Windows 10

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 10

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:59 am

An interesting and informative article regarding W10 latest issues

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... ash-loops/

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:34 am

Hi,
From your article................. "I wonder what the specific trigger condition is for this problem. It doesn't affect everybody. "

I'm currently looking at two systems that have the Patch and things are looking good...... :D

Interesting for me not many A.com Members posting on problems once they have installed Win 10.
One of my systems a Acer Atom Netbook with 2GB memory runs well. Started life with XP.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:45 am

This other article from the Forbes site is worth reading - "should I upgrade to W10?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... u-upgrade/

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi ,
From Sid's article.......a good Tip............

"Mark my words: Windows 10 is going to be great and you should eventually upgrade, but with a major update coming in October that’s the month I’d circle in my calendar."

So if you're on Win 7 stick with it ...........on Win 8/8.1 see above quote......probably be less hassle to Upgrade then.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Totally agree, Enrique.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with W7 and I cannot see one decent reason to upgrade unless you have a touch screen system and if you had, you would probably be on W8 anyway. People are getting carried away by the thought of a free upgrade when, in the past, they would never have dreamt of paying £100 for a new OS.

In my opinion, W8 was the worst OS that MS has ever brought out and it desperately needs to be upgraded and W10 is clearly the way to go, but, as you say, best to wait a couple of months unless you are desperate.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Interesting article, and the conclusion that users should wait a while is probably very sound advice. Having said that, I took the plunge (I'm pretty low down the techy-geek scale) and have had very issues.

As for the concern about Microsoft's possible ulterior motives for giving away W10 for free, perhaps this clears it up: "the Windows upgrade market is just a tiny slice of the company’s revenues (the vast majority comes from purchases of new PCs)". Makes sense - after all, Android isn't sold retail to end users, is it? But Google presumably still makes shed loads of dosh (one way or another) by supplying it to mobile manufacturers. If W10 convinces more people to buy Windows mobile devices, I guess it will pay off in the end.

One small glitch I mentioned previously, my PC rebooting instead of shutting down, I've read elsewhere of this happening, and one suggested (possible) solution is to disable fast startup via the power options in control panel. I'm a little reluctant to do that, because one of the most noticeable differences since upgrading from W7 is the speed at which my PC starts up and shuts down. Will wait and see...
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Miro,
For your Shutdown problem setup a short cut as I posted earlier, leaving Fast Start enabled.

Save you looking at Techy site.........

Right click on Desktop, New->shortcut in Type the location of the item

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 10

Next............ and you will have Icon Shutdown on Desktop

Sid: " W8 was the worst OS that MS has ever brought out "...and Vista........

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 pm

El Cid wrote:Totally agree, Enrique.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with W7 and I cannot see one decent reason to upgrade unless you have a touch screen system and if you had, you would probably be on W8 anyway. People are getting carried away by the thought of a free upgrade when, in the past, they would never have dreamt of paying £100 for a new OS.

In my opinion, W8 was the worst OS that MS has ever brought out and it desperately needs to be upgraded and W10 is clearly the way to go, but, as you say, best to wait a couple of months unless you are desperate.

Sid
Agree 100%
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Totally agree re W7...... why fix it if it ain't broke?! (Oh. Touch screens I guess.(But they got it horribly wrong with w8..... as they did with the late and unlamented Vista. If W10 works as well as w7 then I for one will be happy. And after reading the various posts I WILL wait to upgrade my netbook (from 8 to 10) so thanks guys :clap:
Last edited by tjtops on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
The whole experience was pretty painless. Now everything works, although I am waiting for Epson to update the drivers for their SX115 printer, but it still works using the old ones, and a bit of a workaround for the scanner.
I'm very happy that the swipe in from the left bug which was in W8.1 has gone. It used to drive me nuts and I could not switch it off.
I wonder if some people have had errors in the downloading of the W10 installation files, due to some of the iffy Internet connections encountered in Spain. Just a thought.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Is there an EASY way to stop the "It's time to upgrade" message appearing every 2 days?

I want to delay installing it for several weeks at least. The only option I seem to have is delaying it for another couple of days, which I have already done several times.

If I happen to be away from the computer when the message appears, a 60 minute countdown starts, and If I don't reschedule in that time, the upgrade starts automatically at the end of the 60 minutes.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Spanishblue,
Looking around there are ways but they seem a bit messy or there is my way............ :D
But first two questions...........

What OS version are you running and are you on an unlimited download link...... :?:

The reason for the last question is when you're ready you will have to download the Upgrade again.

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby SpanishBlue » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 am

Hi Enrique - I'm currently on Windows 7. I am on unlimited broadband, so downloading the update again is not a problem.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:43 am

I'm so thrilled at the improvement of W10 over W8/8.1 on my desktop compy that I'm seriously considering upgrading my netbook..... would you still advise waiting a couple of months or going ahead? It (a 6-month old Toshiba Satellite NB10T) really is SO SLOW IT DRIVES ME BONKERS :evil: :evil: IE and Google chrome keep freezing.....plus it won't system restore so if W10 might fix some of the problems it would be a massive improvement!

Basti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Basti » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 pm

I have 2 Laptops both Windows 7 and both a few years old. They were very sluggish, slow and often "not responding". I have downloaded Windows 10 on them and it`s now as if I have got 2 nearly new Laptops.
They boot up fast and performance is much better than before , also I have not found any problems by downloading it. So for me a real success story.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi ,
Some Answers................

SpanishBlue:: I've managed to create the scenario you have and I'm working on a procedure , as its on a Remote system I need someone on site to checkout the out come, so in the meantime please just reschedule your upgrade for the future .

tjtops:: Make an Image BACKUP of your system and go for the Upgrade, as I've Posted previously I install on a 6 year old Acer Atom Netbook and its a real treat to use.

Basti:: Good to hear you had a painless Upgrade .....they reckon upward of 55million have been done so far.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:33 pm

Here is an update on my Win 10 experiences.
I had a dual boot PC running Win 8.1 and Win 7. I have all my data another partition. Everything is backed up with Acronis TI Home onto a USB hard drive.
I created another partition and restored Win 8.1 onto it.
I signed up for Windows Insider and downloaded Win 10 pre release evaluation build to upgrade my Win 8.1 partition. I know had a triple boot system.
My preferred system was the Win 8.1 one but I found the Win 10 perfectly usable and used that as my preferred system.
Upgraded to each new build as it became available.
Build 10241 was issued a few days before July 29th and I believe this was the build of the public release on and after the 29th July.
I never encountered any problems with Win 10.
I downloaded the .iso file and save it to a pen drive.
I had a dual boot laptop running Win 8.1 and Win 7.
I deleted the Win 7 partition and did a clean install of Win 10 and re installed all my programs.
I also upgraded my Win 8.1 partition to Win 10.
Both the Win 10 partitions work OK and I haven't experience any problems.
My "insider" release on my PC has been updated to build 10525 earlier this week.
I am more than happy to continue using Win 10.
I did not decide to try Win 10 to save money.
I worked in a computer department for most of my working life the last few years was mainly evaluating new and different software.
I have used computers at home since 1983, first a Oric, then an Oric Atmos, then a Amiga 500 then an Amiga 1200 which I still used up to 2003.
I then built my 1st PC running Win XP.
I have used very version of Windows OS, except vista, since then.
I still like evaluating new and different software.

I have had one slight hitch with Win 10.
I have another laptop, currently running Win 7, that I use solely to control stage lighting and sound for theatrical performances. This only has the essentials installed to run lighting and sound. A crash or " I need to reboot" would be most embarrassing during a public performance.
The program I run is PCStage that uses a USB interface to output DMX which is the protocol that dimmer racks need to control lighting.
The program runs OK under Win 10 but the USB interface is not recognized.
The software, and drivers were written before Win XP was released. The developer was killed in a motorcycle accident so the software is no longer updated.
Same thing happens under in XP, Win 7 and Win 8.1 but when I point the "install driver" at the folder containing the drivers then they get installed OK.
However Win 10 says it can't find a suitable driver :thumbdown:

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm

tjtops:: Make an Image BACKUP of your system and go for the Upgrade, as I've Posted previously I install on a 6 year old Acer Atom Netbook and its a real treat to use.
Many thanks as always Enrique :clap:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi SpanishBlue,
Looks like I've cracked it.............I'll leave the system a few hours and write up the procedure.

Gerry:: Good to hear your computer ramble. I've a quad boot system Win 7 Win 10 and two Linux systems, was tricky as Windows kept insisting it was the only OS that would run on that system, got there in the end...... :D

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:17 pm

My experience with Windows 10 (1 of 2):
Upgraded a Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago now via the online invitation, on quite an old Lenovo laptop (2011 I think) that is still my daily computer. I'd been having issues with Windows 7 crashing on occasion so thought "why not?".

All seemed to be working OK after a couple of weeks, so backed up my personal files to Google Drive and did another 'clean install' of Windows 10 from a USB key. You need to download a MIcrosoft application to do this, "create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD". A clean install is a complete wipe of the hard drive and starting everything from zero with the new Windows 10 operating system, see this guide for hints, "How to Clean Install Windows 10". The clean install gives a more obvious option to turn off many of the 'call home' data-sharing features that people talk about. It's not always obvious what you are ticking though, and there's more to do once it has fully installed. See this guide, Everything You Need to Disable in Windows 10.