Samsung Smart TV hub updated today

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Samsung Smart TV hub updated today

Postby olive » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:07 am

I think it was today. I caught a flash across the top of the screen saying now stream videos and so on.

Was it a major upgrade ? If so what does it give us that we didn't have or know we needed? :lolno:

Tried to find info online but all I could see was :

Samsung's Allshare creates a wireless home network so you can enjoy content from Samsung compatible devices, like a PC or camera. Now you can easily share content, ranging from photos, videos and music, on your Samsung Smart TV.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Samsung Smart TV hub updated today

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:14 am

The sharing feature has been around for some time and it only works with Samsung products.

I think there may have been a change to the Smart Hub. I have an H series Samsung and that came with the original Smart Hub. The new J series has a new Smart Hub running on a different operating system called Tizen.

About a week ago, I noticed that something had changed on my H series. It was only a small difference, but the way it handles the various icons at the bottom of the screen have changed, and looking at the promo pictures for the J series Tizen hub, the layout seems to be the same which would suggest that they have upgraded the existing H series to look more like the new Tizen hub.

That's just a guess as I have not seen anything online to confirm that and anyway, so far it doesn't seem to have made any significant difference.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:04 pm

There has been talk of mirroring features on windows 10 that is supposed be compatible with Samsung TVs.

PCs with Intel i5,i7 processors, intel graphics cards and Intel WiFi adapter that supports Miracast can mirror to TVs that support it.

It's confusing because different manufactures call it different names. For example, LG calls their Miracast support “SmartShare,” Samsung calls it “AllShare Cast,” Sony calls it “screen mirroring, ” and Panasonic calls it “display mirroring.”

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:32 pm

I don't suppose that has anything to do with what happened to me last night, or am I so far behind and this is the norm? I had film on running via chrome cast on to my my old samsung series 5 smart tv, ( the tv is also connected to my modem with a cable). Walking past the computer decided to shut it down for the night. Some time later went into the room where the tv is and filmon (BBC1) was still running? Perhaps some kind soul can explain how this happens.:)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:43 pm

As I understand it, the stream you see on the TV is coming direct from the Internet. You used the PC to set it up. But once it is "casting" the PC is free to do other things so turning it off will not stop the stream.

I don't use Chromecast, but I understand that it can also "mirror" the display on the PC which would of course stop if the PC is turned off.

Sid

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks Sid for explaining that.