Windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Flexo
Resident

Re: Windows 10

Postby Flexo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 am

Miro wrote:I disabled all the aforementioned privacy settings during set up, but have read with interest the stuff on the issue of security. Sounds a bit worrying for sure, but is it really any worse than the information that the likes of Google and Facebook already routinely collect without the average punter really being aware?
Of course it is. You can disable javascript/ crossite scripting, not join facebook and choose what you enter into google but this gives Microsoft free access to everything you type or keep on your computer regardless if you encrypt it or not. In combination that Microsoft already owns Skype and probably log a significant part of all Skype conversations or at least the metadata it will provide Microsoft a way to map out your entire life and give it away to third parties whenever they feel like it.

People are blissfully ignorant about this but are you comfortable with a store you walk into are notified about web searches you made ten years ago? That is the reality right now as we speak for probably 95% of the people on this forum.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:12 am

Absolutely hit the nail on the head Flexo

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:24 am

Well then, why does anybody touch Win 10 even with a 20 metre barge pole if this info. about it is common knowledge? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:36 am

If MS are really really making money from this, it might explain why they can apparently afford to give it away.

If you stop and think about it, if 14 million people downloaded W10 on the first day (alledgedly!), and assuming that a typical price based on previous releases is $100, then they have just missed out on $1.5 billion!

Something is going to have to make up for that sort of drop in revenue.

Sid

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Flexo wrote:
Miro wrote: People are blissfully ignorant about this but are you comfortable with a store you walk into are notified about web searches you made ten years ago? That is the reality right now as we speak for probably 95% of the people on this forum.
Hola

I credit people with the intelligence to have moved on in ten years and tell the store to "GO AWAY" or similar.

Perhaps I'm a pig headed guy but I really don´t see the point of most adverts as if the object needs advertising then it is probably not worth buying

Davexf

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:01 pm

El Cid wrote: Something is going to have to make up for that sort of drop in revenue.
Advertising, perhaps? After all, Google seem to make enough money without retailing their OS.

Google have just announced a massive re-branding, the new holding company being called Alphabet with Google the largest subsidiary:

"Google’s founders are tired of and deeply embarrassed by the company’s core business. Selling ads, after all, is not a business that requires a PhD from Stanford or MIT – in fact, it’s so mind-numbingly banal and inelegant that all those brainy scientists on Google’s payroll must have an identity crisis every time they realise how their moonshot projects are actually financed. Google’s founders were never excited about advertising but were eventually forced to accept it as a necessary evil. Nearly 20 years in, they are no longer content with being mere traffickers of automatically generated ads.
Curing cancer or abolishing ageing, on the other hand, gives them the status of radical geeks that they have always aspired to be. Bill Gates, who in his philanthropic activities comes closest to embodying the romantic solutionist zeal of Google’s founders, has at least made his money by selling software. Google cannot even claim that much – at heart, it remains an advertising company that happens to employ a lot of computer scientists." http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ny-morozov

Perhaps MS are going in the opposite direction now - trying to increase their share of the advertising market. In the US, Bing has a decent share of internet search, but elsewhere it's barely made an impact (I think it's something like 5% in Europe) Everything I've read so far about these apparent privacy concerns with W10 seem to centre on Cortana and Bing, (neither of which I use anyway) and the information these services gather. Ultimately the goal is surely to deliver more target based advertising? This is what I meant when I suggested that Google & Facebook have been gathering similar information forever.

As for a store knowing what I searched for on the web 10 years ago - so what?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 pm

... another example of always checking up what you are signing up for before you do the installation:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/comp ... j0i98.html

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:52 pm

I don't really understand all these articles, they seem to suggest some kind of conspiracy which is either ridiculously paranoid or simply anti-Microsoft. This one seems typically irrelevant. It refers to internet users in remote Pacific islands who only have mobile internet access via satellite with monthly data limits. OK, some people here in the campo may be in the same position, so maybe not totally irrelevant, but seriously, when I upgraded my mobile from KitKat to Lolipop I got a warning first about large data downloads and was advised to use a WiFi connection - as in fact the article states Microsoft do too. If I had upgraded my Android system using my mobile connection I'm pretty sure I would have blown my monthly data allowance too, and yet I don't recall any articles blaming Google for causing people to receive massive bills.

Just out of interest, by the way, how many people here are upgrading a mobile device to W10? Or for that matter, using a mobile data connection on their PC?

Back to the subject of glitches - a couple of times now since upgrading I've gone to shut down, seen the shutting down screen and left the room, only to come back later to find the PC still running. Seems to have restarted instead of shutting down properly. Anyone else noticed this? :crazy:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Miro,
Yes did have that at one stage............so setup a shortcut with some Command line code.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=43

Then I had to reinstall due to another problem and its behaving as it should from the Shutdown
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:12 am

Miro wrote:I don't really understand all these articles, they seem to suggest some kind of conspiracy which is either ridiculously paranoid or simply anti-Microsoft. This one seems typically irrelevant.
The relevancy is that internet is extraordinary expensive in Spain and it is not unusual to have a max cap on free bandwidth and most people are not aware of how much the updates actually take in terms of bandwidth. Judging what I have read in this thread, most people here do not have the technical competence to make an intelligent decision on upgrading or not.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:22 am

Flexo wrote: Judging what I have read in this thread, most people here do not have the technical competence to make an intelligent decision on upgrading or not.
That is a rather insulting comment isn't it?
I think that there are several technical competent people on this forum.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 am

I think it's an EXTREMELY insulting comment!!! I've had far more INTELLIGENT advice from members of a.com than the vast majority of so-called 'experts' who do computers as a business. S'there. :evil:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:16 am

Another alleged security concern that seems to be getting a lot of press is WiFi Sense, which if you believe the doomsayers suggests that W10 automatically opens up your WiFi to the world. It doesn't. You have the option (you have to select it) to share your WiFi connection with all your contacts from apps such as Skype & Facebook. Since most people have hundreds of "friends" on Facebook these days, selecting this option would seem akin to posting your credit card details on Facebook, or simply leaving your WiFi open with no password access, for anyone in the vicinity to log on to. I think the vast majority of A.com members realise this would be a tad foolish.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:28 pm

It is not an insult given the time required to go through all the details. I have read this thread and it seems like the majority who did the upgrade did it to save 120 bucks for the upgrade. Well, it will cost you far more than 120 bucks to have a software consultant go over your computer if you screw anything up.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:41 pm

tjtops wrote:I think it's an EXTREMELY insulting comment!!! I've had far more INTELLIGENT advice from members of a.com than the vast majority of so-called 'experts' who do computers as a business. S'there. :evil:
Competence has nothing to do with intelligence.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Forgive me, but I'd have thought you had to be intelligent in order to be competent (in this instance!) However, even though I felt your original post was insulting to the many a.com members who are both intelligent AND competent, I don't feel a slanging match will benefit anyone.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:28 pm

tjtops wrote: I don't feel a slanging match will benefit anyone.
Agreed, we certainly don't need that, neither do we need aggressive posts that start the slanging match.

The site rules say that posts should be courteous and respectful of other posters. Let's keep it that way.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm

tjtops wrote:Forgive me, but I'd have thought you had to be intelligent in order to be competent (in this instance!) However, even though I felt your original post was insulting to the many a.com members who are both intelligent AND competent, I don't feel a slanging match will benefit anyone.
Maybe I wasn't clear. "Compentent in order to make an intelligent decision on wether upgrading or not" for me implies information, not intelligence. I can't really see any other meaning in that sentence, even though of course english is not my first language.

If I gave you three options: A. B. or C. without telling you anything else you wouldn't be able to make an intelligent decision, it would be a total gamble. In order to decide if you want to upgrade windows to a version 1.0 requires a pretty big deal of information and is not something that the average person does by reading a condensed news article about it. So, to reiterate, if you upgrade in order to save $120 and you will end up having to pay more than that for your telephone bill next time you are out travelling then no, you didn't do an intelligent decision, you made a typical "uninformed decision" of the type most of us make at a daily basis.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Just lighten up a bit, be nice to people and let's get back on topic please.

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Agree!
Well so far I have to say that I MUCH prefer W10.... the start up process, layout etc are so much better and more logical but perhaps more importantly, I'm finding (so far!!) that programs which used to consistently freeze and/or crash with W 8/8.1 are now working properly... so far so good!