Movistar ADSL price increase...

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Movistar ADSL price increase...

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:55 am

Every company has their own. Orange & Jazztel are the only ones who have installed fibre optic so far where I am.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks to Sid giving the encouragement I needed, I have finally jumped ship and deserted Movistar after 18 years!
I applied online yesterday to Orange for their Canguro Ahorro package which is pretty much the same as Movistar's Fusion. I had to accept their phone help, because during the online application they offered a further €30 discount if I had a friend currently using Orange; they will also get €30. Unfortunately, the website would not recognise my friend's details, so the phone rep took over the application. I received an SMS stating the details of the service I had contracted at €56.95 and with a link to the downloadable contract, which showed the correct price of €55.95 less discounts (€35.16 for the first 3 months). After several conversations with Orange, I gave up and accepted their excuse that the SMS was an Automatically Generated Error that they couldn't rectify! One minus point to Orange. Also, their website clearly states that if applying online, calls from landline to mobiles are free 24/7, yet the contract states they are only free between 20:00-08:00; explanation: Website Error that they can't change. Second minus point.
Otherwise, so far so good. An engineer arrived today and installed the new router and I'm up and running with "300 mbp/s fibre optic". Speedtest.net shows 133mbp/s while testdevelocidad.es shows 291mbp/s :wtf: What gives? My WiFi devices are showing between 20 and 30mbp/s
I have to return my Movistar equipment to one of their shops. I called them for the cancellation code mentioned by Sid, they said I don't need one. The landline should be switched over tomorrow (it's currently disconnected) and the mobile when I go to the Orange shop to collect my new SIM - probably also tomorrow.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Miro wrote:
I have to return my Movistar equipment to one of their shops. I called them for the cancellation code mentioned by Sid, they said I don't need one.
Don't believe them - that was they told me at first. The girl in the shop said it was essential. I tried 1004 again and (at her suggestion) insisted on a "Codigo de Baja" and got one. When I went to the shop with the equipment it was just a case of entering the code on their computer and a receipt was issued.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks again Sid. I waited until everything (landline, internet, mobile) were all up and running before calling 1004 and obtaining the "codigo de baja". All done and dusted now, without too much trouble, but I have to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the fibre optic. Very variable speed test results, the internet radio drops it's connection every couple of hours for no apparent reason, and I still get occasional buffering when watching live TV through Filmon/Chromecast, which surprised me. A speedtest on my mobile last night while using it to cast Filmon live via the WiFi and losing the signal halfway through the United game, showed a download speed of around 0.5mbps! I switched the router off and rebooted, and then got around 50mbps. Missed a goal while messing around :roll:
Still, at least it's cheaper than Movistar!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Good to hear you sorted out the Movistar return. The speeds you are getting look really odd. There is no way you should get 0.5mb. Also if you are getting such a big drop on your WiFi compared to the direct connection, either you are half a mile from the router or there is something wrong with the router. I would call them in again.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:05 pm

The router (Livebox) has two WiFi signals, 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz. Apparently the 2.4 ghz only gives WiFi speeds of up to 50mbps. None of my wireless devices pick up the 5.0 ghz signal.
Something strange is happening though, because as I said, the radio keeps dropping out, and the TV stream stopped (due to the 0.5mbps speed obviously) until I rebooted, after which is was fine.
I have set the channel to a fixed one (by default it was on auto) thinking this might help, but no difference.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:44 pm

Just wondering if you saw yesterday's news that Orange prices (you know, the ones that are "para siempre") are going up another 3 euros/month tomorrow.

http://www.xatakamovil.com/orange/la-hi ... ra-y-movil

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Terrific. You just brightened up my weekend :evil:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:09 pm

A note of thanks to Sid for the codigo de baja instructions. I followed them this morning and, despite a shop clerk who wasn't the most knowledgeable, after filling in the same details on four different screens, I received my receipt for Domo phone and router. Thank you Sid.
Brian.