Android TV Solutions Macclesfield

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
luckyjim
Resident

Android TV Solutions Macclesfield

Postby luckyjim » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

Anyone on the forum who uses this company? Have you been in contact with David recently?

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Android TV Solutions Macclesfield

Postby ashtondav » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:44 pm

A very helpful man. But sadly I could never get the thing to deliver what i wanted - films in english and decent quality. I think he posts on here so may be able to update. Meanwhile my "box" gathers dust in the attic. I believe he is genuine and believes in his product and claims its designed for 70 year olds. Maybe he can explain my frustration. I now use Sh*sh on my smart Samsung. Works like a dream.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah we bought a box from him over a year ago. always very helpful if we have any trouble. never had any other boxes so cant comment on how it compaires to others

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:05 pm

The reason I posted was that I have a box and don't have any complaints. However have you tried to contact him recently? He seems to have disappeared completely. I even posted on his Facebook Page and nothing. Just interested to know if anyone has spoken to or had contact with him recently.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Macclesfield isn't a million miles away from where I live, & I've just googled Android TV solutions to see where he is based in Macc. There is an 0800 number if anyone needs it. His location is on the other side of Macc to me, but if I'm going there I will do a drive past & see if there's any sign of life !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks. It just seems very strange. To hear nothing from him or his son who works with him.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 am

He has a place in Portugal. He is probably on holiday.

I seem to remember this happened before.

Sid

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Just had an email from him, asking for payment of a bill which I paid in March. Very formal.

grumpfish
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby grumpfish » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:18 am

I know several people that had devices from this person. They found them not very easy to use and constantly needed to call him for support. Most of them change to MAG250 which is much easier to use.

G

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:34 am

As I said I don't have any problems, but did find him helpful if I did have a query of to update the apps if necessary. Hopefully it is that he just on his holidays. Funny that I can't get hold of his son Chris either.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 am

grumpfish wrote:I know several people that had devices from this person. They found them not very easy to use and constantly needed to call him for support. Most of them change to MAG250 which is much easier to use.
Many members here have been very satisfied with them, and not just on this forum but elsewhere. His support is usually very good as he offers Team Viewer support and controls the box remotely to sort out any problems - I don't know of any other companies that would do that unless you pay a fairly expensive monthly subscription.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:39 pm

Maybe all these boxes are complex. I just could not get what i wanted easily enough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:03 pm

The Android TV Solutions box was deliberately set up in the simplest form possible, with the main options being the 4 iPlayers, Filmon TV Catchup and Mobdru (for those who wanted a bit more).

There are loads of other apps and options on the box, but they obviously get more complicated, which is why the simple options, which satisfied 95% of the users, were about the only things on the home page - plus, of course, the VPN options which were built into the box on delivery.

I still have my box, but I no longer use it. Not because it is difficult to use, but because I now have better options such as Intelsat 907, NowTV and a Smart TV. That does everything I want, I have all the channels I need (plus about 500 that I don't want) and in the case of the satellite feed, full HD. All I pay for is a Smart DNS which cost less than €3/month. It all works flawlessly on a 2.5mb/s connection.

Sid

Bugwap
Tourist

Postby Bugwap » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi All :wave: :wave:

Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated !

Didn't realise we had our own little sub section in here (Thanks to Aunty Pat for the heads up- Etti & Ernie say woof )

Spotted a likely looking chap wandering about on Sunday when I returned from Spanish Doggy walking, should have said Hi

Firstly to those of you who have had problems getting in touch or receiving a response let me apologise. You know we are passionate about what we do but a combination of factors & technological breakdowns have left some of your requests unanswered.

Our answering system is working again as is our Spanish number. VPN renewal emails as a result of afore mentioned hardware failures are being duplicated sometimes too. Those of you whose VPN's have stopped connecting please contact us.

This has been noted on the website & we continue to work through the back log.

If anyone has a problem that has been ignored email us from the contact form on the website. Most queries can be answered in an email, fewer than 40% of customers require remote access supoort if they email the specific issue to us before hand.

I am going on holiday at the end of the month, we will be implementing a new portal on the website shortlty to keep you all appraised of issues relating to apps on the box.

******* isn't working won't come a surprise to us because several hundred of you will have already told us !

Letting you know, that we know en mass, & giving you an expected solution timescale we appreciate will be of use to you.

Thank you all for your continued support

David

MartinEB
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MartinEB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:40 am

El Cid wrote: His support is usually very good as he offers Team Viewer support and controls the box remotely to sort out any problems - I don't know of any other companies that would do that unless you pay a fairly expensive monthly subscription.
Sid
Gotta admit that remote support was one of the attractions, shame it has now changed and is only "free" for the first year and you have to pay for remote support from year two onwards (you do of course have a choice not to and although it is not much, it is a change to the T&C's that attracted us in the first place) :-(

http://androidtvsolutions.com/renewal-v ... customers/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:37 am

Fair comment, but in reality it is the first few months using a new system that you need help. After a year you should have sorted out your specific needs and can sit back and use it without too many problems.

Sid

Bugwap
Tourist

Postby Bugwap » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Continuing remote support is an expensive time consuming piece of the puzzle & in the real world, to quote one of my more northerly customers 'You don't get owt for nowt'

For those who choose not to pay, they will receive free email support explaining how to solve the problem.

Because the platform is continually adapting & improving costs are incurred, 50p per week currently to be exact :wtf:

David

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Android will always have this problem due to the fact the Play store is geo blocked and UK apps need to be updated either with a VPN on the system or router or remotely from a PC in Spain.

A smart DNS will not do it.

Alternately it can be updated remotely from the UK.

The problem is often that apps don't update automatically

Basically to update UK apps, sign in to Google play on you PC, go to my apps, find the app you want, click install or installed if you already own the app,
In the new window choose the device you want to install to and click into it. Your app will update remotely.

Some apps might require a VPN on your PC

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm

markwilding wrote: Basically to update UK apps, sign in to Google play on you PC,
If your Google account is set up with a "Spanish address" then you will find you cannot access the "UK apps".
I have two Google accounts , one of them is set up with a "UK address" so that I can access and install "UK apps" such as BBC iPlayer , Barclays bank etc.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Gerry,
I set up a UK account in Spain and even with the UK account it goes to the Spanish store. When I'm in the UK it goes to the UK store.
I can access the IPlayer app for updates as I already have it in my apps but when I try to access in the store. I can't.
If you search for the IPlayer in Google play, does it appear using your English account?