Anyone selling a subwoofer?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Anyone selling a subwoofer?

Postby johnr » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm looking for a decent, but not overly expensive, active subwoofer for hifi use (not home cinema). Please, nothing from a cheap 5.1 satellite system. If anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks, John

Chunky Monky
Resident

Re: Anyone selling a subwoofer?

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 am

Hi John

Perhaps if you gave some technical requirements for the Bass unit and if you want a top quality unit, somebody might be able to suggest the bo!!ocks of the dog! Woof Woof!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:36 am

Hi John, still wondering if your visit to ours is still on the cards this year? I still have some juicy gear here for you to see and listen to, some has now gone but more has come in, 3 rooms full of it :mrgreen:

And yes, I've a couple of big and quite trick active subs here. They are in the garage at present and have not been tried by me.
They were with a DIY lot I picked up. If the guys amps are anything to go by then these will be high end quality items no doubt.
You can have one for peanuts really.............you'd have to show me how to set them up though as I'm not a sub fan really.

All the best.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:39 am

I have a Yamaha, Down Firing, YST-FSW050....40Watts, the wife won't let me use it, says it makes the room too "Boomy". Open to offers!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 am

John, what are you using it with? The B&Ws?

Just thought, I've also a load of quality bass drivers here and horns if you liked, plus the gubbins for the active bits? A guy with your DIY skills could put a beauty together.......Easy to get to spain too, you just knock the cabinets up. Go on stick a big Audiom 60 in one :mrgreen:

Having said that, CB's offer may be more wife friendly :mrgreen:

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:10 pm

country boy wrote:I have a Yamaha, Down Firing, YST-FSW050....40Watts, the wife won't let me use it, says it makes the room too "Boomy". Open to offers!
Thanks Country boy but that's not suitable for my hifi needs.

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:John, what are you using it with? The B&Ws?

Just thought, I've also a load of quality bass drivers here and horns if you liked, plus the gubbins for the active bits? A guy with your DIY skills could put a beauty together.......Easy to get to spain too, you just knock the cabinets up. Go on stick a big Audiom 60 in one :mrgreen:

Having said that, CB's offer may be more wife friendly :mrgreen:
Hi DA,

Yes, the visit is still on for sure and I'm conscious you'll be selling things in the meantime! I've just not been over for a while. I should be over in September.

And yes, they are for use with the DM5s. I'm using an old cheap Gale 10 (?) sub at the moment that I've had for years but never really used. As you know the DM5s lack bass and the sub makes a huge difference. But I know it's a crappy cheap sub and now I want something a bit more special - without being silly - the usual ;)

I did consider making my own, and that may be a good idea. Obviously easy enough in terms of building a cabinet, just not sure about the sound quality - ie, building it to make the best of the speaker. I guess some research would be needed. I don't want to go to the trouble of making something that looks nice but doesn't work very well.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 pm

My neighbour has a dachshund. Is that a sub-woofer?
Sorry. While we're on the subject, I'm looking for an amp/speaker. 50 watts and up.
Dave

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:53 am

That's good John, just let me know when you're over, there'll still be loads here to see.
Are you driving across or flying? I'm just thinking transport may be an issue if there's something here you fancy.
If you have transport there's a few ideas I have for sorting this bass issue.

I'll post a pic of the sub I have in mind later, it is completed but needs to be veneered or finished to your liking, maybe even wrap it.....I may even fire it up when I have time and get my head around how I'd connect it.
If there's anything else you fancy give me a shout and I'll try and source it before you get over, prices are down at the moment whilst summer is here...........picked up a mint set of Isobariks last week at very good money for instance.

Edited,
Dave, I'm probably too far away to sort your amp and speakers, what did you have in mind?