is no way they can ever charge for Windows in the future.

It's called competition, something MS have not had before. Their real problem is that while Apple and Android manufacturers sell a huge amount of hardware, far more than MS could dream about, the new MS hardware products have a very long way to go - how many Windows phones or tablets have you ever seen?

If W10 is not a huge success there is every possibility that MS will not survive, not unlike IBM who missed the boat. However IBM had other markets that they could develop and they are now as big as they ever were. I cannot see anything that MS are doing that would give them a similar escape route.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:55 am

This icon has not being made available on my 8.1, is there anything I need to open to make this available.

Thanks